College Football Dynasty

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
WOW šŸ˜Æ I donā€™t like the Yankees either. But those guys won on the field. I grew up a Reds fan. Johnny Bench and Pete Rose so I know first hand what the economic divide did to once great organizations.
The Yankees did win on the field.

but remember: that 1950s dynasty, good as it was, had a Yankee puppet (literally - it was their idea) owning the Kansas City Athletics so the Yankees could send some good players over there and keep other teams from getting them, paying top dollar to have them as a farm team. That actually happened.

As far as the 90s Yankees, that's more down-to-earth, it's just amusing the timing. That being said, let me give them some credit: had the Braves won the 1996 World Series, as everyone who watched it knows they should have, and then the Yanks blew the playoff as they did in 1997 to the Indians...the Yankee dynasty never happens because George fires Torre and creates chaos, which disrupts the peaceful clubhouse (by comparison with his other years) they had.

I hate the Reds, always have, but I think there's a solid case for the 1970-76 Reds as the greatest team in baseball history, particularly the last two years. Rose had more hits than anyone, Morgan is considered no worse than the 2nd greatest second baseman of all-time, and Bench is the best all-around catcher who ever lived. As Bill James put it, "If Tom Seaver had just been on the pitching staff of the Big Red Machine title years, this whole discussion would be over."

That pitching staff was.....serviceable.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
The Yankees did win on the field.

but remember: that 1950s dynasty, good as it was, had a Yankee puppet (literally - it was their idea) owning the Kansas City Athletics so the Yankees could send some good players over there and keep other teams from getting them, paying top dollar to have them as a farm team. That actually happened.

As far as the 90s Yankees, that's more down-to-earth, it's just amusing the timing. That being said, let me give them some credit: had the Braves won the 1996 World Series, as everyone who watched it knows they should have, and then the Yanks blew the playoff as they did in 1997 to the Indians...the Yankee dynasty never happens because George fires Torre and creates chaos, which disrupts the peaceful clubhouse (by comparison with his other years) they had.

I hate the Reds, always have, but I think there's a solid case for the 1970-76 Reds as the greatest team in baseball history, particularly the last two years. Rose had more hits than anyone, Morgan is considered no worse than the 2nd greatest second baseman of all-time, and Bench is the best all-around catcher who ever lived. As Bill James put it, "If Tom Seaver had just been on the pitching staff of the Big Red Machine title years, this whole discussion would be over."

That pitching staff was.....serviceable.
You are well versed. I would love to talk to you for hours. Point taken about the Yankees I always believed and stated those championships were bought and paid for. But they still had to make the plays. How could anyone hate Charlie Hustle! LOL šŸ˜‚

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You are well versed. I would love to talk to you for hours. Point taken about the Yankees I always believed and stated those championships were bought and paid for. But they still had to make the plays. How could anyone hate Charlie Hustle! LOL šŸ˜‚
Look, I don't want to discredit ANYBODY.

Those 90s Yankees were solid baseball teams, and it's not like they were top-to-bottom Hall of Famers. They were GOOD players but not really a lot of superstar/HOF level guys beyond Rivera and Jeter. But Posada/O'Neill/Bernie Williams/Wells/etc were GOOD players, VERY good ones. The Braves had a team with 3 HOF starters, a great third baseman in the Hall, plus a centerfielder who was on his way until he went bonkers - but the Yankees beat those guys EIGHT STRAIGHT GAMES in the post-season.

Yeah, I could talk for hours, too, it drives people crazy.

:)

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala

Those 90s Yankees were solid baseball teams, and it's not like they were top-to-bottom Hall of Famers. They were GOOD players but not really a lot of superstar/HOF level guys beyond Rivera and Jeter. But Posada/O'Neill/Bernie Williams/Wells/etc were GOOD players, VERY good ones. The Braves had a team with 3 HOF starters, a great third baseman in the Hall, plus a centerfielder who was on his way until he went bonkers - but the Yankees beat those guys EIGHT STRAIGHT GAMES in the post-season.

As a Braves fan :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To me, for college, it has to cover multiple recruiting classes. So 6-8 years minimum. No carryover of players from first to last
yeah, this is why I think one has to have different standards for pro sports and college.

A pro team can keep the core together for prime years, college football has an expiration date, including great players leaving sooner.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I am sorry but the reference to BJ and the Bear is just wrong. At least Steely Dan was and is a world class musical act. BJ and the Bear is a show from the late 70's that is just better off forgotten. And the Bear was actually a chimpanzee.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019

Those Braves you are referring to were our only hope during that period of stopping the Yankees. They could have changed history with some timely hitting.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I would think that in modern times, the greatest sports dynasty in the US has to be UCLA basketball during the John Wooden years.

