What Are Clemson's Weaknesses?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's actually had six straight 10+ win seasons and is 69-13 (.841) over the last six seasons, 88-28 (.759) overall at Clemson. He has won five ACC Atlantic division titles and three ACC titles. The man can coach.
I was counting W/O Watson (2011-2014*) since the poster I quoted was implying he couldn't do it without Watson. When in fact he accomplished this with Boyd (a 6th round pick), and Cole Stoudt (an UD 1 year qb that is an assistant coach at JSU).

* Watson technically was there but did not start due to injury

How many games do they lose this year if not for Watson? Let's see what he does without an allpro at qb.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
What's the point of speculating what a coach would do without talented players at key positions? A coach's duty includes recruiting and coaching up talent. It would be the easiest thing in the world for Dabo to squander DeShaun Watson, and for nobody to know his name. But he's a legitimate Heisman contender that has made dominant defenses look really bad at times. Credit goes to Watson AND the coaching staff. Alabama, of all programs, should appreciate the importance of attracting and developing talent, and putting it into a position to succeed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
People have mentioned Clemson's rush defense being 19th in the nation. I just finished the overall defensive stats for them on the season. Their opponents averaged 193.37 rushing yards per game not against Clemson (this includes Georgia Tech's 271, Louisville's 239, Ohio State's 258, and Pittsburgh's 230).

Clemson held teams, on average, 70.3 yards below their rushing average.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe I should give my answer what I think is their weakness. Its going to sound weird but I think its Deshaun Watson and Clemson's heart. Yeah I know they are without a doubt their greatest strengths, but football history usually favors the team that won the first time. I think Clemson will come out fired up, but once they get popped they will go into here we go again mode. I think Deshaun is going to try to put Clemson on his shoulders when they start getting that feeling, and that hasn't been a real great thing for them this year. DW has been more turnover prone this year, and him trying to win the game by himself plays into our strength.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
If Clemson's weakness is their secondary and tOSU can't throw the ball then it was a matchup nightmare for the Buckeyes. Bama can and will throw the ball effectively against Clemson.

I've mentioned this in a different thread, but Bama's D has practiced all year against a dual threat QB that can scramble as good as DW. I know Jalen ran the scout team last year but practicing for a week is a lot less beneficial than for an entire season. I suspect DW will be much better contained this year with less time to pass.

I also expect Bama to spy DW from the get go. And as the poster above said, there's no way DW has the same kind of game he played last year.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The key is to get to Watson before he makes his second and third reads. DL has to control their gaps and make sure he doesn't escape. Collapse the pocket on him and make him throw under pressure.
The only score of the night for Washington happened because we didn't do this. That 3rd and long play that Browning took off on when we didn't have anyone in the middle of the field extended that drive. If we would have had the gaps covered, they may not have even sniffed the endzone. I thought when I saw nobody in the middle he would do that and he did. I never noticed it anymore during the game though. Maybe we didn't get spread out like on that play or maybe the coaches harped to the d-line to push the pocket instead of allowing the o-line to just allow them to fan out.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I'm probably just re-stating what others have said in a slightly different way, but I think the finite nature of adrenaline is a weakness for Clemson. The national championship stage historically favors the more business-like teams over the rah-rah squads, but conversely we can't let things get a away from us early on like Ohio State did and let them dictate the terms for the rest of the game.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
One inconvenient truth on our end. We did not have a single sustained drive against Clemson last year. Not one. Every score occurred or followed a really big play. We talk about granding away and keeping the ball away from Watson. But we haven't shown we can do that against Venables' defense. We can't count on uncovered receivers and kick returns this time around.

