Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What I would love to see is some kid who jumps in the portal after the season ends (possibly due to a coaching change), signs with a school that offers him stupid money, gets paid big up front by some naive booster collective, then bolts back to his original program - cash in hand - when the post-spring window opens.

I'm not saying it will happen or even could happen, but that would absolutely cause the system to melt down.
The first question that came to mind was, " Is there anything to prevent it? " We are, after all, living in a time in which the landscape of college athletics is akin to Tombstone or Dodge City of the 1880`s.

Reactions: Bamamatt12

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The first question that came to mind was, " Is there anything to prevent it? " We are, after all, living in a time in which the landscape of college athletics is akin to Tombstone or Dodge City of the 1880`s.
I don't think any collective nowadays is stupid enough to pay it all up front... :unsure:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
A 218 lb 3* LB. That doesn’t impress me at all.
Doesn`t really have to. The people who REALLY have a tangible stake in the wisdom in such decisions is the coaching staff. Then again, my attitude as to who we do and don`t sign has changed since the college game went over the cliff. I admit I used to be more emotionally tied to recruiting . Now....not so much.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Jacobs would likely be a backup, that's true but we lack experience at ILb in the two deep and he was very good in kanes system.

His other options are ole miss mizzou and auburn. Thats impressive. Id rather get him than he go elsewhere.

I keep hearing conflicting reports on if he's committing to us or not but Greenberg is the most respectable of those takes.

Auburn is willing to drop a bag here and we likely aren't. So we will see. Has two years left and thats a pretty big deal if he comes to us.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
No, I wasn't assuming anything. On paper, it just didn't look like an Alabama linebacker. I'm sure he did great at South Alabama. Maybe he will for the Tide as well.
In 2016 someone named Jake Steinberg did some research on Pro Bowl players. He found that 37 of the 88 players that were selected to the NFL Pro Bowl were 3-star or lower recruits. We shouldn't be so star struck when evaluating players that we ignore the coaches' evaluations. Look at what Jacobs did at USA. That is more of an indicator of his ability. There is a reason why other SEC schools are interested in him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In 2016 someone named Jake Steinberg did some research on Pro Bowl players. He found that 37 of the 88 players that were selected to the NFL Pro Bowl were 3-star or lower recruits. We shouldn't be so star struck when evaluating players that we ignore the coaches' evaluations. Look at what Jacobs did at USA. That is more of an indicator of his ability. There is a reason why other SEC schools are interested in him.
I think paying attention to the stars isn't fool's gold until a respectable coach gives a scholarship to a 3* player. In that case, I'm going with the coach's decision that he sees something the keyboard warriors do not.

I'll also say this, once the kid plays two years in college the recruiting stars they were assigned coming out of HS are irrelevant, IMO. Now if they were to "re-rank" them with stars based on their two years in college I would probably put more credibility into the transfer ranking.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
What I would love to see is some kid who jumps in the portal after the season ends (possibly due to a coaching change), signs with a school that offers him stupid money, gets paid big up front by some naive booster collective, then bolts back to his original program - cash in hand - when the post-spring window opens.

I'm not saying it will happen or even could happen, but that would absolutely cause the system to melt down.
We're getting to see a bit of it with the whole Jayden Rashada saga.

The lawsuit alleges the $13.85 million, funded by “Hathcock’s Gator Guard collective” was promised to Rashada on December 7, 2022. The Gators’ backers also arranged a payment to Rashada to help pay off money owed to University of Miami booster John Ruiz after the quarterback flipped his verbal commitment from the Hurricanes, per the suit.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If "promised" means there is a contract that can be produced to substantiate this then they have a case. But if it was nothing more than a verbal promise, then the kid and his family are out of luck.

View attachment 42486
How do you prove "that he never intended to pay"? :unsure:

I mean you could prove it.........if he never had that kind of money in the first place, but in this case he did.

People change their minds for whatever reasons. If the kid committed without a signed contract, then he was a fool. If there was a signed contract, then it would be a slam-dunk case, but it doesn't sound like there was one.

I'm not taking sides here, but the courts are chock full of stupid litigation.:rolleyes:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
A 218 lb 3* LB. That doesn’t impress me at all.
Being fair, i understand.

That's said he pops out on his highlights and likely knows he will need to add at least some size to play in the sec, which he intends to do.

Also I can't help but think he'd add some help at the tweener lb/db role we have in dime formations.

Hes a good pick up for whoever gets him and that offer list doesn't happen for no reason.

Last edited: