St.Paul's Sues AHSAA over Discriminatory Rule.

RWTT11

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2016
Indian Trail, NC
I saw him (Kerryon)his senior year do the same thing to my old HS in the state championship game. Not only that, but their Oline looked like a D1 school.

I think it's B'S they can recruit who they want and then play against schools who can only pull from there district.

No sympathy from me!

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Let's be honest. You just want your team to win State championships. The weaker the competition, the more championships you will win. I get it and don't have a problem with it, but let's face it.
No. I want elite teams to play equal competition. I don’t have a team (now) just like good sports. If you are talking about my Alma mater winning, they did in basketball this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah if they don’t like the AHSAA’s rules then they can either get in line or get in the private league that was designed for them.
The reality - AHSAA shouldn't allow private schools to participate if they have to rig things to make the competition reasonable. But I am not sure if that is legal.

RedBank

Feb 9, 2008
Wiregrass
My daughter played high school soccer on high school JV team and was beating Briarwood regularly. During that summer Briarwood offered scholarships to two of our best players. One of them accepted the scholarship due to the added exposure she would get there. Briarwood offered in part to weaken the competition of a team in the same area. It was very strange to play against a player that was on your team the prior year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My daughter played high school soccer and as a JV team and was beating Briarwood regularly. During that summer Briarwood offered scholarships to two of our best players. One of them accepted the scholarship due to the added exposure she would get there. Briarwood offered in part to weaken the competition in their area.
Right, but are the players who are brought over to these schools helped by the scholarships? IMO, the answer to that question is almost always yes. So the only reason to even try to stop something like this is to WIN - even if it means hurting the kids who excel at sports.

The best schools should get kids who excel. Heck, I wish that every kid could go to a school like that. So I am not opposed to scholarships which help kids at the expense of winning at sports at lesser schools.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Your Alma Mater will always be your team. That is why you care so much about this.
Ask Krazy if USA is his team because he graduated there.... ;)

I go to a different game each Friday night within a 50 mile radius, and never to the same venue twice in the regular season. I go to one game my Alma Mater plays and that’s more because it’s the biggest county game every year. But High school football is a sport that I’m highly passionate about going to see unless I’m going to a far away Bama road game the next day. And the biggest problems that I’ve seen in the sport(s) revolve around teams winning sham championships by either public schools cooking their books to drop down in competition or private schools playing below equal competition. It’s just my opinion, and a pretty common one shared by many from 3-5A teams.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Right, but are the players who are brought over to these schools helped by the scholarships? IMO, the answer to that question is almost always yes. So the only reason to even try to stop something like this is to WIN - even if it means hurting the kids who excel at sports.

The best schools should get kids who excel. Heck, I wish that every kid could go to a school like that. So I am not opposed to scholarships which help kids at the expense of winning at sports at lesser schools.
Then again make there butts play at a higher level of competition or go to the private league.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I go to a different game each Friday night within a 50 mile radius, and never to the same venue twice in the regular season. I go to one game my Alma Mater plays and that’s more because it’s the biggest county game every year. But High school football is a sport that I’m highly passionate about going to see unless I’m going to a far away Bama road game the next day.
I also love HS football. We just disagree about this subject.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Sorry, but HS sports is not college or professional sports. It is not all about winning. In fact, it really isn't about winning at all. The fact that you don't get this explains why you are so upset about this issue.
Then please explain why private schools recruit players from public schools if its not about winning. I guess they do it out of the kindness of their hearts right?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Then please explain why private schools recruit players from public schools if its not about winning. I guess they do it out of the kindness of their hearts right?
People put their egos ahead of everything else. They want to win, even if it is at the expense of others. But at least the players get something back in this side of the exchange - a better education and more exposure (as an athlete) than their socioeconomic status would otherwise have been allowed them.

I am not saying that private schools are any less egocentric than public schools. I am just trying to point out that we let our egos twist our priorities. Winning at sports cannot be the most important thing in our lives. We are not any better as individuals because we win at a sport than if we lose. We are made better because we participate and put in the effort. (and by "we" I mean both the players and the fans)

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Does anyone know how many private school players are on the rosters at Alabama and Auburn? I know McCarron and Casher played at St. Pauls.
JER111, a cursory scan of our current roster shows 3 or 4 that came from what looks like private schools, those with "Academy" in their listed high school. Probably more. Don't know about the University of Auburn.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
What about public schools that recruit? Mtn Brook has won multiple basketball titles lately with kids that left their school to play at Mtn Brook. Happens in other sports and other schools. Why punish all private schools and all sports at those private schools?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
What about public schools that recruit? Mtn Brook has won multiple basketball titles lately with kids that left their school to play at Mtn Brook. Happens in other sports and other schools. Why punish all private schools and all sports at those private schools?
It is much easier to recruit in basketball. It only takes a player or two to make a HS b-ball team more competitive. We have a local SA high school that I know recruits. Had a boy that went to my son’s MS in 6th grade up and move to a feeder MS for one the best b-ball HS in the area. He’s played varsity as a freshman and started this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Ultimately, I feel like that if you have a statewide sports organization that has public and private schools in its membership, then the policies should affect all members of the organization. Thus, if you have a competitive balance rule for private schools, then it should be applied to the public schools as well. It was my understanding that the competitive balance rule was in place for all schools, but I appear to be wrong in that thinking.

