JessN: Vanderbilt wrap-up: Commodores can find no safe harbor amid Tide's onslaught

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Vanderbilt wrap-up: Commodores can find no safe harbor amid Tide's onslaught
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-in-Chief

How many puns about leaky boats, rudderless ships and choppy seas can writers make about Vanderbilt football?

There's no sure way to tell, but a near-century of Commodore failure hasn't exhausted the supply yet.

The only downside to opening SEC play against Vanderbilt is that you really can't evaluate anything in a meaningful way. Sure, Alabama rolled up 500 total yards before the end of the third quarter. Yes, Alabama blocked exquisitely for Bryce Young, opened copious holes for its running backs, and stifled a Commodore offense that, by all rights, had actually begin to show a pulse.

CONTINUE READING

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Thanks Jess.

We all know the transitive property doesn’t really apply to college football, and yet I can’t help noting that yesterday UK, at home, beat NIU by a narrower margin than Vandy did on the road just one week prior; and that Vandy generated more total offense and points on the road versus Hawaii than did Michigan in Ann Arbor a couple of weeks later. This is not say that VU is in the same class as UK or Michigan, but rather to wonder if there might be more to them than they showed last night? Or maybe, just maybe, more to Alabama than the first three games showed?

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thanks Jess.

We all know the transitive property doesn’t really apply to college football, and yet I can’t help noting that yesterday UK, at home, beat NIU by a narrower margin than Vandy did on the road just one week prior; and that Vandy generated more total offense and points on the road versus Hawaii than did Michigan in Ann Arbor a couple of weeks later. This is not say that VU is in the same class as UK or Michigan, but rather to wonder if there might be more to them than they showed last night? Or maybe, just maybe, more to Alabama than the first three games showed?
I like where your head's at. I think our defense is insanely good and I think the Vandy staff would agree this morning.

Ledsteplin

All-American
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Earle didn't look great last year. And he had a lot of drops in the Championship game and in the A-Day game. I think it'll be tough him working into a starter role. We certainly have a lot of weapons at WR.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Earle didn't look great last year. And he had a lot of drops in the Championship game and in the A-Day game. I think it'll be tough him working into a starter role. We certainly have a lot of weapons at WR.
True. I remember some young player named Thomas committing back to back PI penalties in the final minute against tOSU in the 1986 Kickoff Classic, almost costing us the game. I wonder what became of him

Latest threads

Amazon Prime / TideFans.shop

Your purchase through our Amazon affiliation and TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!