Clemson looks bad... incredibly bad. (Clemson Spring Game)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think that Dabo had an incredible group of players come through his program at the same time that made coaching somewhat irrelevant. But over time not having to play any good teams during the season has eroded his program. It sux to play in the SEC and know that no matter how good you are more than likely someone is going to take you down every season, but that constant struggle is what in my opinion has led to Alabama being consistently at a championship level for over a decade.
Dabo would've been able to meet the consistent expectation of going to playoff had he adjusted his approach toward transfer portal. This is one major area he dropped ball on because he would've been able to pull same quality of recruits that Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, etc is pulling. He would've got a transfer that would transform the team into elite playoff team. He didn't do that. He is behind the curve at this point and It'll take him 2 or 3 years to fix the damage he inflicted on the program. Bottom line: I don't think he's at CLemson in 2-3 years. He's Les Miles 2.0

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Dabo would've been able to meet the consistent expectation of going to playoff had he adjusted his approach toward transfer portal. This is one major area he dropped ball on because he would've been able to pull same quality of recruits that Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, etc is pulling. He would've got a transfer that would transform the team into elite playoff team. He didn't do that. He is behind the curve at this point and It'll take him 2 or 3 years to fix the damage he inflicted on the program. Bottom line: I don't think he's at CLemson in 2-3 years. He's Les Miles 2.0
Dabo's mouth painted him into a corner when it came to the transfer portal on top of his comments regarding players "getting paid" aka NIL. Then add to it the coaching staff he kept intact for 7 years fell apart in a two-year time period, and teams figured out they were sign-stealing to boot and made adjustments.

In some ways Dabo shot himself in the foot and in other ways he finally had to deal with what Saban has been dealing with year in and year out, yet still winning.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Dabo's mouth painted him into a corner when it came to the transfer portal on top of his comments regarding players "getting paid" aka NIL. Then add to it the coaching staff he kept intact for 7 years fell apart in a two-year time period, and teams figured out they were sign-stealing to boot and made adjustments.

In some ways Dabo shot himself in the foot and in other ways he finally had to deal with what Saban has been dealing with year in and year out, yet still winning.
Excellent summary.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Our first team offense did not exactly light up the scoreboard....Spring games are meaningless.
Bryce has earned the benefit of the doubt though, unless he has some slump like GMac did on the middle of the 09 season, there’s really nothing to worry about. Also, another thing with the spring game, we have a Will Anderson and a Dallas Turner, Clemson does not.

Outside of that 2020 ND performance (which resulted in a loss), DJ hasn’t really proven anything and still shows no signs of growth.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Bryce has earned the benefit of the doubt though, unless he has some slump like GMac did on the middle of the 09 season, there’s really nothing to worry about. Also, another thing with the spring game, we have a Will Anderson and a Dallas Turner, Clemson does not.

Outside of that 2020 ND performance (which resulted in a loss), DJ hasn’t really proven anything and still shows no signs of growth.
I'm not worried about Bryce...unless it's for his well being. Our OL was pretty helpless from what I have heard...even when Will Andersen was not in the game. Hard to believe that we cannot put together a really good OL.

While we are expressing concerns. Also, This is basically the same secondary that got toasted by UT and by UGA (2nd game.) Our front seven border on being all world, but the back 4 have to pick up their game. Where was the safety on the 75yd TD?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You mean the one that they lost?
Yep they lost 47-40 in OT. Sunshine couldn't play in the game due to Covid policies, I think. DJ plays, throws for nearly 500 yards and has some scrambling yards. That was the game everyone based this notion that he was going to be the next in line after Watson and Sunshine and Clemson wouldn't miss a beat.

Reactions: Con

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I don't know how good they will be but let's not overreact to a spring game. DJ will be replaced within the first few games. Don't understand how he went from the guy that lit up Notre Dame at Notre Dame 2 years ago to what he has become. Their defense will be stout. Their line is pretty awesome. I expect a big dropoff next year when they lose all the guys on that line.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
You know, when Bama has a down year there are immediately around a million articles about the end of the dynasty and Saban’s downfall. Clemson and Dodo were exclaimed to be the next dynasty, the team to up end Saban. Where are all their dynasty over, Dodo is done done articles?
It's almost as if there never was a dynasty to begin with....almost...

DogPatch

All-American
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I think that Dabo had an incredible group of players come through his program at the same time that made coaching somewhat irrelevant. But over time not having to play any good teams during the season has eroded his program. It sux to play in the SEC and know that no matter how good you are more than likely someone is going to take you down every season, but that constant struggle is what in my opinion has led to Alabama being consistently at a championship level for over a decade.
Yeah. It seems to have a Chizik/Newton feel to it, albeit with a few more Newtons over a few years, rather than a one hit One-der . . .

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
DJ isn't good. They aren't going to win anything with him. Idk about the other guy they have now who I think its a true freshman.

I'd be surprised if DJ starts the whole season.
DJ Ukelele is the next Kelly Bryant, except worse. Dabo benched Bryant in 2018 and I would be shocked if he didn't bench DJ at some point this season too.

Reactions: Con

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
DJ Ukelele is the next Kelly Bryant, except worse. Dabo benched Bryant in 2018 and I would be shocked if he didn't bench DJ at some point this season too.
Yes. It is crazy. Bryant was a 3 star ranked 422 in the country. DJ was the 10th ranked recruit in the nation. For some reason he just lost it.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Clemsons recruiting approach has changed a good bit as they were here the other day recruiting several of our guys. There pitch and style has changed since they have been here in the past. I would say some desperation since some of his coaches have left their program. rtr