California has a competitive balance rule that applies to all sports. For example, tiny McFarland HS has a tremendous cross country program and are in the Division 4 for school population purposes. But their XC success has them competing in Division 1, against schools that are 3-5 times bigger. I'm not sure that is necessarily fair, but that's their policy. If you're going to have a competitive balance policy, then there should be a clause for getting back to the classification that you're in based on school populations.

Personally, I'm leaning towards separate sports membership for public and private. In Alabama, this is already happening. Schools like Briarwood and St. Paul's have chosen to be in the AHSAA for their reasons, and thus, they're subject to AHSAA's rules. They can choose to go to AISA and compete there. I have to double check, but it would also be interesting to see the championship breakdown (historically) across all sports between public and private. I don't have the time to do it now, but I may be able to give a breakdown later this week.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I looked at both Alabama and Auburn current rosters. I only counted what I could identify as private schools in Alabama. Alabama had 5 players on its roster and Auburn had 4 from Alabama. There were other players from private schools from other states, but the vast majority of both teams rosters come from public schools. Alabama had 1 player from St Pauls, and Auburn had 1 player from Briarwood. So while these schools may win big by recruiting they obviously do not produce FBS talent, at least good enough to play for Alabama or Auburn.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
When my kids were in school I watched St. Paul's squads line up against schools (some of whom are now 6A, like Vigor, Saraland and Spanish Fort) - and in a LOT of those games they looked like a JV team lining up against Seniors. Sometimes almost every kid on an opponent's OL And DL were half-a-head (or more) taller than the SPS kid they were lining up against.
Dude, you make it sound like St. Paul's is some tiny private school that can't compete.

Rural schools might not do it much, but that's only because the pickings are slim and resources are very limited. Your original statement indicated only private schools do it. That's just not true.
You are right, there are MANY public schools that recruit too.

There is no way to level the playing field without forcing private schools into a different championship division. Penalizing them for winning is not the answer.
The rule counts points over 3 years, it forces the private schools to play up if they are "dominating" a lower division. I think it is a good rule.

There is a way to level the playing field and they just did.
Agreed.

From what I understand, the AISA schools are a lot different than the privates in the AHSAA.
They are. A lot of the AISA schools are sure enough strapped for cash. A lot of the privates in the AHSAA are pretty well off. Not all mind you, but the majority are not hurting.

Let me ask this question. Is it the private schools fault that a much higher % of their students go out for athletics and can maintain good grades to play vs the much larger public schools who has hundreds of kids that dont focus on grades, dont give a flip about sports or would rather hang out after school in a pool hall or playing video games?

Dont blame the private schools for the overall decline of respect, work ethic, ambition and motivation that exists in many public schools today. Blame the public schools parents and families. Not the private school. If the public school got the same ratio of kids in the school to get off their lazy tails and play sports this would not even be an issue.
It has NOTHING to do with work ethic. This has to do with private schools DOMINATING certain sports. I will show some examples later.

It’s not penalizing them for winning it’s forcing them to win a title with equal competition.
Yep it's forcing them to go up only in certain sports and only if they are dominating. People act like if St. Paul's wins one title that they are moving up and it doesn't work that way. If you build up a certain amount of points in one class over 3 years, then you're moving up. If a school is moving up then that means they are dominating and there should be punishment for it. Like it has been mentioned, schools like St. Paul's can recruit and get almost any top athlete from the area and in the meantime that player left a public school and was probably their only great player and now won't win 3 games while St. Paul's wins the division. This is why the privates are being penalized.

I agree with segregating - creating a different playoff division. A lot of states do this. Alabama seems to be half-in on this.
No the private schools can leave the AHSAA any time they want to and play in the AISA which is nothing but private schools. They choose to play in the AHSAA because they know they can compete in EVERY sport.

Are you saying that there are still private schools in the South dedicated to segregation?
You bet your "you know what" there are. The AISA and the majority of their schools were formed in 1969-1970 which was the same years we de-segregated. The AISA schools can deny enrollment to any kid for a list of reasons if they want to. That's why they have NOTHING to do with the AHSAA.

Does anyone know how many private school players are on the rosters at Alabama and Auburn? I know McCarron and Casher played at St. Pauls.
Alabama has 99 kids listed on their roster and Brandon Kennedy has not been taken off yet. But counting everyone, Bama has around 25 private school kids. The barn lists 92 kids, and has about 17 roughly.

The rule doesn't punish all sports at the private schools. The rule ONLY APPLIES to those sports they are dominating in and that's it. You could be 5A in football and 6A in baseball. This does not force private schools to move every sport up a class.
------------------------------------------------------------------
All the percentages are titles since 2000 won by private schools. This is the main reason this went into effect, not anything football related.

Tennis-Girls 69.2%
Out of 78 total state titles, 54 have been won by private schools.

