QB Competition 2018

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
And the question then becomes "If Tua unseats Jalen next spring/fall what does Jalen do?"
I know there's a general thought that Jalen doesn't have the lateral quickness to play RB, and on the surface that would be the case and I would agree.

Then there is the case of Derrick Henry, who was not quick at all laterally. He DOMINATED a year of college football and if he was getting more carries would probably dominate the in the NFL also.

it's also likely Jalen's never really focused on lateral agility and quickness due to his position. With a little work he might improve it greatly. He has the strength and agility so it could just be a matter of reps.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know there's a general thought that Jalen doesn't have the lateral quickness to play RB, and on the surface that would be the case and I would agree.

Then there is the case of Derrick Henry, who was not quick at all laterally. He DOMINATED a year of college football and if he was getting more carries would probably dominate the in the NFL also.

it's also likely Jalen's never really focused on lateral agility and quickness due to his position. With a little work he might improve it greatly. He has the strength and agility so it could just be a matter of reps.
You may be right, but try another example. Henry was the best RB in the history of HS football. He was HUGE, and he knew how to use his size to his advantage with one of the sickest stiff arms in the game. If Jalen makes it at RB, he just doesn't have the size to mimic Henry's game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You may be right, but try another example. Henry was the best RB in the history of HS football. He was HUGE, and he knew how to use his size to his advantage with one of the sickest stiff arms in the game. If Jalen makes it at RB, he just doesn't have the size to mimic Henry's game.
Yeah - wouldn't think jalen could pattern his game after henry at all. Just that there are other things that can make a great RB. Even though jalen is 'smaller' he might actually be stronger due to his powerlifting background, plus the kid threw shotput and disc in HS, so I'm not so sure he couldn't figure that stiff arm out. he's definitely got more leg strength and power than Henry displayed.

All that said, even though I am very concerned about the QB position, I'd prefer to see jalen progress on the things he needs to develop on with being able to make fast reads and improve his release speed and timing. He's been a great player so I'd prefer to see him develop versus move positions, but we just have not seen enough of it yet versus Tua. Would be great to see them both getting meaningful time next year.

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Terrelle Pryor is another example. If he hadn't switched positions he wouldn't even be in the NFL anymore. Meanwhile, Tebow insisted on being a QB and is now playing baseball...
Another one that's a parallel is Kordell Stewart (aka slash) with the Steelers. He played QB at Colorado.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Said this from the start. IMO Hurts will be here his full four years. The question is will Tua?
i hold out some hope that Tua will be willing to wait as long as he's getting some time. He knew the situation with Jalen when he came to Bama and that it was pretty likely he'd be in competition with Jalen for at least two if not three years. I'm also sure there are some great stat's out there for how many NFL QBs waited until their 3rd or 4th year of college to be a starter that Saban will continually use to try to bolster Tua into staying, learning, and then getting to show what he has when his time comes. I'm sure there are examples of first round picks who didn't start till later in their college years.

My own point only holds if Tua somehow either starts or saves the day this postseason. I can't see the former SEC player of the year finishing his career on the bench, and I can't see him beating out Tua if Tua somehow replaces him in the biggest game of the year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My own point only holds if Tua somehow either starts or saves the day this postseason. I can't see the former SEC player of the year finishing his career on the bench, and I can't see him beating out Tua if Tua somehow replaces him in the biggest game of the year.
I think that Tua's only opportunity to take over will take place in the off-season. For all of the fun posts about putting him in throughout the game against Clemson, I just don't see it happening. That is a lot to ask of Tua without having put him in that position against lesser competition earlier in the season. But, to be more clear, I think that Saban has a lot more confidence in Jalen than we do.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I think that Tua's only opportunity to take over will take place in the off-season. For all of the fun posts about putting him in throughout the game against Clemson, I just don't see it happening. That is a lot to ask of Tua without having put him in that position against lesser competition earlier in the season. But, to be more clear, I think that Saban has a lot more confidence in Jalen than we do.
That's fine. You are not alone in expecting Jalen to play, but when I said as much above, Tide-HSV mentioned a certain expectation that Tua would play. It seems like playing Tua can't be ruled out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Something that I wonder about in this game - when Jalen has time, he is a very good passer. Will Clemson continue to just rush 4? If so, I think that Jalen will have time, and I think that he might have a pretty awesome day. But when Clemson blitzes, Jalen has to recognize it and get the ball out quickly. I love Alabama's naked screen play in those situations to either a RB or TE.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Something that I wonder about in this game - when Jalen has time, he is a very good passer. Will Clemson continue to just rush 4? If so, I think that Jalen will have time, and I think that he might have a pretty awesome day. But when Clemson blitzes, Jalen has to recognize it and get the ball out quickly. I love Alabama's naked screen play in those situations to either a RB or TE.
I can't see their DC sticking with a 4 man rush if they aren't getting pressure. He's been really good in the past at generating pressure from multiple spots. If I were him, given he probably sees exactly what you see, I'd be bringing an unbalanced pressure from Jalen's right, to push him left (harder throw) and get him jittery to take off, and have my quickest LB or S spying him to limit the run. That's what really limited Jalen in the past so no reason to not try that again until Jalen proves someone wrong with a short pass right over the pressure...

