Week 9 top chef winner & loser

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Some of you really outdid yourselves showing you may be better pit masters than top chefs. Let's take a look at the dishes with some comments from the judges.

derek4tide, your dishes got us off to a good start. We all love veggies on the grill and yours were no exception. Give me a BBQ pit and a garden and I could turn vegetarian. Nick and I both went for the hot eggplant. To be honest I wasn't crazy about the maple syrup on the ribeyes but the ribs were very good. The salad was fantastic but we all agreed we had that salad before so that made it less special.

Dr Bama, I had fresh grouper for the sandwich that we had for lunch one day and fresh yellowtail tuna that we had for dinner both were outstanding. That was my first ginger aioli but it won't be my last. I have done the fennel dry rub before but we had fresh tuna so the dish was good but nothing special to us. Nick loved the lamb chops, so did I but Nick liked them better. The grilled pineapple and rum reduction all of us made several times, it was that good.

WAW4TIDE, ok you got married and tan big deal now on to your dishes. The grilled corn cobs sucked but we tried it again using corn on the cob and it worked. I'm a big fan of messing around with corn on the cob on the grill. The grilled fish and fruit dish I used a fresh caught mahi mahi and Nick used swordfish steaks. This dish was a home run and could be on any menu. The grass fed steaks none of us could get, they are special order and more expensive, real expensive for me but those onion bombs were a favorite of Matt. Matt went through a sack full of onions last week. I have been making a version of the onion bomb for years filling the hole in the center with butter, honey and a pinch of salt. We eat them like baked apples they are so sweet and good. Nick was fond of the Greek Hobo, said it reminded him of his family. Nick said it was a little better if you add a pinch of cinnamon or allspice. I tried it both ways and have to agree with him. The dish was good as it was but better with the added spice, we ate these for a couple of days in pita pockets for lunch or a TV snack. All three of us agree you are the winner this week but I failed to mention that there would be no immunity this week as the three finalists go against each other. Congratulations.

ditchdoc, your pig in a hole was something none of us could actually try out. Nick and I both have done more than one whole pig and not always on a fancy smoker or pit. Small whole pigs can only be had certain times of the year and this isn't one of those times, 60 pounds was the smallest I could order. We felt you tried to play it safe this week when everyone else actually went bigger than you. Unfortunately for you it's time for you to pack your knives and leave. We enjoyed many of your recipes and hope to see more in the future but you are not our Top Chef.

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
I humbly bow before the masters, and present my knives. It has been an honor competing against some awesome chefs!!! After seeing the other post on here, I really did not see myself surviving this week. Congrats To my fellow competitors and best of luck!!!:BigA:
After the Week 10 Comp, I will post an awesome recipe that all of you will love!!!

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I humbly bow before the masters, and present my knives. It has been an honor competing against some awesome chefs!!! After seeing the other post on here, I really did not see myself surviving this week. Congrats To my fellow competitors and best of luck!!!:BigA:
After the Week 10 Comp, I will post an awesome recipe that all of you will love!!!
Congrats for making it to the final 4, quite an accomplishment. We thought some of your dishes were really good and look forward to more from you.

Just wait till you see what the final competition is. ;)

WAW4Tide

1st Team
Sep 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the win...bummer on the no immunity...do i get a weird advantage like on the show...ex. Only I can use salt...just kidding:biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.