Ford Mustang Mach-E has a mile of wires it doesn’t need. That’s a big deal

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ford needs some new engineers and designers.
We didn’t know that our wiring harness for Mach-E was 1.6 kilometers longer than it needed to be. We didn’t know it’s 70 pounds heavier and that that’s [cost an extra] $300 a battery,” he said on a call with investors Thursday. “We didn’t know that we underinvested in braking technology to save on the battery size.”
“Ford has been the #1 in recalls in the US for the last 2 years. Clearly, that’s not acceptable.”

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ford needs some new engineers and designers.
We didn’t know that our wiring harness for Mach-E was 1.6 kilometers longer than it needed to be. We didn’t know it’s 70 pounds heavier and that that’s [cost an extra] $300 a battery,” he said on a call with investors Thursday. “We didn’t know that we underinvested in braking technology to save on the battery size.”
“Ford has been the #1 in recalls in the US for the last 2 years. Clearly, that’s not acceptable.”
I'm really not sure how anyone buying a new vehicle right now can buy anything from the historic 'big three' US auto manufacturers - in reality, all three are terrible regarding build quality and engineering, especially if you are someone who keeps their car for more than 3-5 years.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I'm really not sure how anyone buying a new vehicle right now can buy anything from the historic 'big three' US auto manufacturers - in reality, all three are terrible regarding build quality and engineering, especially if you are someone who keeps their car for more than 3-5 years.
From my niece, not true with the Bolt, once battery was replaced. Two years and they love theirs and have no plans ATM to trade it in; it serves their purposes.
And I’d check the numbers on how many people keep new cars beyond five years; I know it’s the smart thing to do, but only if you have certain vehicles (Honda, Toyota, Subaru and maybe one or two others) who can handle high mileage without major repairs.
At this time, down time for repairs is just about equal to dollar cost for same - parts are scarce and so are qualified mechanics.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
From my niece, not true with the Bolt, once battery was replaced. Two years and they love theirs and have no plans ATM to trade it in; it serves their purposes.
And I’d check the numbers on how many people keep new cars beyond five years; I know it’s the smart thing to do, but only if you have certain vehicles (Honda, Toyota, Subaru and maybe one or two others) who can handle high mileage without major repairs.
At this time, down time for repairs is just about equal to dollar cost for same - parts are scarce and so are qualified mechanics.
Depends on the model and what year you are into that cycle. If you get a brand new model, you’re going to have more problems. You get a model that’s 5-6 years old right before they change it, you’ll have less problems on average. I have a 2014 F150 that has been a good truck. Not as problem free as a Toyota, but good enough for me needs. The 2014 was the last production model for that cycle. The 2015’s were a brand new model and have had some issues, a lot more than mine.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, so after they replaced the rough equivalent of the engine in an EV, it's been fine for two whole years.

That's kinda the point I'm making. Major repairs are needed far sooner and more often than with the competition. Big3 auto manufacturers suck wrt quality, have for some time.

That's my point - talking about environmental damage, which does more? Building a vehicle that can reliably run without major repairs for 400k miles or building one that's 'disposable'?

As a consumer, I own five vehicles, all manufactured by Toyota (or Lexus). They're all expected, based on track record of build quality, to last close to 500k miles without major repairs. They're all long paid for and are safe and reliable.

I just cannot fathom why anyone would continue to buy from the 'Big3'. Makes no sense to me.

I despise poor engineering. Truly hate it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Depends on the model and what year you are into that cycle. If you get a brand new model, you’re going to have more problems. You get a model that’s 5-6 years old right before they change it, you’ll have less problems on average. I have a 2014 F150 that has been a good truck. Not as problem free as a Toyota, but good enough for me needs. The 2014 was the last production model for that cycle. The 2015’s were a brand new model and have had some issues, a lot more than mine.
And to be fair, both Chevy and Ford place a lot of emphasis on their truck platform - they're usually quite high in build quality, as those are their bread-and-butter lines.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I'm with you BamaFlum, I never buy the 1st year new model of anything. Wait until the bugs are worked out.
I had a 98 F150 and now a 2008F150, both time tested models. Been great reliable trucks. My son bought a 2nd year model 2013 F150 and it has been a poor vehicle. I tried to tell him!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
And to be fair, both Chevy and Ford place a lot of emphasis on their truck platform - they're usually quite high in build quality, as those are their bread-and-butter lines.
I have a 2014 F150 , it has 235k on it now. No problems. I was looking to trade it in , but the recent truck shortage prevented that , so now I’m confident it will make 300k And I will trade it late next year when things perhaps calm down. I keep about 1300lbs in tools and supplies full time in the truck but so far it has handled the challenge. My next truck will be an F250. An EV truck will be in the distant future for me, 6-7 years down the road, maybe.

I wanted to sell my Jag recently, but the Jag switch to all EV by 2025 has made me rethink that. I really doubt that Jaguar makes that model year deadline, but when they do they can't recreate the signature exhaust of the F-type.

my biggest issues with EV cars in general is the limited travel distance. I drive 180 , sometimes 300 miles a day. In heavy Atlanta traffic . My coworkers claim that in Atlanta traffic they are getting maybe 240 miles on a charge, most times less. Battery technology has to improve to the point of 350+ on a single charge or rethink our driving habits, roadway conditions.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I had Ford Explorers for 10-12 years and then switched to Tahoe's. The Ford Explorers had to have transmissions replaced @ 100,000. I drove the Tahoes 185-200,000 with nothing major repaired. Transmission shop told me that they called these Fords -- Exploders -- because at that mileage the transmission exploded.

I now have an Acura TLX -- great car...but I miss my big Tahoe.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I still don’t understand the push for all electric so quickly. It would make more sense to heavily push hybrids and plug in hybrids will slowly integrating EV’s while the infrastructure upgrades. Like many of you, the range and recharging times are worth it if you have to drive longer distances. One other concern is how hard are EV’s to work on? Once we start getting older EV’s, can your local shop fix a problem that arises?

Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I still don’t understand the push for all electric so quickly. It would make more sense to heavily push hybrids and plug in hybrids will slowly integrating EV’s while the infrastructure upgrades. Like many of you, the range and recharging times are worth it if you have to drive longer distances. One other concern is how hard are EV’s to work on? Once we start getting older EV’s, can your local shop fix a problem that arises?
I agree. But it's all the rage to 'save the planet' while completely ignoring the fact that huge portions of the US have rolling blackouts when it's too hot or too cold for the grid to keep up with the load.

There are already non-Tesla shops that can work on Teslas, though my it's understanding that 'authorized service centers' have better pricing wrt parts.

I think the rush here is to capitalize on the public's willingness to spend extra for EVs right now. But there's zero question that ignoring our power infrastructure for decades, combined with the move away from carbon-based fuels to renewables (while ignoring nuclear because of ignorant fears) while renewables still cannot keep up with the load it a huge issue. Toyota has proven - for decades now - that the Prius is a great compromise moving into the future, but patience is not something most people are good at.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If people try to charge them during the day we could run into problems. There is plenty (for now) surplus generating capacity at nights.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.