Coaching Turnover

Rick2017

Jan 22, 2017
I know the assistant coaches want to make as much money as they can, and also, they are hoping for a head coaching job. However, it is a little
strange that we have so many coaches leave. Three OC coaches in the last 12 months, does it affect recruiting?,I am convinced it does. Lane Kiffin mouthing about Saban being hard to work for is not helping the situation. I do not know if it is related to coaching changes, but, we were #5 in recruiting, and suddenly we are #9, makes one wonder.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
Re: Coach Turnover

I don't think recruits are coming to Alabama because of the co-ordinators. In my opinion they're coming for 2 things, Saban & Winning.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I know the assistant coaches want to make as much money as they can, and also, they are hoping for a head coaching job. However, it is a little
strange that we have so many coaches leave. Three OC coaches in the last 12 months, does it affect recruiting?,I am convinced it does. Lane Kiffin mouthing about Saban being hard to work for is not helping the situation. I do not know if it is related to coaching changes, but, we were #5 in recruiting, and suddenly we are #9, makes one wonder.
If you want a springboard to a Head Coaching position -- Bama is the place to go....wouldn't you say?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I saw the title to this thread and I was thinking, "I do not know who this 'Coach Turnover' is, but I do not want him as my offensive coordinator."

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I saw the title to this thread and I was thinking, "I do not know who this 'Coach Turnover' is, but I do not want him as my offensive coordinator."
I could be wrong, BUT I do NOT think Coach Bryant had to deal with Coach Turnover. This makes me admire Coach Saban even more for having to deal with this and still winning NC's.

Many comparisons have been made about these two GREAT Head Coaches, but this thread makes me look at another aspect of comparing the two that I had NOT previously thought about.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Coach Bryant constantly has assistant coaches leave - many for HC positions. But you never heard much about the assistants back then. It wall all about The Bear.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

He might look a bit odd but give him a chance to at least see what he can do next season.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Coach Bryant constantly has assistant coaches leave - many for HC positions. But you never heard much about the assistants back then. It wall all about The Bear.
However, I do not think the TURNOVER was this great. I think I read an article about Coach Bryant in the late 1950's or early 1960's about: the Coach who Coaches the Coaches. And he did have a tree with lots of limbs and leaves.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

It makes it harder to recruit when you lose coordinators for sure, there is an upside to it, program gets infusion of fresh ideas, makes us less predictable. Downside is more learning curve especially for offensive players. Everybody is trying to use Alabama as a spring board to a head coaching job and of course it's working so that many more want to try it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Turnover in the coaching staff is a Goldilocks thing...too little, and you can get stagnant. Too much, and you get unsettled.

We're a bit on the unsettled side right now. Good news is that the turnover has been for promotions -- coordinators to college HC and NFL coordinator jobs. Position coaches to coordinator jobs.

More good news is that this is why we don't typically have a ton of trouble attracting good replacements. The bad news is that it hurts recruiting and forces our players to be forever getting accustomed to a new guy.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

Coach Bryant did have at least of couple of coaches that stayed on his staff for a long time, Ken Donahue on defense and Mal Moore on offense.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

If you want a springboard to a Head Coaching position -- Bama is the place to go....wouldn't you say?
Exactly. It's not like these are bad fits who didn't work out, most if not all got promotions. That won't hurt recruiting at all because that means you are WINNING!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.