Didn't they win like 10 titles in 12 years?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I am sorry but the reference to BJ and the Bear is just wrong. At least Steely Dan was and is a world class musical act. BJ and the Bear is a show from the late 70's that is just better off forgotten. And the Bear was actually a chimpanzee.
Correct, but BJ explained to someone in one episode, when talking about Bear, that "I named him after the greatest football coach who ever lived," or similar.

Not many schools ever had a coach who was a legend in his own time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As a Braves fan :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
The two that get me were the 93 Phillies - who Atlanta was only about 7x better than - and the 96 Yankees, who weren't quite there yet but made it.

The Braves, quite frankly, SHOULD be a dynasty because they should have won the World Series four years in a row (1995-98). But they, too, owe part of their division dynasty to the time, although the big difference is Atlanta was winning division titles in 1991 when the Yankees finished 20 games behind Toronto.

What makes it worse is the Milwaukee Braves should have won the WS four times in a row, too, in 1956-59, and underachieved more than any team in baseball history. That team had three HOFers in the everyday lineup (Aaron, Mathews, Schoendienst), the greatest lefty in history (Spahn), a borderline HOFer as the righty ace (Burdette), and were solid at every position.

They blew a pennant the last weekend (1956), won the Series (57), became the first NL team to blow a 3-1 series lead (58), and lost a 2-game playoff to the Dodgers (59) because they played 20 games below their weight.

BUUUUTTT.......back to college football!!!

=============================================

I don't think "BJ and the Bear" is a bad thing for Alabama, even if it is a good looking dude who can pick his babes but sleeps with a chimp he named after a Bear.

Reactions: rolltide7854

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would think that in modern times, the greatest sports dynasty in the US has to be UCLA basketball during the John Wooden years.

Didn't they win like 10 titles in 12 years?
They did, but they went about it in the shadiest way imaginable even for the time. It's a debatable point, particularly for someone like me who has said repeatedly that the dollar bills don't make tackles or throw passes.

That's true, but college basketball doesn't require near so much for the cheating to pay off, either. One super dominant player and one other guy the opposition has to worry about is sometimes all you need.

John Calipari and Jim Harrick - and Bruce Pearl - have soiled reputations for doing FAR LESS than John Wooden got away with in a different time, at least through a surrogate. And the idea that Wooden in the late 60s and early 70s didn't notice his players wearing fancy clothers or driving fancy cars....I mean, come on.

Now, I understand it DOES take some coaching to gel superstar players with superstar egos, particularly late teens to early 20 guys, so i don't want to dismiss UCLA ENTIRELY, but the fact is Wooden ran or allowed things to be run there to the point it would have made 1980s SMU blush with shame.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
The two that get me were the 93 Phillies - who Atlanta was only about 7x better than - and the 96 Yankees, who weren't quite there yet but made it.

The Braves, quite frankly, SHOULD be a dynasty because they should have won the World Series four years in a row (1995-98). But they, too, owe part of their division dynasty to the time, although the big difference is Atlanta was winning division titles in 1991 when the Yankees finished 20 games behind Toronto.

What makes it worse is the Milwaukee Braves should have won the WS four times in a row, too, in 1956-59, and underachieved more than any team in baseball history. That team had three HOFers in the everyday lineup (Aaron, Mathews, Schoendienst), the greatest lefty in history (Spahn), a borderline HOFer as the righty ace (Burdette), and were solid at every position.

They blew a pennant the last weekend (1956), won the Series (57), became the first NL team to blow a 3-1 series lead (58), and lost a 2-game playoff to the Dodgers (59) because they played 20 games below their weight.

BUUUUTTT.......back to college football!!!

=============================================

I don't think "BJ and the Bear" is a bad thing for Alabama, even if it is a good looking dude who can pick his babes but sleeps with a chimp he named after a Bear.
One more thing about the Braves, their ability to not win when it counts continues to this day.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Look at it this way:

Any player who was recruited to play for Alabama since 2005 (given they redshirted and stayed all 5 years) has won at least one national title. That should be the deciding factor if we want to speak on who is/isnā€™t a dynasty. Win this year and thatā€™s 19 recruiting classes with one or more titles. Unbelievable

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look at it this way:

Any player who was recruited to play for Alabama since 2005 (given they redshirted and stayed all 5 years) has won at least one national title should be the deciding factor if we want to speak on who is/isnā€™t a dynasty. Win this year and thatā€™s 19 recruiting classes with a one or more titles. Unbelievable
And then throw in Auburn won that one early on, which (IN THEORY) should offset some of our recruiting advantage in-state.

Reactions: BamaBoySince89

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!ā€></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.