A short rant about filing taxes online.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Honestly, the fact that H&R Block stores and inports all my stuff from last year is a huge reason I use them. ( I know many other online services do too) That alone is enough reason to keep me from trying to use the Federal and Alabama online solutions.
That is a big piece of it. Turbotax recalls my data from last year (where it is applicable) and posts it in the form in the right place.
There is no reason I am aware of that the state of Alabama cannot do the same thing, though.

Reactions: PaulD and lowend

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
As an alternative product, I am forced to use the Defense Travel System (DTS) all the time for travel arrangements. Few programs have "federal" and "lowest bidder" written all over it the way DTS does. It is so counterintuitive and non-user friendly. When typing in your departure, if you do not hold down Shift and F6, then you will be routed through Ulan Bator, Mongolia. When I asked, "Why the heck am I flying from Brussels to Berlin and going through Ulan Bator?" All the folks responsible for that monstrosity said, "Everyone knows that if you don't press and hold Shift and F6 when making flying reservations, you will go through Ulan Bator." (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but not much.) DTS is designed by Satan himself (or maybe Vladimir Putin) to drive down morale and productivity of DoD personnel. It takes the gold medal in the crappy software olympics. It is not bad. It is horrible. The people who designed it should be sacked and forever forbidden from employment again
And then I compare it to TurboTax which asks layman's questions and spits out your taxes.
One of the many things I don't miss about working for DoD is the DTS. And from talking to people in my office back then, I was actually pretty good at making it work. So it was clearly time to retire...

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Being a tax pro, with a LLM in Taxation from NYU, I do my own. Tax programs which try to do the thinking just get in the way. However, I had a very inconvenient semi-disaster this weekend. I had finished my Alabama Form 40, using ADOR's software, which does the carrying forward and calculations for you, I decided to print a hard copy, just for security. When I hit "print," an error message came up reading "Oh snap! Something went wrong. Chrome is out of memory." This was my first time ever to use Chrome. I had used Firefox for 8 or 9 years, at least, without this problem. My data was gone beyond recovery, no matter what I tried. After digging around, I found this is a continuing problem with Chrome, which Firefox has anticipated and solved. Hard lesson learned...

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Being a tax pro, with a LLM in Taxation from NYU, I do my own. Tax programs which try to do the thinking just get in the way. However, I had a very inconvenient semi-disaster this weekend. I had finished my Alabama Form 40, using ADOR's software, which does the carrying forward and calculations for you, I decided to print a hard copy, just for security. When I hit "print," an error message came up reading "Oh snap! Something went wrong. Chrome is out of memory." This was my first time ever to use Chrome. I had used Firefox for 8 or 9 years, at least, without this problem. My data was gone beyond recovery, no matter what I tried. After digging around, I found this is a continuing problem with Chrome, which Firefox has anticipated and solved. Hard lesson learned...
I would have pulled my hair out if I had any hair.

That's pretty inexcusable by Chrome. I've switched over to using Firefox almost exclusively just on your recommendation.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.