Alabama QBs in 2024, II

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think at this point it may take rotating quarters or a set number of offensive plays in live games for these two to sort this nonsense out. It’s definitely not ideal, but if Simpson is the answer the team will need to see him outperform Milroe in the same game to be swayed to let the best player play.

If Simpson can’t do that, then who knows.
It‘s a lock that the team is deciding who starts at QB?

Makes me wonder why we’re paying millions upon millions to the coaching staff.

Reactions: gman4tide

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I was thinking he used WRs to run in plays. Most teams did back then. I seem to remember more than a few times Coach Bryant playing a different QB in the first and second quarters, then going with the hottest hand the second half. Seemed he would always have an experienced QB if the starter got hurt. And some did running the Bone. The Wishbone was a thing of beauty when ran right and Bama did.
He used Danny Ridgeway, a back up QB with a wrecked knee, to run in plays for a time. But he never changed QBs on every play. In 1973, he split series between Gary Rutledge and Richard Todd, which worked OK during the regular season but cost us terribly in the Notre Dame game. Richard was more physically gifted, but he was error prone throughout his UA career.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The OL will need to outperform for TS to overtake JM. Im not certain our "me" issues on the OL have been resolved yet...
Did we see public comments or in print on the OL revolt last year? I don't recall if we did or was it something somebody heard? I know we have some posters who said it happened and just want to find out the origin (I know it came out about the time of the USF game).

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It‘s a lock that the team is deciding who starts at QB?

Makes me wonder why we’re paying millions upon millions to the coaching staff.
Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. Even if they aren’t the team would need to see there is a better answer at quarterback to rally around and move forward with.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Did we see public comments or in print on the OL revolt last year? I don't recall if we did or was it something somebody heard? I know we have some posters who said it happened and just want to find out the origin (I know it came out about the time of the USF game).
I think people are adding up bits like the unexpected scratch of a starting lineman, the abysmal blocking effort, even by that line’s standards, and the fact that every Saban team has managed to out talent teams like that to a much higher score. Jase had a “terrible” game and missed some plays, and when parts of the second string came in the offense moved a little better.

I’m kind of torn in regards to whether it is true or not. I’d like to think these guys would give their all individually in the name of the team, but I’m realistic enough to know things and people aren’t always what I’d like them to be.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The OL will need to outperform for TS to overtake JM. Im not certain our "me" issues on the OL have been resolved yet...
I'd cut every single player who varied their perforamnce based on their own opinion over that of the coaches.

I'd rather have a losing season that a 'winning' season based on a bunch of self-absorbed idiots.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Their skill sets are similar? One can't make presnap reads or make short throws consistently.
More along the lines of both play primarily as drop-back passers with good wheels. It’s not a Chris Leak / Tim Tebow situation where you have two distinctly different styles of play.

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
I think people are adding up bits like the unexpected scratch of a starting lineman, the abysmal blocking effort, even by that line’s standards, and the fact that every Saban team has managed to out talent teams like that to a much higher score. Jase had a “terrible” game and missed some plays, and when parts of the second string came in the offense moved a little better.

I’m kind of torn in regards to whether it is true or not. I’d like to think these guys would give their all individually in the name of the team, but I’m realistic enough to know things and people aren’t always what I’d like them to be.
Then you have proctor giving up sacks uncontested and basically step over the qb without offering a hand to help him up after letting him get creamed. Jace also gave no effort blocking. Maybe it was from the let down of the Texas game but effort was an issue.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It was pretty evident by just watching the OL block for him...
I don't buy it. That performance could have been a really bad day -- they happen, SEE Florida State/Alabama in 1974 -- instead of some kind of revolt.

It's unfathomable to me that something would not have leaked out of the locker room to confirm any conspiracy among the players rather than a truly awful performance by a team coming off a disheartening loss that was also searching for a quarterback and an identity.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I’ve asked the same question about Saban allegedly saying that the team chose
I’ve asked similar questions about the team choosing Milroe and all I’ve been able to find are interviews where Saban said that he thought Milroe was the best option at QB.

Maybe he said something different that’s not as readily available.

That being said, I find it incredibly hard to believe that the greatest coach and one of the most authoritarian coaches of the last 30 years rolled over for a team mutiny.

Again, maybe there’s information I can’t find to the contrary.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
No, I don't think there were any media reports of a OL revolt but there were several things that led people to believe there might have been:

1. Saban said many times that the starting QB must win the team.
2. Some of the players ( Booker was one) publicly stated their support for Milroe.
3. When Milroe was benched against USF the OL gave a very poor performance.
4. There was a team meeting following the USF game and at the Monday press conference Saban stated that Milroe will be the starting QB going forward.

These things don't prove there was a mutiny but it really comes down to what was discussed in the team meeting. Was it about the overall poor performance against USF or was the discussion mostly about who the QB should be? None of us will ever know.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't buy it. That performance could have been a really bad day -- they happen, SEE Florida State/Alabama in 1974 -- instead of some kind of revolt.

It's unfathomable to me that something would not have leaked out of the locker room to confirm any conspiracy among the players rather than a truly awful performance by a team coming off a disheartening loss that was also searching for a quarterback and an identity.
The defense didn’t get your message about “awful performance”.

The only defense people can offer up is this overarching philosophy that no competitor would lose a game to prove a point. The “conspiracy” theorists can use specific incidents to support their side.

• Facepalm
Reactions: Tidelines

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

What other proof do you need? Saban flat out said “The team picked Milroe”. Booker had mysterious back spasms before the game. Several players were clearly giving less than 100% effort. The OL refused to help Simpson up. Do the math, man…

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
What other proof do you need? Saban flat out said “The team picked Milroe”. Booker had mysterious back spasms before the game. Several players were clearly giving less than 100% effort. The OL refused to help Simpson up. Do the math, man…
Honestly not trying to start something, but is there some link/reference to Saban saying this?

I've tried to find it and I can't.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

It kinda has started to trickle out, but usually it’s a 3-4 year dump of information. Alot of people don’t want to dump on current players and wait a few years to do so.

The problem here is that 80% of the fanbase wants to accept only one of two points. 1) that the team threw the USF game or 2) Simpson and Buchner were just not good as Milroe in 23. But the often overlooked point was that Milroe didn’t play at all that day in South Florida. No one seems to want to know why and just wants to assume Saban was testing his options. The truth is that Milroe was suspended because of his reaction to a heated film study with the offensive staff on his reads during the Texas game. It kinda puts into question why our offense was atrocious the one game that he was suspended.

Idk how involved Milroe was in on the faction of the locker room that supported him but I do know that Saban buried a particular receiver on the depth chart because he was loafing for Buchner during a scrimmage that Buchner and Simpson were doing very well and Milroe couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn.

So to think there wasn’t locker room drama around the quarterbacks especially after Saban himself hinted at it seems like a person is just actively avoiding information just because they don’t believe it. Now to what extent is a different question. What I do know is that I have heard credible people claim it was very bad and credible people say it really was typical drama and the real problem is that all 3 quarterbacks were about equal in terms of risks and rewards so they just went with the guy that had the locker room. But one thing they all agree on was there was locker room drama about who was going to be the quarterback.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I don’t have it immediately available, but he said it.
I've seen interviews where he talked about team chemistry and that he believed that Milroe gave the team the best option for success, but nothing directly on point of him saying the team chose Milroe.

I mean, was there really a situation last season where the greatest coach of all times had to yield to a team mutiny or face a disaster of a season?

Seems to me that even the kinder/softer version of Nick Saban would not have stood for that kind of nonsense.

Then again, if he did, then maybe he decided well before the end of the season that he was done.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads