Have the Olympics Run its Course in History

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ar...r-the-games-end/ss-BBIPo3G?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

Came across this article with pictures of past Olympic venues left to ruin. I have thought for sometime that the cost to host countries is enormous and in the long run is their any real benefit to the Olympics? I have no idea what it cost to field an Olympic team but in today's world it seems a huge waste of money. Thoughts?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
atlanta and salt lake city did it right, Very little waste here as the olympic village became dorms on Techs campus. The stadium is being used by Ga State, aquatic center is at Tech, equestrian and soccer at UGA, centennial park is still in use etc. In fact the Atlanta story would be even better if we didn't just needlessly replace our dome

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I enjoy watching the events, but I wouldn’t miss them if they never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think the winter games have ever been that big in the South, with nothing to relate to. I've done a lot of the sports, from ice skating to cross-country skiing to downhill skiing. I think that has a lot of to do with it...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nobody likes the winter sports. They are boring and the US doesn't dominate like the summer games.
I wouldn't say "nobody likes winter sports" - if we view that through Earle's comment about the South then it makes more sense.

Granted, I bring the baggage of five years living in Europe (three in UK, two on mainland during the Cold War). One of my best friends is from a small town in northern Minnesota just outside Canadian border (she was high school classmates with one of the guys on the "Miracle on Ice" team) - and she LOVES certain events that she
can relate to - ice skating, hockey, even the Zamboni race.

I think the whole everything has changed, though. We USED to ASSUME the innocence of it all - we now know better. In fact, Americans (and I'm thinking more specifically of the Summer Games) were a lot like college football fans - "we're number one, but if we lose, the Eastern bloc/Soviets cheated." Plus, we kinda made it stupid when we decided to send the Dream Team in 1992, and we only did that because we'd lost in 72 (robbed) and then 88 (and we only lost then because John Thompson was more interested in showing the world the Georgetown way than in actually winning the gold medal).

I'll bet everyone here old enough remembers the name Ben Johnson (and probably what he is famous for). I watched years ago as Carl Lewis shot his mouth off about how difficult it was to stand there with Johnson winning what should have been "his" gold medal and knowing all the while Ben was "dirty." Of course, in 2013 the hypocrisy of Lewis comes out when it's revealed he not only tested positive, he did so THREE TIMES prior to the Olympics, meaning he shouldn't have even been there.

Yet most folks don't even know that and Carl Lewis is seen as an all-time great Olympian who did it cleanly even if he couldn't sing the National Anthem worth a damn.

Lewis was worse than Johnson (and an arrogant snot when the inconsistency was pointed out). Johnson did drugs and was humiliated worldwide. Lewis did drugs and won the gold medal and piled on what a dirty guy Johnson was - and turns out he was just as dirty, but he gets to keep the gold medal he didn't deserve and hide behind "well, that was the climate then."

And I think there's now enough suspicion on things like that, questionable judges rulings (boxing in 84 and 88, gymnastics in whenever that was), and outright theft (72 basketball) that folks don't care anymore. We all saw Lance Armstrong "never fail a drug test" while running a dirty operation. And throw in the baseball steroids stuff and I think most folks just shrug anymore. (It's the same reason you're not gonna score any points on Trump's not illegal adultery from years ago - in part due to so many politicians being dirty and in part because of the new rules set by the Lewinsky saga, nobody really cares in the larger picture).

One other thing: a lot of things owed their fame to being on TV when there were three channels and even color TV was kind of new. So the Olympics was different programming. It's kinda like Evel Knievel - does anyone have that big a name as a daredevil nowadays? I don't know of any. If I have to actually pay close attention
to what daredevils do then he's not Evel Knievel, whom people who knew nothing about stunts knew his name and that he was kinda nuts.

To give another example:

Game 7 of the 1967 World Series (Cards-Red Sox) was played on a Thursday afternoon in Boston while people were still at work. TV audience was 40 million in a nation of 198 million people.
Game 7 of the 2016 World Series (Cubs-Indians) was played on a Wed night prime time. TV audience was 39 million in a nation of 323 million people.....and even
that was the first time in 25 years that they approached that number.

The point being we're beyond the time when folks just put on the Olympics when nothing else was on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think many like myself are tired of politics being a part of sports. Of course the athletes have the right to speak their minds, but keep personal political opinions away from sports.
I'd be curious as to why the 1968 Black Power salute, 1972 Munich attack, 1980 and 1984 boycotts, and 1996 Centennial Olympic bombing (which was over 20 years ago)
didn't have this same effect.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I actually like the Winter games more than the Summer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think that the Cold War poured a lot of emotion and political significance into the games.
The ending of the Cold War meant a lot of that drama went away.

For me, the 1972 basketball final between the Soviets and the US amateurs destroyed a lot of the joy of watching. The Bulgarian, Brazilian and British officials simply cheated the US out of the gold medal. Blatantly, deliberately and with malice aforethought. It was a travesty.
I'm still ticked off about that and I don't even like basketball that much.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Anyone who watches basketball and thinks the refs are bad nowadays should watch the end of that 1972 Olympic medal game. This was just the worse call ever. The US still has not accepted the silver medal.

I do enjoy some of the Summer games. I just don’t find the Winter games even remotely interesting. Part of my boredom with any Olympics this year comes from watching a lot of it during my recovery time. My surgery happened right when the Olympics were going on in 2016. I honestly got tired of it.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm fairly ambivalent.

There are a lot of reasons for doing it and a lot of reasons it's silly and should be put aside - like a lot of things in life.

The only thing that is REALLY annoying me this year is the ludicrousness of the media's coverage of North Korea. Their fantasy of the games legitimately positively influencing relations between NK, SK and the West is pure folly - and worse than that, it's self-aggrandizing folly and another opportunity for the media to fall in love with themselves.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It's still getting 20 million people watching here. I may not really care about Winter Olympics but a lot of people obviously do. I do enjoy the Summer events a lot more.

The waste of these venues after the fact would seem to fall more on the countries rather than a condemnation of the whole games.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
There used to be a lot of cold war nationalism involved in the interest but that is mainly gone. I watch neither the summer or winter but many still do. If you have any doubt just look at how much NBC paid to broadcast them. However there is a huge cost of infrastructure waste in building stadiums and other venues. Some are used afterwards, many are not.

Just a few, there are many, many more

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have not watched the Olympics since 1972 and that was on and off. I really feel that the Olympics, like all televised sports are over exposed. The NFL, NBA, MLB and now even college football and basketball can be seen almost any night of the week during prime time. For me, it is way too much; I had rather watch reruns or cable channel movies.

I do agree with Tidewater that the end of the Cold War has impacted interest in the Olympics. It used to be the US vs USSR, good vs evil; it is now US vs Russia or China, evil vs evil.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Anyone who watches basketball and thinks the refs are bad nowadays should watch the end of that 1972 Olympic medal game. This was just the worse call ever. The US still has not accepted the silver medal.
Well, the Bulgarian ref was getting his marching orders from the KGB.
The Brazilians ref just had little man syndrome.
The British in charge of the International Basketball Federation acted like some GI during World War II stole his girlfriend.
For those America-haters around the world that hate seeing the NBA all-stars as the US olympic team can thank that game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.