Auto lovers - what's your ride? (post pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Happy Easter!

From her website (which BTW is a very cool name):

ODDLY ARTISTIC

STORY OF AN AUTOMOTIVE ARTIST
I grew up on a small farm is rural Georgia about 80 miles outside of Atlanta. My mother was an artist. She always let me play in whatever art supplies she had and constantly encouraged my creativity. My father was a big fan of classic cars and always had a project car in the garage to tinker on. I pursued a business degree in college and moved to the Atlanta metro area about 11 years ago for work. Art has always been my passion though and I have been pursuing it as more than a hobby for the last few years.

The majority of my recent work has been classic cars reimagined in psychedelic colors.
I think automobiles used to have an artistic quality that has been lost over the years. I also think you can still see the beauty in them, even before they have gone through restoration. I still like wandering junkyards with my camera looking for the next work of art that I can bring to life.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Don't remember if I ever posted a pic of the Cuda.

Sold it, last August. Being broke stinks.

OK...............the seating position is no longer comfortable, with my back problems.
73_cuda.jpg

Good thing I sold it when I did. The ignition switch shorted out, right before Thanksgiving, and burned up the wiring harness, inside the steering column. Luckily, a new harness came with the switch. But, there was still damage to the part that was not removable. I think they are still working on it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Don't remember if I ever posted a pic of the Cuda.

Sold it, last August. Being broke stinks.

OK...............the seating position is no longer comfortable, with my back problems.
View attachment 8128

Good thing I sold it when I did. The ignition switch shorted out, right before Thanksgiving, and burned up the wiring harness, inside the steering column. Luckily, a new harness came with the switch. But, there was still damage to the part that was not removable. I think they are still working on it.
Yours looks like a rather "tame" example.

I'm not familiar with how these cars were offered from the factory other than most seemed to have racing stripes, fancy hood scoops, and fancy wheels - not to mention some very bright paint schemes.

If possible, I would love to know more about your car's back story as it relates to it's journey from the factory.

Sorry about the sale....BTDT. Like me, it will probably haunt you for eternity.... :(

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yours looks like a rather "tame" example.
Sometimes referred to as a "sleeper". You do not know what has. I do............

I'm not familiar with how these cars were offered from the factory other than most seemed to have racing stripes, fancy hood scoops, and fancy wheels - not to mention some very bright paint schemes.
Yeah, they made 'em that way, but...............

All of that stuff added to the cost, and made my insurance guy less likely to carry me. Besides, I was not interested in "Leroy bait".

If possible, I would love to know more about your car's back story as it relates to it's journey from the factory.
Well, from the dealer, with taxes and what-not, it was a few dollars over $3k. All I could afford, at the time.

Sorry about the sale....BTDT. Like me, it will probably haunt you for eternity.... :(
No, not really. Time for someone else to enjoy it. He drives it to work every day. The folks he worked with asked him how long it took to restore it.

"As long as it took to save enough money to pay the owner the asking price."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
2013 Porsche Boxster.

Boxster.JPG

Has some things on it I didn't know about, didn't pay for, and was later educated on the fact that they're unusual for a base model (i.e., not a Boxster S, and certainly not a Spyder).

Main thing is PCCB carbon brakes. I'd had the car about 2 years, totally ignorant that the car had them and what they were. Then, a more knowledgeable owner told me. Ordered new, it's about a $10K option. I bought the car used from CarMax, and certainly didn't pay for that.

Advantages: Incredible stopping power. If you don't race the car and don't abuse the brakes, they'll last well over 100K miles. Bad news is when you finally do have to replace the rotors, and if you use the PCCBs, it's a $20K to $25K job. Not a typo. Twenty grand plus. Just the rotors themselves are right at $5K apiece.

Fortunately, Brembo makes a steel rotor that substitutes right in. Still not cheap, but about 85% better than the alternative. I might have sold the car if I hadn't been told about that.

Also has dual exhaust and contrasting silver paint on the rear wing and the side air intakes. True three-pedal 6-speed manual, no PDK.

Kind of spartan on the infotainment system, but it's huge fun in the spring and fall.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
2013 Porsche Boxster.

View attachment 8333

Has some things on it I didn't know about, didn't pay for, and was later educated on the fact that they're unusual for a base model (i.e., not a Boxster S, and certainly not a Spyder).

Main thing is PCCB carbon brakes. I'd had the car about 2 years, totally ignorant that the car had them and what they were. Then, a more knowledgeable owner told me. Ordered new, it's about a $10K option. I bought the car used from CarMax, and certainly didn't pay for that.

