Tidewater and TIDE-HSV meet for lunch - at a Cajun restaurant, amid LSU colors...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I must visit this place the next time I go up there. I've been obsessed with moufalettas since I saw them on tv years ago. McAllister's Deli is the only place around here with them but I'm sure they're no where as good.

Also made me laugh to see that purple paint spot on the wall. The Cajun place I worked years ago had yellow walls with red splotches done very similarly.
If you're in Birmingham, Brick & Tin downtown has a "New Orleans" sandwich which is muffuletta-inspired: "salami, capicola, mortadella, provolone & olives on focaccia". It's quite good.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I must visit this place the next time I go up there. I've been obsessed with moufalettas since I saw them on tv years ago. McAllister's Deli is the only place around here with them but I'm sure they're no where as good.

Also made me laugh to see that purple paint spot on the wall. The Cajun place I worked years ago had yellow walls with red splotches done very similarly.
Don't know if all these places are still in business, but here's an article from five years ago about authentic muffulettas in Birmingham. Brick & Tin is mentioned.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/02/where_is_birminghams_most_auth.html

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

There's not a place in Montgomery? This city is so random with food options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
There's not a place in Montgomery? This city is so random with food options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not that I've found but it's entirely possible that I've missed a few. There aren't many Cajun options around in general. Our Place Cafe in Wetumpka is one of the only places with some items & they don't have one.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Don't know if all these places are still in business, but here's an article from five years ago about authentic muffulettas in Birmingham. Brick & Tin is mentioned.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/02/where_is_birminghams_most_auth.html
Much to our delight, we found several places around town that come close to getting it just right — from Alfredo’s Pizza Cafe in Crestwood to Muffaletta’s Pizza & Pasta in Bessemer to Sol’s Sandwich Shop & Deli downtown.
I'va had the muffaletta at Muffaletta's within the past 5 months. I am not enough of a connoisseur of muffalettas to know what keeps theirs from being "just right". I know I was miserable after eating it; either too much olive oil or the fact that I ate the whole thing.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I worked in New Orleans for about 4 years in my younger days. A large group of friends and I went to the 92/93 sugar Bowl against Miami.
I took them to a small off the beat restaurant that used newspaper for tablecloths. They still brag about the food to this day along with how inexpensive it was.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Uncle Mick's Cajun Market in Prattville is very good. That's where I buy my hot Boudin from. Not sure if he has Muffaletta's or not though. Giovanni's in Sylacauga has some I know.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'va had the muffaletta at Muffaletta's within the past 5 months. I am not enough of a connoisseur of muffalettas to know what keeps theirs from being "just right". I know I was miserable after eating it; either too much olive oil or the fact that I ate the whole thing.
I order mine with the olive salad on the side. They overdo it. I usually can only eat about a half of the 8" diameter. If they put it on, when I get home, the lower bun has become olive mush. An hour or so after TW and I met, we had a hellacious storm. Power and net have been out for over 24 hours...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
TW, you actually look like a personable human being. I had envisioned a slender, ramrod straight fella maybe wearing a Battle Flag T-shirt.
Thanks for the picture Boss Man
Seebell, I'm very personable. (Actually, Earl said I was different in person than what he had anticipated from my online persona).
Next time I'm in Alabama, you're on the list. We may not delve deeply into politics, but the first round is on me.

Heck, I'd even buy 92Tide and Jon a beer, but I don't get inside the Belly of the Beast too often. (I'd drive a long way out of my way to avoid Atlanta.)

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Po Boy Factory is definitely some good grub! I try to go there on my lunch break, as often as I can. They are usually pretty crowded during the work week, (naturally) and I only get 30 minutes, so it isn't as often as I'd like that I get to go.

I Love their muffuletta's, as well as their shrimp po boy's! Seeing this thread has me craving one, so I guess I'll be running a little over on my lunch break tomorrow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Po Boy Factory is definitely some good grub! I try to go there on my lunch break, as often as I can. They are usually pretty crowded during the work week, (naturally) and I only get 30 minutes, so it isn't as often as I'd like that I get to go.

I Love their muffuletta's, as well as their shrimp po boy's! Seeing this thread has me craving one, so I guess I'll be running a little over on my lunch break tomorrow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TW may have gotten the shrimp Po Boy...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He hasn't taken me up on my offer yet. He does tax work so has probably been too busy - but now that we're well into May - I need to send him an email reminder. Will keep you posted... :)
My stepson's restaurant is getting good reviews there, Baz... :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Huntsville. The restaurant owners are originally from LA. It's called "The Po Boy Factory." I usually have the moufaletta, of which I can only about finish about half, since it's a full 8" in diameter. It's one of the most popular restaurants in town. Really down home place...
We are in Huntsville all the time and that is one of my favorite sandwiches to eat. I'll have to check it out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.