Winston and Hendrix draft status.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
1,284
6
57
52
Nashville, TN
According to Kevin Scarbinsky yesterday on www.al.com, Winston and Hendrix are projected mid-to-late 2nd rounders. This comes from the NBA's undergraduate advisory committee, which called CMG to tell him the news.

Scarbinsky makes a good point about the draft next year. If KW has a solid senior year, then he could be a first-rounder because of the NBA adopting the 20-year-old age limit.
 
Here is the direct link:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/kscarbinsky.ssf?/base/sports/1114334796292340.xml

I'm still not convinced he slides out of the first round. NBADraft.net and Draftcity.com both are still projecting him in the first round, and looking over the names around him, I'm not sure who would pass him in the pecking order. I think Scarbinsky is trying to compare apples and oranges, but I loved it when he quoted Tubby as saying that Cadillac and Ronnie made themselves another $10 million over their careers by staying for another year. Remember an athletes playing career is a finite commidity, the higher percentage spent getting paid will of course result in a higher total all things being equal.
 
I've heard it said that if KW stayed he could be mid first round because of the rule change. I doubt that he slides as far as mid second if he stays in the draft this year (which I wxpect him to do). My guess is late 1st to early second.

I've seen mock drafts where Hendrix does not even go in the second round.
 
What I have heard (not from great sources though) is that KW is going because of great financial need in his family, and won't be back regardless of his draft position. That does make since as we awarded a scholarship in the late period, which we might have held onto had we any real hope of KW returning. If KW does change his mind we will have to remove someone as a scholarshipped player, as we are now at the NCAA limit of 13.
 
Great financial need....???? I could have sworn that that was KW getting out of a new black Lexus at the game. That kind of monthly payment would put me in great financial stress.

With the 4 Carolina boys and Mr. Illinois coming out now KW's position in the 1st round just got a bit more crowded. I still think he will go. Don't the teams in the NBA let the players know that they are interested in drafting them, or do they not know until the last minute?
 
As great as it would be for Kennedy to come back and play one last year, it is not going to happen. Winston looks like he just doesn't truly want to be here. You need to remember that UA was not his dream school or even his first choice to play ball at. So Winston has viewed his stint at UA as just that: a stint.

Furthermore, Winston probably would have left after his sophmore year. However, he probably realized that another solid year could bolster his draft stock and that he could be apart of a team that continued with their elite 8 run. This season however failed to do both. Winston knew that his stock shifted very little over this year despite a solid effort and that it would take a magical season to move him much higher on the draft board for next year. Winston also saw that this team is great team, but it is not a team that can expect to make another run at the championship national and may not even finish atop their division next year (LSU will be the BMOC in the SEC west).
 
rolltideas said:
With the 4 Carolina boys and Mr. Illinois coming out now KW's position in the 1st round just got a bit more crowded. I still think he will go. Don't the teams in the NBA let the players know that they are interested in drafting them, or do they not know until the last minute?

Yep with the recent addition of May, Williams, and Felton thats just 3 spots Winston loses. I dont see him goin in the first.
 
bamabballer said:
that scholly may have contingencies or grade problems for Coleman.

I have not heard anything about grade problems for Coleman. I have heard that Sean Taylor was considering transferring because of PT issues. He has already been red shirted, saw very limited PT this year as the #4 "Big", and with the addition of Hendrix, Taylor would slip to at least #5 in PT. Personally I don't think the scholly is contingent. I believe that privately KW told the staff that he would not be back no matter what.
 
thesnowman8 said:
Anyone heard if KW could possibly return? I personally would love to have him AND Hendrix in T-Town next year.

Nope, looks like he's satisfied with a year of NBA ball, then heading over to Europe to play for 5 years where each year someone posts "where is KW now?".
 
TexasBama said:
PS: If Winston was prime-time enough for the first round, we wouldn't have got knocked out of the NCAA by Wisconsin- Eau Claire or whoever the heck they were.

Yeah, cause nobody whose team lost in the first round of the NCAAs has ever gone in the first round of the NBA draft. :rolleyes: FYI the other team that lost to Wisconsin-Milwalke (sp?) was Pittsburgh. Their player Chris Taft is being touted as a possible lottery pick. So how did they lose?
 
Ooops!

Bama-94-00 said:
UW-M beat Boston College in the NCAA tourny 2nd round and lost to ILL in the next round.

You are correct my bust, Pittsburgh lost in the first round to Pacific, and Chris Taft does play for them however. Another first round victim was Kansas and Wayne Simien is rated even higher than KW is. So my point of whether a guy won't get picked in the first round because of his teams performance in the NCAA is still valid. Heck it may even be stronger now that I figured out which Yankee team is which. BC, Pitt, not a lot of difference :blush:
 
Advertisement

Trending content

Advertisement

Latest threads