Fall Camp News/Reactions/Thoughts (other than QB posts)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Re: Fall Camp News/Reactions/Thoughts

Maybe - or maybe the same plays were being called and not executed by Jalen. The formations were the same. The personnel varied as the game went along. Maybe the ply calls were different. Not sure. It just seemed to me that the same plays were called but with a QB who knew how to execute them.
They weren't the same for one big reason. #2's plays were "half plays". If the #1 read was on the right side then the left side were decoy routes.....and vice versa. We didn't even try to hide it and other teams caught on fast.

When the plays are called for Tua the whole play and all routes are 'real'..... and he's scanning the field like the Terminator for the best open target.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

They weren't the same for one big reason. #2's plays were "half plays". If the #1 read was on the right side then the left side were decoy routes.....and vice versa. We didn't even try to hide it and other teams caught on fast.

When the plays are called for Tua the whole play and all routes are 'real'..... and he's scanning the field like the Terminator for the best open target.
Yes. If a play like the one we ran on 2nd and 26 had four possibilities, Jalen only had one read, not four.

No wonder the other 3 players running routes got discouraged.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That is a good point - even if it was the same play, it wasn't.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree that's it more than likely Tosh won't be at Pruitt's level right away or anything. I just think he'll be closer to Pruitt in style and strategic aggressiveness and opposed to Kirby's spectrum of reckless to overly safe/prevent with no in-between.
That is what I am hoping for. Smart was way too passive in long yardage to gain situations. Even though he is not calling the defense at GA, his defenses have taken on that same characteristic.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

This is why our 2014 offense was the pinnacle of Bama passing offense in my lifetime. Sure, Cooper doubled up the next closest guy in receptions but the 2nd leading receiver still had ~50 receptions. White and Jones ran their routes like they were #1 receiver because Sims had proven his ability to read a defense and deliver the ball to the open man. McCarron was no slouch in this regard either, he just never quite had such a fully realized WR corp as Sims in 2014. We've lost that from 2015 and going forward...and the consistency in our passing attack suffered.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Having said that how much of the time will both be on the field and what will the result be? Especially when/if Lewis returns I'd expect we'll probably see a lot of blitz from the LB's considering the age/experience of the secondary.
Our new current 'philosophy' is to get SPEED on the field and attack. You can bet there will be many times and formations where both Mack and Dylan are on the field together.

People think we just switch from 3-4 to 4-3 but the truth is we use MULTIPLE fronts. Heck most of the time we are in Nickel and Dime variants because of most of our SEC opponents are going 3 ,4, and 5-wide and passing so much from Spread formations or Big12 RPO AirRaid stuff like A&M.

So we also often are switching around with 3-3-5, 2-4-5, 4-2-5, and 2-3-6. In those alignments we always have varied multiple LB gap/edge assignments.

Our defense is extremely exotic with flexible personnel variations because our LB's and Secondary are so fast.

What's amazing is Minkah Fitzpatrick had all of it memorized from multiple secondary positions!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Yep. We have an adaptable defense but the personnel use to slant towards preferring some of the aspects better suited for pre-Meyer SEC offenses. What amazes me is that we've still held up magnificently against those traditional offenses while adapting to more spread-you-out teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I know that Tosh will be calling the defense, but I am looking forward to seeing the difference brought to the Tide with Golding and Kuligowski on staff. Scott's role is also going to be critical, but with Saban so involved in the secondary I just don't give that as much thought.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Maybe - or maybe the same plays were being called and not executed by Jalen. The formations were the same. The personnel varied as the game went along. Maybe the ply calls were different. Not sure. It just seemed to me that the same plays were called but with a QB who knew how to execute them.
without knowing the exact play calls it's hard to know, but after watching that game several times, I don't think the playcalling was all that different with Tua. Maybe a slight shift here or there but not significant. The big difference was that Tua gave more on the read option instead of keeping it, he made it past the second read without taking off, looked at both sides of the field and was able to stand in the pocket and let his OL do their job instead of flushing out when there was phantom pressure.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Seems like an SID assistant or whatever they call it kinda tried to shut Jalen's interview down there in the full video. Not a good look but admittedly Hurts was kinda veering into a bad place.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Oh me...Jalen didn't help himself with those comments.

If there hasn't been much communication between him and CNS about this matter, there will be now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

To Jalen's credit, he is clearly upset but has not bailed on his plan or his team.

Roll Tide, Jalen!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The thing is that he didn't necessarily say anything bad. He just didn't rah-rah it very much. He's clearly upset, but he will be here for his team and really for himself because getting his bachelors degree is his best exit strategy. Seeing how the goal is they play a little football and get a degree when they're done...I'm not going to take any umbrage.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

Wow that didnt seem like the right foot to start on to win the favor of the coaches and teammates i sure hope this isnt going to be toxic as saban has said over and over dont bring attention and make it all about you. My opinion has always been the nod goes to Tua but that interview pretty much tells the tale to me

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

WOW. I'm almost speechless.....

Yeah...um.....he's either checked out or he's about to play with a chip on his shoulder but he is obviously highly ticked off and bitter/upset/hurt about things.

But CNS has continually said it would be decided in the Fall based on performance and who 'Wins' the team.

It was Papa Hurts who made things a bit tense with all the Free Agent talk and trying to press the issue on naming a starter outside of CNS's timeline.

This just doesn't look good AT ALL.......Yikes.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

i sure hope this isnt going to be toxic
I'm pretty sure the team will just rally behind Tua. The only toxicity will be their attitude toward Jalen, and he's bringing it on himself. Him and his Dad.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The thing is that he didn't necessarily say anything bad. He just didn't rah-rah it very much. He's clearly upset, but he will be here for his team and really for himself because getting his bachelors degree is his best exit strategy. Seeing how the goal is they play a little football and get a degree when they're done...I'm not going to take any umbrage.
Yeah, but it's the very fact that he's basically questioning CNS in the whole matter that makes his comments "bad."

If he would have just talked about his feelings that's fine, but when he brings into question how the University handled it, that's a shot at CNS.

He should have just owned up and said my dad opened a can of worms, but instead he acted like CNS is to blame.

I like the guy a lot and he's been nothing but class in how he's always handled himself, but I believe he'll wish he had a do over for today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.