UAB's Bill Clark stepping down due to health concerns

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I've been an admirer of Bill Clark for quite a while. Dude can flat out coach and really hate to hear he had to step down due to health concerns. Not sure UAB can continue to compete at the same level without him. Sad day. Prayers to Coach and his family.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Wishing Coach Clark a rapid recovery. Before Clark, UAB was not only a blah football program but was shut down for two years. They have winning records every year since and multiple bowl games—an incredible coaching job. It’s hard to measure what an accomplishment that is; but when SMU football was shut down (different era, different circumstances) they never really recovered, much less got better. I think Clark is a great coach who deserves a lot of respect.

Reactions: CoolBreeze and Con

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We have been Bill Clark fans and believers since his Prattville days. Wishing the best for him and his family.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Man, this bums me out. I enjoy watching the Blazers primarily because of him. Hopefully he can make some kind of comeback after he recovers.

ETA- I like the fact he was straight up about his issues. I understand some wanting privacy on matters like this. But he was honest and this isn’t one of UM’s “health concerns.” A breath of fresh air in the modern coaching world. Also, I bet he’s around the program especially if they hire within.

Reactions: CoolBreeze and Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Really stinks for Clark, and for UAB football. He must be in a ton of pain, with no letup, to resign at this point in the year.

I’m guessing Clark and the AD are hoping he’ll be healed enough to resume duties after this coming season. If not, they’ll be forced to move in a different direction, reluctantly, I’m sure.

Meanwhile, if I‘m in the AD’s shoes, I’m finding an off-field position for Clark. He presents a great public image, and has unquestioned UAB bona fides.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Have followed him since his days at Prattville when my kids went to HS there. I’ve admired what he has accomplished everywhere he’s been, but also wondered why he never took a major job. He will likely become special assistant to the AD where he will basically deal with boosters and help fund-raise and still pull down a 6 figure salary—good for him. He inherited a complete mess at UAB and made it into something that it had never been.

Last edited:

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
The UAB message board crowd is a jaded, skittish bunch. They don't doubt the health issues, but think the retirement now, as opposed to a leave of absence, is a way for him to leave a legend and pursue a P5 job when healthy.

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
As someone who had back surgery last year and at some point will have to have the surgery he’s gonna have I can honestly say this is the right move. The pain is total and inescapable. Good for him for making it as long as he did but once they fuse that’s a wrap for any kind of mobility and/or normal life. I hope once he recovers he can be an analyst somewhere if he so chooses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.