News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looks like there are two openings on staff. One assistant is coming from Buffalo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope we can find a spot for Pettway, whether it’s as a coach or an administrative role. Really like him, and he’s a good recruiter.

Given his head coaches’ shortcomings, it’s hard to tell if he’s a good assistant coach or not.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I didn’t say this four years ago because I didn’t want to appear negative. But I didn’t really get the Johnson hire. He had zero college coaching experience. He had early success in the NBA but got fired rather quickly and completely flopped at his second job. He seemed to come out of nowhere to get the job when the Marshall deal failed.

While I understand supporting your coach, I thought some of the boasting about him to be way over the top. Even after two mediocre years with one and done in the NIT, everyone still thought he was going to lead us to the promised land. We did win an NCAA game last year, but if Sexton doesn’t make that shot in the SECT, I think it is another trip to the NIT or Dayton at best.

I am sad it didn’t work out, but not surprised.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Welcome Coach Oats

Don't post a lot on the B-Ball board but it's been 24 hours since the announcement. And there's obviously some understandably mixed opinion of the hire. But after reading up I think he'll do a fantastic job.

Welcome to the Capstone Coach. I hope you and your family truly enjoy your time here.

Roll Tide!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
“I’ve got a lot of respect for high school coaches. And I was fortunate that the Hurley family with them having a Hall of Fame high school coach for a father, respected high school coaches like they did, for me to get in with them. But I’ll say this -- I was offered jobs based on me bringing players with me at Romulus and I never took those. I didn’t want to get in like that. I wanted to get in based on me as a coach, not based on player X or Y. And I don’t want to name names.”

He dropping truth bombs. So much for Bucky.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’d give him an “A” on the press conference. I thought he presented himself well, and understands the realistic place that basketball takes at Alabama. He’s definitely an improvement over the last two hires. Hopefully he will break the cycle we are in and resurrect our program. He has his work cut out for himself.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Looks like Hodgson might be coming, absent getting the head gig at Buffalo. He is supposed to be a very good recruiter. Like what I'm hearing so far. I have no doubt that everyone will be working hard. Welcome to coach and his family. I think they will grow to love Tuscaloosa.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Re: Welcome Coach Oats

Don't post a lot on the B-Ball board but it's been 24 hours since the announcement. And there's obviously some understandably mixed opinion of the hire. But after reading up I think he'll do a fantastic job.

Welcome to the Capstone Coach. I hope you and your family truly enjoy your time here.

Roll Tide!
I think this hire is one where there should be plenty of research before going off and spouting a lot of negative opinions. If you look into all the info you can find and then come back with criticism, that's fair. We shouldn't, however, be critical because his name isn't Donovan or Matta.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.