• Ohio State runs the table
  • Oklahoma wins out going undefeated
  • Georgia goes to the SECCG and loses to Bama
  • Bama wins out
Who do you take?

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
I definitely think Cincinnati gets left out in that scenario.

Last year was the year the committee should've put Cincinnati in. Instead, they gave Notre Dame credit for squeezing by a Clemson team in 2OT at home when Clemson was missing 5 starters, even though when Clemson was healthy they destroyed Notre Dame at a neutral site in the rematch.

At least Cincinnati already made sure Notre Dame can't weasel their way into the CFP this season.

Reactions: dtgreg and B1GTide

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
OU, UGA, Bama, OSU

Cincy gets left out, Indiana was a one year wonder and I don’t think wins vs ND and SMU would be enough for Cincy to jump any of those four.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
SoS will kill Cincy if ND loses to USC (they might). Either way it’s an anchor around their neck.
In your scenario, Oklahoma will have beaten many more “better” teams than Cincy has; and that argument is a non- starter in regards to OSU, GA and Bama.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
  • Cinci wins out going undefeated
  • Bama wins out
Who do you take?
Take special NCAA dispensation to pair Cincy vs. the presumed unbeaten Coastal Carolina Chancellors, er, sorry Chanticleers* on the CFB playoff undercard to determine the 5th best team in the country.

*Only CFB team in the country named after the Jax State student newspaper!

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
Every fan in America would say Cincy should be left out, but they won't be. In an age of hyper fairness and equity, they get in. The bigger debate is who of the one-loss teams gets left out? It seems like it would have to be one of the SEC teams. Surely it wouldn't be fair to have them both in ;) (even though, again, every fan in America would say they were both top 4 teams). If UGA is left out, the state of Georgia's meltdown will be nuclear.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Every fan in America would say Cincy should be left out, but they won't be. In an age of hyper fairness and equity, they get in. The bigger debate is who of the one-loss teams gets left out? It seems like it would have to be one of the SEC teams. Surely it wouldn't be fair to have them both in ;) (even though, again, every fan in America would say they were both top 4 teams). If UGA is left out, the state of Georgia's meltdown will be nuclear.
I'm not convinced of that yet. But we'll see.

I'm all for Georgia being left out, though.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well the talking heads are already girding for the potential of leaving out Cinci unless there is total chaos.

My top 4 personally in that situation would be:

1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Georgia
I would agree with this scenario. Cincy, while a decent team, is not better than these four. But it would be lovely if put Cincy at 4 and left out Georgia. There would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth to the east.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
correct me if i am wrong, but the job of the committee is to put in the "4 best teams." while most of the time this has to do with overall record, when splitting hairs it seems hard to list a g5 team as one of the "4 best teams" out of all p5 teams. I do agree though and it is unlikely and cincy is left out this year

Reactions: Ledsteplin

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Make it a little more interesting., Same scenario as above but add that Oregon runs the table with a h2h win over ohio state and an overtime loss to stanford.

the line on the UCLA vs Oregon game this weekend is very close though at 2 points in favor of UCLA

complete and utter chaos would be fun though. give me 8 teams with 1 loss and watch the screaming begin. Sometimes its fun to watch the world burn.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
  • Cinci wins out going undefeated
  • Bama wins out
Who do you take?
I need more information.

1) What does Oregon do?
2) What's the score of the SEC title game?

Because while I have zero doubt that Ohio State would obliterate Oregon in a rematch almost anywhere in the USA, I'm a firm believer in respecting the on-the-field results. And if Oregon winds up with the same record and a head-to-head win against Ohio State, I don't see how you can pick Ohio State AHEAD of Oregon (this is the 2015 scenario again, when we all knew OSU was better than Sparty or Iowa).

Assuming Oregon loses......and setting aside the SEC title game score for now.

1) Oklahoma - if they're the lone P5 unbeaten, they're on top this year because of the hype
2) Alabama
3) Georgia
4) Ohio State

It's the seeding affected by whether the SEC title game is close or not and can be called a fluke. I think this is Cincinnati's worst nightmare, it's like when we needed LSU to beat Arky and UGA in 2011 to have a chance for one of two spots rather than one of four. Cincinnati probably gets through the schedule playing AT MOST one ranked team (Notre Dame). Ohio St will in probability have four ranked teams they beat in the process, assuming Michigan doesn't go full Harbaugh after they lose to Sparty this weekend.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Oregon won’t have the SOS if they win out. So even if they do in that scenario they are likely 6 at best.
even with a head to head win over Ohio State you think?

Kentucky also has an opportunity to be 11-1 with their only loss being on the road against a potential* playoff team

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.