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
One of Clemson's weaknesses appears to be overconfidence. Watson has thrown a lot of interceptions. Sometimes his overconfidence overrides good judgment. The biggest mistake you can make is underestimating your opponent. I think Bama had that problem last year after destroying Michigan State. OSU has a good defense, but their offense has had problems all year. Very few defenses can hold up when their offense consistently goes three and out. I hope after the 31-0 win over OSU, they do believe they are ten feet tall and bullet proof.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
One inconvenient truth on our end. We did not have a single sustained drive against Clemson last year. Not one. Every score occurred or followed a really big play. We talk about granding away and keeping the ball away from Watson. But we haven't shown we can do that against Venables' defense. We can't count on uncovered receivers and kick returns this time around.
Not true, our last TD was an 8 play 75 yard drive that took 3:33 off the clock. That doesn't count as a sustained drive? The FG early in the 4th capped off an 8 play, 64 yard drive. The TD in the 2nd quarter came on a 7 play, 42 yard drive (don't punish the O because the D INT at the 42). To say we had no sustained drives is a bit miss leading IMO. Yes, we had plenty of big plays but, we also had a few nice drives as well.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
And the year's defense is improved over last. I'm just not nervous about this one, I have a feeling last year was the anomaly.
I waffle back and forth from your point of view to manic depression. I should probably watch some of their games. All I can picture is the game from last year which is obviously not the same team - though not drastically changed either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
I waffle back and forth from your point of view to manic depression. I should probably watch some of their games. All I can picture is the game from last year which is obviously not the same team - though not drastically changed either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The game against us last year was the best game of Watson's career. The dude was dropping dimes the whole game. You will not find another game where he balled out like that. Their team will expect him to repeat that performance, and they will be in for a rude awakening.

GA_Tide

1st Team
Aug 24, 2006
Canton, Ga
I chalk that up to Clemson being ultra aggressive and crowding the line of scrimmage. They gambled and when they lost or had a coverage breakdown it was a long TD.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
More than 60 yards of the last drive were on one play.

The field goal followed a 40 yard pass.

The touchdown after the interception was on a short field.

I understand your points. But we we scored four touchdowns on a kick return, two total coverage busts and OJ's 60 yard dash after a five-yard lateral pass. We never consistently knocked Clemson off the ball. Fortunately, we had more explosive plays in one night than at any point in the season, with the possible exception of the Miss. State game in Starkville. ( Cyrus punt return, Ridley juke and run; two blasts by Henry)

I hope we get that kind of production again -- as long as there's a plan B.

Not true, our last TD was an 8 play 75 yard drive that took 3:33 off the clock. That doesn't count as a sustained drive? The FG early in the 4th capped off an 8 play, 64 yard drive. The TD in the 2nd quarter came on a 7 play, 42 yard drive (don't punish the O because the D INT at the 42). To say we had no sustained drives is a bit miss leading IMO. Yes, we had plenty of big plays but, we also had a few nice drives as well.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The only score of the night for Washington happened because we didn't do this. That 3rd and long play that Browning took off on when we didn't have anyone in the middle of the field extended that drive. If we would have had the gaps covered, they may not have even sniffed the endzone. I thought when I saw nobody in the middle he would do that and he did. I never noticed it anymore during the game though. Maybe we didn't get spread out like on that play or maybe the coaches harped to the d-line to push the pocket instead of allowing the o-line to just allow them to fan out.
we were out of position on 2-3 plays on that drive giving up big gains.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
People have mentioned Clemson's rush defense being 19th in the nation. I just finished the overall defensive stats for them on the season. Their opponents averaged 193.37 rushing yards per game not against Clemson (this includes Georgia Tech's 271, Louisville's 239, Ohio State's 258, and Pittsburgh's 230).

Clemson held teams, on average, 70.3 yards below their rushing average.
That seems pretty good for them actually. How would you rate that?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That seems pretty good for them actually. How would you rate that?
Based on those numbers, it appears Clemson held teams to an average of just over 60% of their typical rushing yardage. At that rate, Bama would gain 148 yards rushing.

By way of comparison, Alabama has held opponents to an average of 29.9% of their rushing yardage this season. At that rate, Clemson would gain 52 yards rushing.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Getting back to the original question, one thing you notice is that teams commit lots of penalties against Clemson.

Auburn - 9
Louisville - 11
NC State - 13
FSU - 13
VT - 8
OSU - 8

The Pitt loss? They committed just 3. I don't think it's any stretch to say that Clemson is sitting with at least three losses and not in Tampa on Monday night if teams don't shoot themselves in the foot over and over. If we stay disciplined and don't give them free yardage, we should be okay.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.