Advantages: Incredible stopping power. If you don't race the car and don't abuse the brakes, they'll last well over 100K miles. Bad news is when you finally do have to replace the rotors, and if you use the PCCBs, it's a $20K to $25K job. Not a typo. Twenty grand plus. Just the rotors themselves are right at $5K apiece.

Fortunately, Brembo makes a steel rotor that substitutes right in. Still not cheap, but about 85% better than the alternative. I might have sold the car if I hadn't been told about that.

Also has dual exhaust and contrasting silver paint on the rear wing and the side air intakes. True three-pedal 6-speed manual, no PDK.

Kind of spartan on the infotainment system, but it's huge fun in the spring and fall.
Sweet Boxster, 4Q!

That's incredible about the brake system! Amazing it wasn't featured on the listing when you bought it.

The old expression about stopping power is "the hand of God comes down". They also say in the performance/restoration industry to prioritize getting your brakes working first and then work on the engine.

When I had my first Porsche - an '81 911SC - I retrograded the brakes with a 944 turbo brake system which included larger rotors and twin piston Brembo calipers. Porsche comes out of the box with fantastic brakes system but it was really nice having even better stopping power. Especially while on the track.

Thanks for sharing and happy motoring!

Reactions: seebell

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My best friend / neighbor growing up had multiple cars. His father had a used car dealership and my friend even at a young age knew the value of cars.

He had a 68 Camaro RS - candy apple red that was beautiful. All kinds of chrome and a perfect leather interior.

He also had a 69 Chevelle 454 SS with a Hurst shifter that, when he cranked it up in his garage, my bedroom window would vibrate 1/4 mile away. The prior owner raced it on the drag strip and never lost. These were beautiful, fantastic cars that he maintained as if they were works of art. We would go to school in one of them (3 miles away) and I would give him gas money because of the poor gas mileage. The Chevelle got gallons to the mile, not the other way around.

Me? I drove a Chevy Cavalier that had been wrecked 3X (4 if you count the wreck I had at 16). So, I lived vicarously through my friend :D

The Chevelle looked very much like this:

and the Camaro very much like this:

Other friends drove '55 - '57 Chevys and other classic cars that were fun to ride around in on weekends :)

And mine looked very much like this... :D

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I drove a Chevy Cavalier
I drove one of those once. Back in the early 90's a salesman left one at our store for a week or so, so I used it to commute, instead of my usual company pickup.

I kept hearing this loud thumping from the back of the car every time I went around a corner. When I got home I opened the trunk and there was a reel from a gang mower in there. He was from the golf course side.....go figure.... :LOL:

That car was a blast to drive though - very peppy!

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
My Current Ride is an '01 Benz Roadster. Its fun to be a 6 banger and gets pretty good mileage.29313377_2264673776892650_8994632820383023104_n.jpg

But the 2 cars I kind of miss from the days of my youth were both sticks. 68 MGB-GT
MGB3-940x705-1.jpg

and an 89 Fox body Mustang GT
1989_ford_mustang_gt_5-0_1577468920bc798a4C174283E-1057-4C74-A0E2-5C3F8667CD68-940x627.jpeg

I went through at least 3 sets of tires on that car before I had to grow up a little :D

Reactions: Bazza and seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
My Current Ride is an '01 Benz Roadster. Its fun to be a 6 banger and gets pretty good mileage.View attachment 8416

But the 2 cars I kind of miss from the days of my youth were both sticks. 68 MGB-GT
View attachment 8417

and an 89 Fox body Mustang GT
View attachment 8418

I went through at least 3 sets of tires on that car before I had to grow up a little :D
Wooooo......NICE Benz! :D

Buddy of mine had a MGB-GT in BRG just like yours. Had the overdrive option too, which he cherished. :) He also had a MGB at some point - and an Austin Healy - and a bunch of others sports cars. Now his ride is an S2000.

Reactions: TraskiTideFan

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
Wooooo......NICE Benz! :D

Buddy of mine had a MGB-GT in BRG just like yours. Had the overdrive option too, which he cherished. :) He also had a MGB at some point - and an Austin Healy - and a bunch of others sports cars. Now his ride is an S2000.
Yep, my dad made sure I could turn a wrench on that car when I turned 15. He made me pull the motor and do the tear down on it to start with. It was the cast iron 4 cylinder with dual Webers and 4 speed manual. Unfortunately all British manufactured models from the 60's and 70's were wiring nightmares. 😬

Reactions: Bazza
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.