Coach Oats Will Remain at Alabama

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I’m still nervous until UK gets their guy.
Yeah.

Has UK even approached Oats? We talk about this on the football side all the time. How many coaches have denied they were interested in the Alabama job the last 2 times it has been available? And we know most of them were never even contacted.

I'm just saying. I have, trepidatious positivity right now.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Yeah.

Has UK even approached Oats? We talk about this on the football side all the time. How many coaches have denied they were interested in the Alabama job the last 2 times it has been available? And we know most of them were never even contacted.

I'm just saying. I have, trepidatious positivity right now.
Dunaway seems to think they have. He tweeted this about an hour before Nate's tweet. The surprising bit for me is that the buyout wasn't an obstacle. I didn't think he'd be a serious candidate. It sounds like he was approached, and he told them no thanks. I'm not concerned one bit. He's ours for the foreseeable future. This is huge.1000003504.jpg

Reactions: Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Dunaway seems to think they have. He tweeted this about an hour before Nate's tweet. The surprising bit for me is that the buyout wasn't an obstacle. I didn't think he'd be a serious candidate. It sounds like he was, and he told them no thanks. I'm not concerned one bit. He's ours for the foreseeable future. This is huge.View attachment 41721
Oh I'm not surprised they wouldn't have an issue with that buyout.

Someone up thread compared UK basketball boosters to Texas football boosters and that is accurate. This is a huge win for Alabama if true. HUGE.

And I do not mean that as a thumb our nose at UK basketball thing. I mean that as it is huge that Alabama can now potentially continue to build on making its basketball program a perennial contender for final 4s and a championship.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Oh I'm not surprised they wouldn't have an issue with that buyout.

Someone up thread compared UK basketball boosters to Texas football boosters and that is accurate. This is a huge win for Alabama if true. HUGE.

And I do not mean that as a thumb our nose at UK basketball thing. I mean that as it is huge that Alabama can now potentially continue to build on making its basketball program a perennial contender for final 4s and a championship.
And another plus is that this should shut down any speculation of Oats leaving, until 2026 or a new contract. Kentucky is probably the only school that could afford the buyout, except maybe Texas. And then since he already turned down Kentucky, I don't think anyone else is gonna be as much of a threat. The NBA would really be my only concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
There's nothing like watching our offense when the threes are falling, and the guys are running. In one game this year, with one minute remaining, they overcame a 6-point deficit and won in overtime. The sadness brought on by watching Bama teams pre-Oats seems like a bad dream. Thanks, coach for fully embracing Tide Basketball. May you have many more happy and successful seasons in Tuscaloosa.
OMG yes! The days of passing the ball around the perimeter until there was 4 seconds on the shot clock, then try to drive inside only to miss the layup or get it blocked were torture.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Dunaway seems to think they have. He tweeted this about an hour before Nate's tweet. The surprising bit for me is that the buyout wasn't an obstacle. I didn't think he'd be a serious candidate. It sounds like he was approached, and he told them no thanks. I'm not concerned one bit. He's ours for the foreseeable future. This is huge.View attachment 41721
Calipari left and wasn’t fired, so technically it would’ve only been a 9 million buyout per coach instead of somewhere around twenty million each.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Calipari left and wasn’t fired, so technically it would’ve only been a 9 million buyout per coach instead of somewhere around twenty million each.
Right, but spending 18 million dollars to buyout a basketball coach, when there are other great options just doesn't seem very smart, regardless of how much they saved. Dan Lanning's buyout was about the same as Oats', and Bama said no thanks, and that was for football. Basketball isn't the money maker that football is, no matter what school you are. Most schools wouldn't touch that buyout with a ten foot pole.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I was listening to xm radio the other day and they were alluding to how Cal was tired of the one-and-done philosophy and with Arky he could start fresh and do things differently.

I was thinking wasn't he the main proponent of one-and-done and isn't this the same focus Arky has been trying to emulate the last few seasons?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Cal, as Elvis would say, was caught in a trap. In recent years he underachieved with young teams and veteran ones alike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tidetwin

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I was listening to xm radio the other day and they were alluding to how Cal was tired of the one-and-done philosophy and with Arky he could start fresh and do things differently.

I was thinking wasn't he the main proponent of one-and-done and isn't this the same focus Arky has been trying to emulate the last few seasons?
Interesting take. He could do the change at UK. Maybe Calipari feels the UK folks wouldn't put up with a season or two of growing pains that a team made up of non-one-and-dones would go through. I don't think that was his reasoning but who knows?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Baylor coach just turned them down. Kentucky needs to throw some money at Pearl.
Pearl would belly-crawl over broken glass to get that job and to get out of that cesspool program he is currently in....:cool:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Kentucky fans are melting down over the possibility that they might hire Scott Drew. I guess that just shows how delusional they are. Imagine being upset about hiring a coach who won a natty. Crazy stuff.
Bama fans would never *coughcough* do *coughDabocough* that !

Reactions: UAllday

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Dunaway seems to think they have. He tweeted this about an hour before Nate's tweet. The surprising bit for me is that the buyout wasn't an obstacle. I didn't think he'd be a serious candidate. It sounds like he was approached, and he told them no thanks. I'm not concerned one bit. He's ours for the foreseeable future. This is huge.View attachment 41721
Kentucky fans on their message boards claim he will go if they want him. The arrogance. Do they remember when CNO chastised their fanbase for booing Cal?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads