Update on possible upgrades to Coleman Coliseum ...

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I've heard from contractors relatively recently that asbestos abatement isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be. Of all the reasons to possibly not tear it down, I can't imagine asbestos being one of them.
What I've seen is that the decision to not completely demo was made fairly early. Also, it looks like they're going to take out pretty much everything and just leave the shell. Seems like incrementally it wouldn't be that much more to take it all down.

ETA - it originally cost 4.2 million to build Coleman lol

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've heard from contractors relatively recently that asbestos abatement isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be. Of all the reasons to possibly not tear it down, I can't imagine asbestos being one of them.
That's good news. I had to tear down an old bar which was located on estate property I was responsible for. When the contractor discovered it, he called me back and exercised the loophole in his contract, doubling the price...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
As long as they do it correctly a reno to Coleman could be good enough. The roof and the seating are what needs to be addressed the most, IMHO. The roof makes Coleman perhaps the most hideous looking building on campus and the quonset hut style doesn't do it any favors on the inside either. The seating in some areas is awful. I sat in one of the upper corner seats for a game in the early 2000's and they should have paid me to sit there it was so awful. I went to Tuscon for the AZ game 3 years ago and sat in a upper corner seat and had a great view. If they will do the reno the right way and not just lipstick on a pig AND they get on it fairly quickly then I think most fans would be happy with the results.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My opinion is that Coleman should continue to be used as a women's facility for gymnastics and volleyball. We could build an arena on 15th street where the new road is by the law school. UA already owns most if not all of the property there. There would be no remediation or demolition cost for Coleman so in the end it will cost less.

Reactions: Tide Rev

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Plantersville, MS
I played there in 1979 in the State Playoffs. Lighting was terrible on both wings on each end because light reflected off the backboard right into your eyes. Was down on the floor last time I was there a couple of years ago and that problem still remained. I have never understood that or why that would not have been fixed after all these years. Could be the reason for our historical shooting woes. Build another one.

Reactions: TexasBama