Status
Not open for further replies.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
audio

the short version

in 2010 The FCC created a compromise rule to change rules that were in place from 2002, you can read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_Open_Internet_Order_2010 but essentially this was a rule that enforced a kind of flimsy net neutrality with a good deal of leeway for the ISP's but also named them Common Carriers which the ISP's didn't like.

so in 2014 Verizon sued, and won https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications_Inc._v._FCC_(2014)

which changed the rules again in 2015. The Obama admin responded by reclassifying. Ironically Verizon brought this on themselves when they had an OK Deal. From what I recall ATT, Comcast and other were annoyed at Verizon as the old deal was workable for them even if it was sorta crap for us.

that lead to this and it's why saying "We didn't have this before 2015" is both true at a very specific level and not true at all on a functional one. We had a version of Net Neutrality but not the same one we got in 2015 which was much better for consumers

Oh and we also developed deep packet inspection and have been able to effectively deploy it at scale making it more and more technology feasible for ISPs to actually implement their bad behavior.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection
You are just being paranoid. Once ISP's start blocking traffic, that should lead to a bunch of interesting lawsuits from VPN services and users. This is going to make the internet so awesome. I can't wait.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I think this is slightly overblown. I may change my tune at some point. I wouldn't mind a light regulatory touch here keeping some basic tenets of neutrality, but rarely does a light touch happen in government.
I've seen first hand what happens when ISPs don't follow the rules and I've had to deal with it at my job. These regulations have been in place for a while now. Things have been just fine. I think most people expect the internet to just work.

Have the regulations negativity impacted you in any way? I'm really curious your thoughts.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Have the regulations negativity impacted you in any way? I'm really curious your thoughts.
They've definitely affected my industry - the fact that Comcast was stopped from throttling BitTorrent connections tells me that sometimes government interference isn't a good thing at all. When an ISP wishes to block providers of stolen IP from distributing that material, they should have that right, imo. A specific example, certainly, and I'm not one to think that unregulated industry will always benefit the consumer...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They've definitely affected my industry - the fact that Comcast was stopped from throttling BitTorrent connections tells me that sometimes government interference isn't a good thing at all. When an ISP wishes to block providers of stolen IP from distributing that material, they should have that right, imo. A specific example, certainly, and I'm not one to think that unregulated industry will always benefit the consumer...
but there are legit uses of BitTorrent as well and comcast was blocking them too as they wanted their customers not to use things that competed with their business model.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This will likely not effect the consumer much other than limited choices. It will hurt startups who do not want to take on venture capital that would hijack their company and try to sell it off to a bigger company for a payday.

Almost like the winners have been decided and now they want to change the rules so they will stay the winners in this telecom space.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
They would block the legal with the illegal stuff. This is universally not wanted from both parties constituents.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The legal system is the place to stop stolen IP not allowing the entire public infrastructure to be controlled by private entities who can and will wield this power to affect their profits and their competitor's losses.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This will likely not effect the consumer much other than limited choices. It will hurt startups who do not want to take on venture capital that would hijack their company and try to sell it off to a bigger company for a payday.

Almost like the winners have been decided and now they want to change the rules so they will stay the winners in this telecom space.
it will definitely effect the consumer. Expect higher prices and far few choices. The ISP's will start ramping up costs on their competitors. Think Comcast is going to just allow Netflix to work great for their customers when they are trying to get you to sign up for Xfinity on Demand instead? Or Amazon Prime's streaming and movie rental? They are now perfectly allowed to either slow down or charge that competitor extra fee's for the privilege of connecting to Comcast customers, think Amazon, Netflix and others won't pass those extra fees on to us?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
it will definitely effect the consumer. Expect higher prices and far few choices. The ISP's will start ramping up costs on their competitors. Think Comcast is going to just allow Netflix to work great for their customers when they are trying to get you to sign up for Xfinity on Demand instead? Or Amazon Prime's streaming and movie rental? They are now perfectly allowed to either slow down or charge that competitor extra fee's for the privilege of connecting to Comcast customers, think Amazon, Netflix and others won't pass those extra fees on to us?
Yeah, you're right. This is a second order problem where the knock-on effects hit the consumer invisibly over time. The black book of capitalism!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
We are just going to have to disagree that it is the ISP's job to block or police things. They get paid to transit traffic. They should transit traffic.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
ISP's are greedy bastards and will get it from both sides. A) they will charge the Netflix's of the world $ for traffic prioritization and access to customers B) and charge customers in the form of data cap overages because they won't exempt those services from the data usage count like their own service. So in the end you get to pay both Netflix and the ISP more money.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
ISP's are greedy bastards and will get it from both sides. A) they will charge the Netflix's of the world $ for traffic prioritization and access to customers B) and charge customers in the form of data cap overages because they won't exempt those services from the data usage count like their own service. So in the end you get to pay both Netflix and the ISP more money.
it's not that they are greedy bastards it's that they are acting in their own self interest. Which is fine, it is exactly what a corporation should do. Maximize for their shareholders. I have no issues with that. My problem is that they have massive unfair advantages due to the nature of the infrastructure. This is a perfect case for why regulation, which can be awful, can also be good.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only way to restrain the worst parts of capitalism is with regulation. Self-regulation does not work. This is like the taxation argument where it basically hinges on the hope that lowering taxes for the rich means reinvestment in America.

I don't hope for people's better angels. I bet on guardrails that prevent the mechanisms of capital from rolling over the middle class. I believe in taking a significant part of the hyper-wealthy's money and turning it into direct beneficence for the people of this country. I don't expect them to be compassionate patriots because I've seen them all sell us out for international opportunities at the drop of a dime. I expect to make them with laws or guns.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing I love about conservatives - in generalities - is how this is a movement that lauds national zeal and patriotism but shields a group of people that couldn't give two ****s about this country's well-being. For this select class of people, this place only exists as a base of operation for their international capital schemes. They're slowly leaving us to rot which is what all this tax code and deregulation is really about...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

LOL! It didn't take Comcast long...

LINK

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
but there are legit uses of BitTorrent as well
Indeed, though I did read a paper a few years ago (by an independent, not Comcast) that showed that some 98% of the data being shared via BitTorrent was stolen intellectual property.

There are thousands of websites where one can openly share data - sites that actually try to curb IP theft.

The legal system is the place to stop stolen IP not allowing the entire public infrastructure to be controlled by private entities who can and will wield this power to affect their profits and their competitor's losses.
Not really - if a server is outside the US boundaries there's little controlling the content. Yes, you can punish the end-user - if you can catch them - but cutting it off at the source is a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.