Arch Manning, Texas, and NILs

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sour grapes - I've posted this before - but if his last name wasn't Manning there'd be far less hype.
Same. Alabama will still be Alabama without him, and we have no idea how good he really is. IMO, the only bad thing about losing him to TX is the boost that this will give Sark in this recruiting cycle. A lot of kids will want to play with Manning at QB. Name recognition is a powerful thing.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn’t say one way or the other. But the comment was that he was looking for a great college town. I wouldn’t call Austin a college town.
Lived in Dallas Metroplex for 7 years and went to Austin two times for games. Like a lot of big metro areas in Texas there were just too many people there to enjoy it. Horrible traffic (there are jokes about I-35 and how they'll still be working on it when the Lord comes back) and just getting out of a parking deck and into the stadium and trying to beat the traffic out made me never want to return to Austin again. Yeah, there's good food and if you're into drinking there's that, but I WOULD NOT consider Austin a great college town. JMO

EDIT: Best thing in Austin is the by-pass around it that you can drive 85 MPH on!

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Yeah, there's good food and if you're into drinking there's that, but I WOULD NOT consider Austin a great college town. JMO
I've never been to Austin, but I just have a problem calling any place that's the state capital and has a population just shy of one million a great college town. Tuscaloosa, Oxford, Auburn, Happy Valley...those are great college towns. Take the college away and the town dries up...that's a great college town.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
On to something here I think. At Bama, he'd compete against Milroe, Simpson, and Holstein. He'll probably start right away at TX as far as I can tell.

It was an interesting thought, but I could never really imagine a Manning at Bama. Just glad the drama's over such as it was.
He would have started immediately at jawja...:rolleyes:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
FWIW, I like our 2023 QB room as is. I think Manning and his celebrity family could easily have been a team disruption so I'm not losing a bit of sleep over his opting for tu. (I reserve "UT" for Tennessee.)
In addition to being what to do by boosters, now Sark has to deal with the Mannings... :rolleyes:

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
FWIW, I like our 2023 QB room as is. I think Manning and his celebrity family could easily have been a team disruption so I'm not losing a bit of sleep over his opting for tu. (I reserve "UT" for Tennessee.)
I agree, the media distraction of having a QB named Manning could be problematic. I remember after Tebow was released from the Broncos, Peter King was saying that teams would not take him as a backup, not because he couldn't be a serviceable backup, but because they didn't want the media distraction of having Tebow on the team. It just wasn't worth it. I'm sure Arch Manning will be a fine college QB and maybe make the NFL, but I think his last name has a lot to do with his hype.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I think it’s gonna backfire for some programs. Reminds me of wealthy parents at high schools that threw a lot of money into a program forcing a coach to play their kid. The weight rooms would improve as would the facilities but the teams would still suck cause too many wealthy donors had a say in everything.

“I paid x amount of money for arch manning…that means the team should do X cause I said so” yeah that won’t cause major problems down the road (blue font).

Reactions: Con

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Let’s look at a couple of opinions and possible facts. Who knows, maybe I am tired or just trying to be overly optimistic.

1. He has not played a single down of college football so who knows how good he is going to be. There have been many qbs in the past that were super hyped and did not pan out, albeit maybe not with his lineage, but potential is just that potential.

2. He did not go to jawjaw. They are the boogs brother as far as I am concerned. Think Hatfield’s and McCoys.

3. His commitment alone, regardless of nil money, only the increases pressure stratospherically for Texas to succeed immediately. Unrealistic expectations start to loom. Cutting corners and attention to detail sometimes become afterthoughts when the need for immediate success is a not only a priority and expected but demanded and your job depends on it. Including the newly found nil money into the equation and the pressure and expectations only get multiplied exponentially. Everything from player development being rushed, to locker room animosity, even the bringing out the seedier unseen, as of yet, side of nil become real possibilities.

4. Ewers has a year to bond and play with these guys before manning arrives. Who knows how he plays, or what type of leader, teammate, locker room presence he has etc. but this could make for increased turmoil and issues as well.

5. Hype is just that hype. All of these high school kids are unproven on the collegiate level and from everything I have read and the videos I have seen Holstein looks like he could be really special. The best high school players don’t always make the best collegiate players. Saban has proven over time that he has a knack for spotting talent and when he hones in on a kid the recruiting service’s rankings go out of the window. jimbob fissure has a reputation for being a qb guru regarding development and spotting talent at the qb position and we took holstein directly from him so extra gravy.

6. We are BAMA.

RTR

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Con and The Ols

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.