Bama Game Thread: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Bama vs. UK...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is the type of game where you MUST HAVE a Herb Jones.
Youth is part of the problem, but that's where leaders come in. It's too bad Shack and others have not had the same impact. Maybe they will have it together by tourney time and will live up to the potential. Maybe not. Good thing is they are competing instead of wilting like in past years. Despite the current problems Oats is building something good.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Good effort and shot the ball really well. Just not enough stops. Hate it though Bama had a chance to steal a big road win and just didn't get it done. On to the next one. Definitely need to keep up the hot shooting especially in the next one. Bama has historically not done well at Vandy. Maybe we can steal one from them.

Reactions: seebell

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
All we can hope for is that guys decide to play defense and we get hot from 3. Otherwise, we will be one and done in the SEC and the dance. If we do those things, we can still make a little noise.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
All we can hope for is that guys decide to play defense and we get hot from 3. Otherwise, we will be one and done in the SEC and the dance. If we do those things, we can still make a little noise.
Nah. That’s not true.

We’ve already proven we can win games without shooting well from 3. We should be able to win a first round game in each tournament even if we are cool from 3

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
That is quite an overreaction to losing to the #4 team in the nation at historically one of the toughest venues of all time to play in. This notion from fans that we are a likely a one and some or don’t deserve to be in the tournament is ridiculous. We are likely a 5 seed in the tournament. Could we lose in the first round, yes. Could we go on a huge run, yes. It’s all about matchups in the tournament.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
That is quite an overreaction to losing to the #4 team in the nation at historically one of the toughest venues of all time to play in. This notion from fans that we are a likely a one and some or don’t deserve to be in the tournament is ridiculous. We are likely a 5 seed in the tournament. Could we lose in the first round, yes. Could we go on a huge run, yes. It’s all about matchups in the tournament.
Matchups and guard play, two big factor's

Reactions: BamaMike05

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know most are citing the officiating, but the game turned around the 4-5 minute mark when we were down 7. Keon Ellis stole the ball about midcourt and was about to streak to an easy layup/dunk to cut the lead to 5 when the KY player amazingly stole the ball back and then KY buried a 3 pointer pushing their lead to 10.

From a 5 point deficit with a lot of Bama momentum to a 10 point KY lead. Game.

We shot the ball good enough to win, but give it up to KY who just were better than us on offense. They are very good team. This was not a "bad" loss. Would have been a very good win, though.

I saw some good things. Hopefully, we are waking up a little on 3 point shooting!

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Youth is part of the problem, but that's where leaders come in. It's too bad Shack and others have not had the same impact. Maybe they will have it together by tourney time and will live up to the potential. Maybe not. Good thing is they are competing instead of wilting like in past years. Despite the current problems Oats is building something good.
Reminds me of 2010 football team.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Reminds me of 2010 football team.
Beg to differ. The 2010 football team was filled with returning stars. Youth had very little to do with their problems. (They played perhaps the most ridiculous schedule in the history of the SEC.)

In fact, you can make the case that youth has had only a secondary impact on this year's basketball team. Given the state of the sport, almost every team in the country is young. We have two true freshman in the starting 8. That's not an exorbitant amount. We had 4 of our top 6 back from last year -- a lot of returning experience.

Our problem is we can't pressure the ball, even when a team like UK plays us without its two primary ball-handlers. That means we don't get nearly the number of easy baskets or wide open threes that fueled the offense last year.

Reactions: BamaMike05

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Beg to differ. The 2010 football team was filled with returning stars. Youth had very little to do with their problems. (They played perhaps the most ridiculous schedule in the history of the SEC.)

In fact, you can make the case that youth has had only a secondary impact on this year's basketball team. Given the state of the sport, almost every team in the country is young. We have two true freshman in the starting 8. That's not an exorbitant amount. We had 4 of our top 6 back from last year -- a lot of returning experience.

Our problem is we can't pressure the ball, even when a team like UK plays us without its two primary ball-handlers. That means we don't get nearly the number of easy baskets or wide open threes that fueled the offense last year.
The two missing are Herb and Petty. Need I say more?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we hold Vandy to 65 points this week with our coach's new defensive-minded lineup, we better score 66. It's one thing to say you're benching the point guard. It's another to do it.

Last edited:

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
He threw out center and point guard, has Bediako been a liability? I thought he had turned a corner in one game, but we will see.

I hope the energy on defense includes boxing out.
There's our issue we stand around to much when a shot goes up, I think coach said they worked on rebounding b4 was it Miss State and we got 40 boards

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This isn't just about this UK loss. We have lost 10 games this year, and I've noticed a lack of consistent effort on defense and/or rebounding. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks these things are issues. In fact, Coach Oats himself has said as much. You can be satisfied with poor effort if you want and just act like we've only lost to good teams, but I think my comments were pretty accurate.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
He threw out center and point guard, has Bediako been a liability? I thought he had turned a corner in one game, but we will see.

I hope the energy on defense includes boxing out.
I don't think he was necessarily calling out anyone in particular as much as saying that it doesn't matter who he has to put on the floor to get the effort he wants - he will get the effort he wants. I wanted him to do this some time ago so I'm glad to see it happen. Light a fire under that ass.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
This isn't just about this UK loss. We have lost 10 games this year, and I've noticed a lack of consistent effort on defense and/or rebounding. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks these things are issues. In fact, Coach Oats himself has said as much. You can be satisfied with poor effort if you want and just act like we've only lost to good teams, but I think my comments were pretty accurate.
Your quote said “if we want to make it out of the first round of the NCAA and SEC tournament we better make 3’s” You haven’t been watching all year if you think we have to make 3’s to win games.

Yes our defensive effort has to get better. That’s obvious, and we have all said that in here. But for you to say we better make more 3’s or we are going to lose is just nonsense.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.