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think both Jalen and Tua are very talented. Each has his own strengths and I'd love to see us put together a package for each of them that maximizes their talents. I know it's hard for an offense to be consistent and develop an identity when you alternate QBs with different schemes. But it sure would be hard to game plan against us if we could manage to do that. And I'd hate to see either of them leave the team for more playing time elsewhere.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't see their DC sticking with a 4 man rush if they aren't getting pressure. He's been really good in the past at generating pressure from multiple spots. If I were him, given he probably sees exactly what you see, I'd be bringing an unbalanced pressure from Jalen's right, to push him left (harder throw) and get him jittery to take off, and have my quickest LB or S spying him to limit the run. That's what really limited Jalen in the past so no reason to not try that again until Jalen proves someone wrong with a short pass right over the pressure...
That is exactly what I would do.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yep, and in addition, that's the weaker side of the OL...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Unfortunately Aub got pressure with four, so ... yeah.
Yes, they did get pressure with 4 but there were still WRs (most notably JJ and Ridley) wide open if Jalen had just stepped up into the pocket and made the pass. Any elite defense we play will push the pocket and get pressure. Jalen has to learn / or be coached to use his athleticism to move the pocket to make a game breaking pass rather than try to run out of every situation. This is especially true if he wants to have a shot in the NFL - use your athleticism to extend the play and make a pass rather than try to run..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yes, they did get pressure with 4 but there were still WRs (most notably JJ and Ridley) wide open if Jalen had just stepped up into the pocket and made the pass. Any elite defense we play will push the pocket and get pressure. Jalen has to learn / or be coached to use his athleticism to move the pocket to make a game breaking pass rather than try to run out of every situation. This is especially true if he wants to have a shot in the NFL - use your athleticism to extend the play and make a pass rather than try to run..
One thing that would GREATLY help Jalen is simply moving side to side and/or up and over WITHIN the pocket. A shuffle step to the left or right can buy you literally two more seconds in the pocket. Simply because part of the pocket has been compromised doesn't mean it's time to bail the entire pocket. Much like "stepping up" within the pocket, when the back of the pocket is collapsing. There's no need to completely bail. Just move to a different part of the pocket.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One thing that would GREATLY help Jalen is simply moving side to side and/or up and over WITHIN the pocket. A shuffle step to the left or right can buy you literally two more seconds in the pocket. Simply because part of the pocket has been compromised doesn't mean it's time to bail the entire pocket. Much like "stepping up" within the pocket, when the back of the pocket is collapsing. There's no need to completely bail. Just move to a different part of the pocket.
To add, the center of your o-line actually holds up pretty well against good d-linemen. He could absolutely step up on most plays.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
MY opinion only—The remaining one or two games, I think, should help determine what direction we choose to go in next year. Either Jalen proves he can run a consistent passing attack against very elite competition or we need to give Tua a chance.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
To add, the center of your o-line actually holds up pretty well against good d-linemen. He could absolutely step up on most plays.
This is true, I know the o line has received criticism but I think our oline is better than often given credit for. Most olines receive the most pressure on the ends in regards to just about any dline they face. I think some perception of the oline this year has been based on the bail and runs or holding on to the ball too long by the qb (not saying there hasn't been breakdowns by the oline at times) I think the inside pocket has been there for the most part but instead of stepping up, the qb bails, sidesteps or escapes have been to the outside or toward the pressure. Now the Clemson dline may be a different story but having gone back and watched some games online, there were far more inferior olines to ours that actually held their own or did a commendable job against them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.