BCSCG ticket prices are cheapest in several years

DWiser

1st Team
Sep 21, 2003
Columbus, MS
I just saw an ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls13/story/_/id/10250044/2014-vizio-bcs-national-championship-tickets-cheapest-14-year-history) that said tickets to this year's BCSCG are the cheapest National Title game tickets in years ($799/ea median). Last year, the average ticket was $1,459 (Bama vs ND) and the year before was $1,528 (Bama vs LSU). The last time tickets have been below $1,000 was in 2011, when a certain team that is in this year's game played (Barn vs Oregon); tickets were $925 on average...

Think the cheap prices are a coincidence? Nah, I don't either!

Go 'Noles!!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Been keeping track of this the past couple of weeks, and I find it pretty interesting, especially given how much Auburn fans blew up the ticket market for the BCSNCG against Oregon a few years back. I think you've got three issues here subduing ticket prices:

(1) It's a very long trip for both fan bases, not like relatively short ones like we had in 2011 and 2012, or like Florida had in 2008.

(2) FSU really doesn't have that big of a core fanbase that will travel especially well. They've got a solid core, but a lot of their fanbase has always been make up of bandwagon types.

(3) Auburn fans probably expect they are a bit of a longshot to win, and no one wants to spend several thousand dollars just to see their team lose in the BCSNCG.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Slight correction: the article states the median price (i.e. middle value if you sorted all values), for this game as well as the other recent BCSNCGs. Instead of average I think you meant to say 'median'.

The average would be too high a number here because the few people who pay $10,000 for a 50 yl box seat skew the numbers higher than the 'typical' fan paid.

I'm shocked some tickets are below face value. Wow. Auburn should have put up billboards around Birmingham specifically advertising these tickets.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Been keeping track of this the past couple of weeks, and I find it pretty interesting, especially given how much Auburn fans blew up the ticket market for the BCSNCG against Oregon a few years back. I think you've got three issues here subduing ticket prices:

(1) It's a very long trip for both fan bases, not like relatively short ones like we had in 2011 and 2012, or like Florida had in 2008.

(2) FSU really doesn't have that big of a core fanbase that will travel especially well. They've got a solid core, but a lot of their fanbase has always been make up of bandwagon types.

(3) Auburn fans probably expect they are a bit of a longshot to win, and no one wants to spend several thousand dollars just to see their team lose in the BCSNCG.
Actually, Auburn didn't light up the prices the last time. This year is the cheapest EVER BCS ticket. The next cheapest, the last time the Barn was in the game. I see a trend...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A Barner friend told me that he witnessed a man selling a ticket in 2010 outside the stadium. He was asking $1500 and someone walked up and gave him $1700.

They said there were 1000s of Barn fans who were willing to spend big bucks on tickets but the demand was so high that there were not enough tickets to go around.

So they say 2010 was the highest priced ticket in the history of the BCS.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Is anybody watching coach on Gameday right now? Do you see how empty the stadium is in Pasadena?

Someone needs to start a game thread so we can start picking this game apart :cool:

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011

Auburn is a lot like Florida State as far as fan bases go. Both are localized with lots of bandwagon types. As for expectations of winning, Auburn fans think they are unstoppable now and will be unstoppable forever. They expect to put at least 40 on FSU and win in a track meet.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
A Barner friend told me that he witnessed a man selling a ticket in 2010 outside the stadium. He was asking $1500 and someone walked up and gave him $1700.

They said there were 1000s of Barn fans who were willing to spend big bucks on tickets but the demand was so high that there were not enough tickets to go around.

So they say 2010 was the highest priced ticket in the history of the BCS.
So you are telling me the au fans aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack? So you are selling a ticket for 1500? Oh yeah! Well I wont pay less than 1700 for it and thats final!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.