Question: What is this team’s biggest obstacle to winning a National Championship?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
They are their own worst enemy...lots of talent, but inconsistencies show up from week to week. Pretty normal for a "young" squad -- I know I've been beating this drum all year, but it's true. If we can somehow win out we have a great chance in the playoffs.
I totally agree with you. I’ve been hoping that the maturity would come by years end

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Youth and lack of experience are our cause for inconsistency. Not sure we can overcome that by the end of this season.

Reactions: Rush

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Got to clean up the coverage busts and create a more consistent pass rush without blitzing. As CNS said a lot of self inflicted wounds.

Reactions: ATLBAMAFAN

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I agree on consistency.

I’d specify line play.

Our problems on OL and DL aren’t born of inexperience. At this point in the year, we might mature out of a bit of inconsistency due to youth.

I’m not sure we can mature out of getting physically beaten way too often by inferior talent.
On one play last night Evan Neal completely ignored Byron Young who was lined up just off his left shoulder giving him an unimpeded direct path to Bryce Young. Perhaps with more experience Bryce will move up to the line and point out blocking assignments but that entails greater speed on play calling from the OC on down. Difficult to understand such a complete missed assignment at this point in the season.

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
I’m a big golfer and college football is a lot like golf - philosophy and approach change. When we sold out to the passing attack scheme offensively along with the smaller more agile defender on defense I felt like we have become more soft. We lack tenacity and physicality. Georgia has that. I feel like we have been exposed by Florida and A&M. If we are going to win a NC this year (and I’ve always thought this year was rebuilding and next year was our best shot) we will simply have to outscore our opponents and get a few stops defensively. I’m afraid when (if we play Ga) that they will push us around. I feel like we’ve become the 2009 Florida Gators and Ga is the 2009 Crimson Tide. They have a great game manager at Qb, solid run game and although they are not very talented on the outside they run it so well they are able to scheme open plays for receivers and tight ends. The defense they have is perhaps a generationally elite defense. We will have to be flawless offensively to beat them in the sec championship game and would likely have to beat them twice to win it all. Hope we do, but just don’t see it. Back to the golf analogy, many times when you tweak things you over correct. I think we’ve done that to a degree with not being able to physically control people. I hope we tweak it back to that. Minor adjustments.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I’m a big golfer and college football is a lot like golf - philosophy and approach change. When we sold out to the passing attack scheme offensively along with the smaller more agile defender on defense I felt like we have become more soft. We lack tenacity and physicality. Georgia has that. I feel like we have been exposed by Florida and A&M. If we are going to win a NC this year (and I’ve always thought this year was rebuilding and next year was our best shot) we will simply have to outscore our opponents and get a few stops defensively. I’m afraid when (if we play Ga) that they will push us around. I feel like we’ve become the 2009 Florida Gators and Ga is the 2009 Crimson Tide. They have a great game manager at Qb, solid run game and although they are not very talented on the outside they run it so well they are able to scheme open plays for receivers and tight ends. The defense they have is perhaps a generationally elite defense. We will have to be flawless offensively to beat them in the sec championship game and would likely have to beat them twice to win it all. Hope we do, but just don’t see it. Back to the golf analogy, many times when you tweak things you over correct. I think we’ve done that to a degree with not being able to physically control people. I hope we tweak it back to that. Minor adjustments.
We will see about Georgia. Nick Saban did what he had to do following 2013 and it brought 6 playoffs in 7 seasons, playing for the NC in 5 of them and winning 3. Meanwhile, Georgia has resisted change, had 1 playoff, 1 NC appearance, which resulted in a loss to us.

If they get us this year it will be more about catching us in a rebuilding year than it will be proof that their way of doing things has cycled back into favor. They are also blessed with playing in the weaker division. If we don’t get them, I’m not ready to bet they cruise to a title. 2019 LSU they are not.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Before we run the white flag up the pole, just who in the heck that has a pulse on offense has UGA played? Vandy, UAB, S Carolina, Clemson? Is UK an elite offense? What true road test have they had, Vanderbilt? AU is getting better but are they the team that is the litmus test? New coach, new staff, new system early in the year? If Gus had been on the sideline Kirby would’ve been in the fetal position.

UGA isn’t an unstoppable force on offense. Who would you rather face at QB, Corral at Ole Miss, King at Miami, Coach Leach at MSU, or Thurston Howell III at UGA?
I’ll let this play out but we won’t lay down and they haven’t played an offense that is as explosive as we are when we’re clicking.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
I'm going to say that we have to start playing at the beginning of a game. It seems like the deeper into the season we get, the longer it takes us to get going in a game. This applies to both sides of the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.