2023 Recruiting: 2023 Recruiting Targets

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Is this going to be a thing moving forward? There have been several players asking for a release after signing an NLI.

2023 Miami signee Antione Jackson, a player All Hurricanes ran into at Battle Miami just a few weeks ago, is apparently asking to be released from his signed National Letter of Intent.
I think there have been 2-3 others asking for a release this year .

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I posted this on another thread, but I heard Greg Byrne speak regarding how the Athletic Department constantly emphasizes to the Collective the importance of fulfilling commitments.

Byrne didn't name or even imply any specific schools, but the timing was curiously close to when the Florida commit went public with their collective failing to deliver as promised.

I also thought of aTm, and mentioned that to a knowledgeable attendee at the event, and he said, "there are several." I didn't press further, but thought UTe might also be on that list.

Byrne was really proud of the fact that every NIL commitment our collective has made has been fulfilled, I'm guessing because not all schools' Collectives have been as trustworthy.

JMO, but not delivering or "renegotiating" an NIL after a kid signs is really stupid. Word gets around pretty dang quick, and then nobody believes you.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I posted this on another thread, but I heard Greg Byrne speak regarding how the Athletic Department constantly emphasizes to the Collective the importance of fulfilling commitments.

Byrne didn't name or even imply any specific schools, but the timing was curiously close to when the Florida commit went public with their collective failing to deliver as promised.

I also thought of aTm, and mentioned that to a knowledgeable attendee at the event, and he said, "there are several." I didn't press further, but thought UTe might also be on that list.

Byrne was really proud of the fact that every NIL commitment our collective has made has been fulfilled, I'm guessing because not all schools' Collectives have been as trustworthy.

JMO, but not delivering or "renegotiating" an NIL after a kid signs is really stupid. Word gets around pretty dang quick, and then nobody believes you.
Sounds like a bait and switch move. Not a very good long term plan.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Several schools such as TN, Miami, TAMU, Oregon, USC, and many others... I expect TN and Oregon to be on the news for wrong reasons this fall.

Alabama and Georgia called it and played it safe.. and they will benefit from this going forward.

Reactions: The Ols

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Several schools such as TN, Miami, TAMU, Oregon, USC, and many others... I expect TN and Oregon to be on the news for wrong reasons this fall.

Alabama and Georgia called it and played it safe.. and they will benefit from this going forward.
A lot of people don’t fully register that the school can’t control what the Collectives do or don’t do.

The school can point out players it’s particularly interested in — and I’m sure this is where the NCAA rules (to the extent that the NCAA enforces anything anymore) are pushed to the edge. But the Collectives are legally independent entities and the schools can’t force them to do anything.

Likewise, the school can’t force the Collective to honor its commitments. And it’s against NCAA rules (again, to the extent that the NCAA enforces anything these days) for the school to contribute directly to the Collective.

If there’s a written contract, the player has contract law on his side. But his recourse is to the Collective, not the school. If it’s an unwritten commitment, he’s out of luck.

The potential for Collectives to renege on commitments, written or otherwise, is something I don’t think many people thought about. I know I didn’t.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
To the gurus: Any chance or rumblings that the hire of Rees as OC with proper TE appreciation and a 'Bama baseball program on the upswing has influence on signing Duce Robinson?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Funny thing, if you go to recruiting boards of other teams, they are convinced that Bama, Georgia are the biggest NIL violators.

• Haha
Reactions: JustNeedMe81

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Just curious, since there are so few rules to violate: What rules do they think we cheat on?
Anything and everything possible to validate their position…as long as it allows them to keep their collective heads stuck deep down in the sand as they chant “Bama can’t be this good for this long without cheating!!!”

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
To the gurus: Any chance or rumblings that the hire of Rees as OC with proper TE appreciation and a 'Bama baseball program on the upswing has influence on signing Duce Robinson?
So a month and a half of radio silence since I asked, but now intel has Robinson OV'ing 'Bama this weekend. Any newfound enthusiasm for odds on landing him?

Reactions: The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.