Golf-Boys 62.6%
Out of 99 total state titles, 62 have been won by private schools. UMS-Wright has 12 titles since 2000, St. Paul's has 11, while both are on 3-peats as we speak. Both have had 4-peats as well. Montgomery Academy had 9 of 10 at one point with 6 in a row. St. Paul's also had 8 of 13 titles at one point as well.

Tennis-Boys 52.6%
Out of 76 total state titles, 40 have been won by private schools. No public school has won a title in 1A-4A since Cherokee County won 4A in 1999.

Soccer-Boys 50.8%
Out of 61 total state titles, 31 have been won by private schools. Randolph has 8 state titles since 2000 and have also won back to back titles. John Carroll-Catholic also won 4 of 5 at one point since 2000.

Outdoor Track-Girls 50%
Out of 118 total state titles, 59 have been won by private schools. Whitesburg Christian currently has won the last 4 state titles in a row. Altamont won 8 in a row at one point. St. Paul's has 12 state titles since 2000 with winning 8 in a row at one point.

Volleyball 50%
Out of 112 total state titles, 56 have been won by private schools. McGill-Toolen won 5 of 6 at one point and are defending champs now. Bayside Academy has won 17 of the last 18 titles including 16 in a row between 2A and 3A.

Soccer-Girls 50%
Out of 60 total state titles, 30 have been won by private schools. John Carroll-Catholic has won 4 of the last 5 titles, Montgomery Academy has won 7 overall since 2000 with a current streak of back to back titles.

Indoor Track-Girls 49%
Out of 49 total state titles, 24 have been won by private schools. St. Paul's has won the last 9 state titles in 4A-5A and 5A. Altamont had 5 in a row at one point, and American Christian is on a current 4-peat run in 1A-3A.

Cross Country-Boys 43.8%
Out of 89 total state titles, 39 private schools won titles. American Christian currently has a 4 in a row streak. Westminster Christian-Oak Mountain has back to back titles currently. UMS-Wright had 4 in a row at one point. Shades Mountain Christian had 3 in a row. Montgomery Academy had 3 in a row. Randolph had 9 in a row at one point.

Cross Country-Girls 41.6%
Out of 89 total state titles, 37 titles have went to private schools. Westminster Christian-Oak Mountain has a current 3 year title streak in 1A/2A. Randolph has 3 in a row in 4A. UMS-Wright had 7 out of 10 4A titles including five in a row at one point. Altamont won 3 in a row in 1A/2A. American Christian had 5 in a row in 1A/2A.

Swimming & Diving-Girls 31.8%
Out of 22 total state titles, 7 have been won by private schools. Westminster Christian has won back to back titles in 1A-5A.

Baseball 29.7%
This is why the rule was put in place. Out of 118 possible schools since 2000, privates won 35 baseball titles. American Christian alone has won 5 titles since 2000 including 3 in a row and the second run was 2 out of 3. Shoals Christian has won 4 titles including 3 in a row since 2000. Mobile Christian has won 3 of the last 4 with two in a row in 2A and the last in 3A this year and that's just back to 2015.

Indoor Track-Boys 28.6%
Out of 49 total state titles, 14 have been won by private schools. American Christian has won the last two 1A-3A titles. UMS-Wright won 5 of 6 at one point and has 6 overall titles since 2000.

Outdoor Track-Boys 28%
Out of 118 total state titles, 33 have been won by private schools. American Christian is on a back to back title streak as is Westminster-Oak Mountain. UMS-Wright has won 14 state titles since 2000 with 8 being all in a row. St. Paul's has 8 titles since 2000 with 7 being in a row.

Swimming & Diving-Boys 22.7%
Out of 22 total state titles, 5 have been won by private schools. St. Paul's have won the last 4 in a row in 1A-5A.

Softball 17.4%
Out of 115 total state titles, 20 have been won by private schools. Alabama Christian leads the way with 6 since 2000.

Golf-Girls 16.2%
Out of 37 total state titles, 6 have been won by private schools. Providence Christian is currently back to back champs in 1A-3A.

Football 15.1%
Out of 119 total state titles, 18 private schools have won titles. St. Paul's and UMS-Wright are on back to back streaks right now. St. Paul's have also won 4 out of the last 5 titles. Madison Academy had 3 in a row. UMS-Wright has won 7 titles since 2000 and St. Paul's have won 5 since 2000. Yet the original poster would have you think St. Paul's are just a bunch of small kids who were getting slaughtered by bigger schools.

Basketball-Boys 14.4%
17 total private school wins since 2000. St. Jude has won 2 out of 3 years in 1A and then back to back again in 13 and 14 for a total of 4, Madison Academy had 3 in a row ending in 2008 and then 3 out of 5 ending in 2015 with 6 total since 2000. Sacred Heart of Anniston has won the last FOUR state titles in 1A. A public school has NOT won a 1A title in boys basketball since 2012.

Basketball-Girls 4.2%
Only 5 private school titles since 2000. Of those, 4A Madison Academy has a current back to back state title streak.

Wrestling 0%
Out of 57 chances, no private school has won a Wrestling state title.

Bowling-Girls 0%
Out of 8 years, nothing but public schools have won titles.

Bowling-Boys 0%
Only 2 years of awarding titles and both belong to a public school.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.