CFP Scenario - #1 - What would you do?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
BUT .... BUT ..... Cincy would be UNDEFEATED. That is automatic qualifier for many people -- even though they have zero chance against upsetting two top four teams in a row.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Easy. Leave out Cincinnati. Think of it this way... Consider if you had to bet your house in any of these matchups...
Cinc. vs. UGA
Cinc. vs. Bama
Cinc. vs. Okla.
Cinc. vs. Ohio State
If you'd take Cincinnati in any of these matchups, then that's the team you'd leave out. But if you wouldn't take Cinc. in any of these matchups, you leave Cinc. out. I'd leave Cincinnati out.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The reality is, more teams are going to lose. Maybe Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State and Michigan beat each other up and ruin the Big 10s chances.

Maybe we lose to a very good Georgia team whose DL looks like it would dominate our OL. Or we just have another ATM game vs Auburn or something.

Maybe Oklahoma and Oklahoma State choke and then play each other.

Maybe Dan Mullen pulls a rabit out of his hat and finds a way to beat Georgia.

Maybe Oregon drops another game to USC or whoever

I just think there is likely to be more "chaos" this season but that so called "chaos" will provide more clarity on who makes the playoffs

Reactions: scrybe and B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Every fan in America would say Cincy should be left out, but they won't be. In an age of hyper fairness and equity, they get in. The bigger debate is who of the one-loss teams gets left out? It seems like it would have to be one of the SEC teams. Surely it wouldn't be fair to have them both in ;) (even though, again, every fan in America would say they were both top 4 teams). If UGA is left out, the state of Georgia's meltdown will be nuclear.
100% on point, imo.

Also keep in mind that if the CFP doesn't want to expand, the easiest way to shut down the loudest voices is to allow an undefeated G5 team in. By leaving Cincy out (assuming they win out) the cry for 'expansion for fairness' will be more deafening than ever...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
  • Cinci wins out going undefeated
  • Ohio State runs the table
  • Oklahoma wins out going undefeated
  • Georgia goes to the SECCG and loses to Bama
  • Bama wins out
Who do you take?
Always the 4 best teams and IMO the playoff committee has been perfect in getting in the 4 best teams every year ... if based on now but this scenario holds, Cincinnati goes to a very nice bowl game. You can't leave out either 1-loss Bama or 1-loss Georgia (these are the 2 best teams in the country). Can't leave out an undefeated Big 12 Champ. Then it comes down to Cinc. or Ohio State ... gotta take a Big 10 Champ over a team who only plays one or two teams with a pulse and goes undefeated. Otherwise, you're not putting in the 4 best teams, you're only putting in novelty. That's what the big non-playoff bowl games are for.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Jerry Palm, CBS Sports bowl expert, has Bama playing Okie St in the Sugar Bowl (NY6), with Georgia in the playoff against Cincy in the semifinal. Apparently, he doesn't think Bama can win out, especially against Georgia. The Tide will, hopefully, prove him wrong.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
even with a head to head win over Ohio State you think?

Kentucky also has an opportunity to be 11-1 with their only loss being on the road against a potential* playoff team
Right. Because of SOS.
They won’t have a chance to build a resume while tOSU will have beaten Mich State, Michigan, and Penn State. All Top 10 teams in this scenario.

good wins will trump the head to head. That why Oregon is ranked behind them now.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Cinci, Oklahoma, Bama and Georgia (if the game against Bama is close). If by some chance, Bama beat Georgia easily and Ohio State runs the table without any close games, then I think they are in ahead of Georgia. Georgia did just barely beat a average Clemson team.

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
It would all depend on how bad BAMA beat Georgia. If we were to expose Georgia, and win a blowout, they would take Cincy. And, that is a possible. WH
I don't see Georgia getting blowout. They are a focused team. Kirby did something different this offseason, or/and they have real leadership in the locker room.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
There's no way Cincinnati gets in if Bama, Oklahoma and Ohio State win out and Georgia has only a loss to Bama. I think if we beat Georgia in the SECCG we deserve the #1 seed. I'd have the teams seeded as follows:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Their DL would eat our OL alive. We also have to still play in JHS, and I don’t need to go into the weirdness that happens in that place.
I'm just saying a lot remains to be seen. Their offense is average. I still think our offense can improve to the point of being able to put up points on their defense. It's which team's weakness is the weakest?

Auburn does concern me. If the West division is on the line... well I don't want to say it. I think Auburn loses between now and then which will change the tenor of that game tremendously.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm just saying a lot remains to be seen. Their offense is average. I still think our offense can improve to the point of being able to put up points on their defense. It's which team's weakness is the weakest?

Auburn does concern me. If the West division is on the line... well I don't want to say it. I think Auburn loses between now and then which will change the tenor of that game tremendously.
Their offense is ranked like 15th in the nation. Just saying…

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.