Science: Space - the final frontier (Misc.)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
IMO, when it comes right down to it, these tourist 'space' launches are a distraction, and not to mention a huge waste of money and huge carbon footprint, when these resources could be better directed to real space exploration. Play things for the 1%ers and probably the reason its shaped like a giant penis.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I watched the last musk launch and didn’t know they use kerosene for fuel.
was going to watch the Big P launch but they were on hold and I had to leave.
From what I read the BE-3 engine that is used for the New Shephard reusable launch vehicle is fueled by liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
James Webb Space Telescope launched on Saturday, Dec 25 at 12:20 UTC from Guiana Space Centre. Webb Telescope liftoff aboard Ariane 5 rocket. James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a space telescope being jointly developed by NASA, the European Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency. It is planned to succeed the Hubble Space Telescope as NASA’s Flagship astrophysics mission. With revolutionary technology, Webb will observe a part of space and time never seen before, providing a wealth of amazing views into an era when the very first stars and galaxies formed––over 13.5 billion years ago. Webb is NASA’s largest and most powerful space science telescope ever constructed. Webb’s enormous size and frigid operating temperature present extraordinary engineering challenges. After launching from French Guiana, the observatory will travel to an orbit about one million miles away from Earth and undergo six months of commissioning in space—unfolding its mirrors, sunshield, and other smaller systems, cooling down, aligning, and calibrating.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
James Webb Space Telescope launched on Saturday, Dec 25 at 12:20 UTC from Guiana Space Centre. Webb Telescope liftoff aboard Ariane 5 rocket. James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a space telescope being jointly developed by NASA, the European Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency. It is planned to succeed the Hubble Space Telescope as NASA’s Flagship astrophysics mission. With revolutionary technology, Webb will observe a part of space and time never seen before, providing a wealth of amazing views into an era when the very first stars and galaxies formed––over 13.5 billion years ago. Webb is NASA’s largest and most powerful space science telescope ever constructed. Webb’s enormous size and frigid operating temperature present extraordinary engineering challenges. After launching from French Guiana, the observatory will travel to an orbit about one million miles away from Earth and undergo six months of commissioning in space—unfolding its mirrors, sunshield, and other smaller systems, cooling down, aligning, and calibrating.

Interesting that it only sees in the infrared spectrum, which is why it's orbit is so far out

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Mark your calendars and keep all fingers and toes crossed.......this will be a big one! Saturday March 12

NASA has completed an assembly of the Artemis I rocket, which will be used to launch the Orion crew capsule on an uncrewed mission around the moon in 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padreruf and Bamaro

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The International Space Station to be retired and crashed into the Pacific Ocean

NASA intends to keep operating the International Space Station until the end of 2030, after which the ISS would be crashed into a remote part of the Pacific Ocean known as Point Nemo, according to newly published plans outlining its future.

Launched in 2000, the space lab has orbited 227 nautical miles above Earth with more than 200 astronauts from 19 different countries enjoying stints aboard -- representing a continuous human presence in space.

Reactions: Bazza

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It is already happening.

Back to the actual topic since this is not the political board. I have been watching a few YouTube channels the past few years, and it is absolutely frightening to see the number of things from space that can kill us. We could get hit by a giant asteroid and never even see it coming and even if we did what could we really do about it?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Back to the actual topic since this is not the political board. I have been watching a few YouTube channels the past few years, and it is absolutely frightening to see the number of things from space that can kill us. We could get hit by a giant asteroid and never even see it coming and even if we did what could we really do about it?
Nothing political about the mass extinction event happening globally right now. Nothing at all.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
For the record: There is nothing political about stating a fact.

For instance: A number of species have gone extinct. (fact)

It is estimated that up to 150 species are lost each day. (estimation based on facts).

The vast majority of these extinctions have been/are being caused by man's activities on the planet. (fact)

Many more species are in danger of going extinct in my lifetime. (fact)

If we were to begin assigning blame to a political party here or abroad (especially here) then that would be politics.

Broadly saying something needs to be done to save habitats and species is not politics, though when we get into the weeds of exactly what policies should be implemented we do cross over into politics. Everything else can be verified and there is really no factual debate, but venturing into policies can be problematic on this board.

I want to repeat that stating verifiable facts about the world is not political in and of itself.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.