Question: What was the best team Alabama ever beat?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What was the best team Alabama ever beat? A lot of really good ones lost to the Crimson Tide.
Nominee who shouldn't be: 1992 Miami. Not to diminish what Alabama did, but put them in the 1992 SEC and they lose at least 3 games. They BARELY beat a 6-5-1 Arizona team ON THEIR HOME FIELD - and only because the Arizona kicker missed a game-winning FG at the end. Florida State beat them every way except the one that counts. And they would have lost to Syracuse had QB Marvin Graves not been forced to waste a timeout on the final drive in the waning moments when he suddenly vomited on the Carrier Dome rug.

Miami played all of 2 decent teams and had 3 close calls. That's a whole lot more "Auburn luck" than "GOAT" to me. They just get the shine because of the Miami dynasty preceding it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In my view, it's a tossup between 2011 LSU and 2009 Florida.

1982 Penn State was also a good team.

Look at who they beat:

8-4 Maryland with Boomer Esiaison (EOY #20)
12-1 Nebraska with help from the refs (EOY #3)
9-3 West Virginia with Jeff Hostetler
8-3-1 Boston College with Doug Flutie, the #8 passer in CFB as a sophomore
9-3 Pitt (EOY #10) with an injured and thus drafted lower Dan Marino
#1 UGA, taking a huge lead and coasting

They also beat a Notre Dame team that was ranked #13 in November on Game Day but imploded. And except for Nebraska, none of those games was really close.

On top of that, they were in a dogfight for 55 minutes against then #2 Alabama on the road when the wheels came off in the final 5 minutes and the final score looks like a stampede. Our boys were fortunate to escape with a win that day, that was a good Penn State team.

Penn State faced eight teams that won 8 or more games, including four that won 9 or more back in the days of the 11-game schedule and went 7-1 and 4-0 against the 9-win or more teams.

People forget them because they take one look at the final score of the Alabama game and assume it was a blowout when it wasn't; just like the Sugar Bowl against UGA looks like a close game but wasn't. It was briefly close thanks to a sensational TD just before halftime and the first drive of the 2nd half, but Penn State otherwise was never in danger of losing, leading the entire game from scoring on their first drive in less than 3 minutes.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Look at who they beat:

They also beat a Notre Dame team that was ranked #13 in November on Game Day but imploded. And except for Nebraska, none of those games was really close.

On top of that, they were in a dogfight for 55 minutes against then #2 Alabama on the road when the wheels came off in the final 5 minutes and the final score looks like a stampede. Our boys were fortunate to escape with a win that day, that was a good Penn State team.

Penn State faced eight teams that won 8 or more games, including four that won 9 or more back in the days of the 11-game schedule and went 7-1 and 4-0 against the 9-win or more teams.

People forget them because they take one look at the final score of the Alabama game and assume it was a blowout when it wasn't; just like the Sugar Bowl against UGA looks like a close game but wasn't. It was briefly close thanks to a sensational TD just before halftime and the first drive of the 2nd half, but Penn State otherwise was never in danger of losing, leading the entire game from scoring on their first drive in less than 3 minutes.
I was at the Penn State game. We were never behind, and up by 2 tds at the half. But Penn State hung in and we were still up but Penn State was driving. Then a big third down stop and Penn State punted - into a Penn State blocker. Recovery and a Bama TD. Then a Bama pick 6 to get to 42-21.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was at the Penn State game. We were never behind, and up by 2 tds at the half. But Penn State hung in and we were still up but Penn State was driving. Then a big third down stop and Penn State punted - into a Penn State blocker. Recovery and a Bama TD. Then a Bama pick 6 to get to 42-21.
I saw the game years later and was shocked. I had one helluva good reason why I didn't see it: I was living in Germany and we got ONE LIVE SPORT on AFN.

And that same day....we got....

Retrosheet Boxscore: Milwaukee Brewers 9, California Angels 5

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
At least they were good teams. Brewers lost the WS iirc
What's sad is during that game we were at a guy's house who was originally from somewhere close enough to Milwaukee that he was a lifelong Brewers fan (well, they were only 12 years old at the time but anyway) - and he got a call that his mother was on her death bed. He was on a plane in the morning from Frankfurt and gone a week.

Us being junior high kids, naturally, we wanted to know if he went to the World Series. :)
No, he buried his mother.

Reactions: TexasBama

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018

Look at who they beat:

I remember reading that the '82 Penn State was the first national champion to have more passing yards than rushing on offense and the first national champion to play what was determined as the toughest schedule in the country.

They played six top-13 teams (at the time) including teams ranked #1, 2, 4 and 5 at the time.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads