Did You Call Your Momma Today

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Dementia is cruel. My Dad had Parkinson's related Dementia in the months before he passed. It was so strange because he could still do complicated math in his head but couldn't read a clock. He would have trouble recognizing my Mom if she was wearing work clothes. If she was casual or in sleeping clothes, he could recognize her. But if she was dressed for work, he thought she was another person.

I could see him struggle with it too - because some moments were crystal clear, and the next moment he was in a fog......

It took him nearly 5 days but he wrote my Mom a letter before he died (he had dates written in the letter each time he started to work on it).....and he hid it in the house so we'd find it later. She found it 3 months after he passed, and in it he told her how much he loved her and he wanted her to know before he got to the point where he couldn't tell her anymore because of the Dementia.

I'm so glad that our resident comedians have left this thread alone.....

Good bless your Moms both.....and thanks for sharing your stories.

Coach Bryant is still finding a way to touch us all -- decades later......
I've dealt with probably 100 families with someone who had dementia in some form. My own father died from Alzhymiers some 15 years ago. My mother died 18 months ago...I miss them every day. My boys call us most days...5 out of 7. We live near one now and see him and his family at least 3x per week. Nothing else comes close...remember this ad well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I was a freshman at Alabama, been in classes for about two weeks. Late one afternoon while in my dorm room my phone rang it was from the dorm's front desk. The student on the phone said I had a guest. I hung up and headed downstairs. As I got off the elevator I immediately saw one of my Dad's best friends standing in the lobby right in front of the elevator. I knew immediately why he was there. We sat down and he told me my mother had died late that morning and my Dad asked him to come to Tuscaloosa, break the news, and bring me home. It was a three hour drive home and during that ride I had no idea what to do or what my future might be. Yes, life can change in the blink of an eye.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Well, like Coach Bryant and others in this thread I dearly wish I could call mine, even though I thought I was calling often enough when she was alive, it really wasn't often enough nor were my visits I realize now. A tough old biddy, her oncologist told me the night that she died that he believed it was the end, but then laughed and said "but then I've given up on her a half a dozen times and somehow she came back!". Perhaps so, but this time he was right and she didn't make it to morning. Like I said before, a tough old biddy, she'd already made her funeral arrangements and had paid for them nearly fifteen years before her death. She told me what she wanted, that she be cremated and the ashes spread on the sand dunes at their house at the beach as had been done with my step-father. When I commented that I wasn't sure if that was legal, I was awarded a cold stare and told that if she wanted to know what the state required she'd have damn well checked it herself. Needless to say, I did as I was told! So many stories I could tell and still I wouldn't do justice to that lady! Just know this, she was one of a kind and nothing I can write will ever paint the portrait of what she really was. She died almost 25 years ago and I still get tears in my eyes writing this. She went to Bama and knew Paul and Mary Harmon Bryant well, and her comment when Coach Bryant's hiring was announced was, "It's about time! Paul is smart and he'll fix this mess!". I'll be damned if, as usual, the woman was right! Roll Tide Mom, I still miss you every day.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.