Five Worst Coaches to win a National Championship

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Number 1 has to be that mumble mouth from LSUā€¦the Ogre. Heā€™s the all time biggest doofus who had virtually nothing to do with LSU winning a NC. The only thing he ever won was the clapping contest.

Reactions: rolltide7854

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I agree with this list. it's kinda crazy that Les Miles would probably have at least one more, if not for Saban, and maybe 2 more, because we took so many good Louisiana players from him. But of course, we all know who built that program up for him.

Reactions: DanoCanuck

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
I agree with this list. it's kinda crazy that Les Miles would probably have at least one more, if not for Saban, and maybe 2 more, because we took so many good Louisiana players from him. But of course, we all know who built that program up for him.
Les Miles was handed a Ferrari but even he eventually wrecked it. I hate to think if Saban had stayed there. i donā€™t think he would have won as many as he has here but they would have been a major thorn in our sides.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Any list without Lloyd Carr and Dennis Erickson is incomplete. Jimbo being on there is just tons of recency bias and hate for Jimbo.
Thought about both of them but both of them had quite a lot of success outside of their titles. And Erickson won 2.

I also donā€™t get Switzer on these lists if we are not also including Osborne. Didnā€™t Switzer own Osborne?

Bobby Rossā€¦ maybe. McCartney had a lot of success at Colorado outside of 1990 didnā€™t he?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thought about both of them but both of them had quite a lot of success outside of their titles. And Erickson won 2.

I also donā€™t get Switzer on these lists if we are not also including Osborne. Didnā€™t Switzer own Osborne?

Bobby Rossā€¦ maybe. McCartney had a lot of success at Colorado outside of 1990 didnā€™t he?
Erickson is clearly the worst to win 2 but considering that he was gifted a super team by Jimmy itā€™s not hard to see why his career is what is after that run.

I think Switzer is closer to be one of the top 10 coaches of all time and itā€™s mostly out of hatred for what he represents that anyone puts him in the worst category. I mean I think itā€™s funny that so many put Osborne as a top 10 coach and donā€™t have switzer as a top 20 but Barry was like 11-5 against him, and was never given a bogus title like Osborne had in 97.

Carr deserves to be in serious consideration. Anyone that costed himself of winning a national championship by benching Tom Brady for absolutely no reason other than the fans wanting Henson needs their head examined. The 97 Michigan team was basically the team everyone knew was a fraud but their schedule would never allow them to be exposed. Quite honestly both Nebraska and Michigan are lucky Spurrier beat Bowden that day in Gainesville.

McCarthy I would say no. McCarty built a team from nothing and proved he was a good coach

Ross I would say yes. Was a bad coach that got lucky one year

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Erickson is clearly the worst to win 2 but considering that he was gifted a super team by Jimmy itā€™s not hard to see why his career is what is after that run.

I think Switzer is closer to be one of the top 10 coaches of all time and itā€™s mostly out of hatred for what he represents that anyone puts him in the worst category. I mean I think itā€™s funny that so many put Osborne as a top 10 coach and donā€™t have switzer as a top 20 but Barry was like 11-5 against him, and was never given a bogus title like Osborne had in 97.

Carr deserves to be in serious consideration. Anyone that costed himself of winning a national championship by benching Tom Brady for absolutely no reason other than the fans wanting Henson needs their head examined. The 97 Michigan team was basically the team everyone knew was a fraud but their schedule would never allow them to be exposed. Quite honestly both Nebraska and Michigan are lucky Spurrier beat Bowden that day in Gainesville.

McCarthy I would say no. McCarty built a team from nothing and proved he was a good coach

Ross I would say yes. Was a bad coach that got lucky one year
Yeah I don't think Switzer belongs on this list. What he did back then is absolutely legal now. And it's not that I believe in judging the past by the standards of today. I'm just making the point that his crimes were not so heinous, unless I'm overlooking something other than paying for players.

You're right about Erickson. But to say he is among the 5 worst is a stretch to me. He certainly coasted off Jimmy Johnson's building of the program. Much like Miles did off Saban at LSU. But he did win the thing twice and played for it 3 times. Then he later took Oregon State to a BCS bowl and clobbered (an overrated) Notre Dame team.

I forgot about Carr and the Henson/Brady debacle. Sheesh that was bad.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads