Link: Former Bama OC O'Brien Suggested QB Milroe Changed Position

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am not a BOB fan as a coach, but I do understand his position vis a vis JM. We had enough comments suggesting the same on here. Fortunately we have a OC who has developed a scheme that fits his talents...and obviously he has worked his tail off.

Like Lamar Jackson you have to plan for 2 plays...the one the team is running and then what JM does when the play breaks down.

Revrph79

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 30, 2020
I seem to remember Saban saying they had a package prepared for Jalen after Bryce was injured.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
To this point, they rep in practice what the starters can execute. The rest of the team executes this the best they can. You dont rep stuff with 2nd team that just fits their talents. So I can see where Jalen's development languished in the 2 years under Bob...
Exactly this! Practice hours are very limited, thus the number of reps, and plays able to be practiced are limited. A coach is going to want his 2s to be repping the exact same things as his 1s, in case they need to step in for an injured player. The way Alabama rotates players and formations, there are probably 26-28 guys who really make up the 2 deep on offense. A coach can't completely change what is going on because one of those guys isn't a fit for the scheme.

Anyone can go look and see I was highly critical of BOB, but in context, he's still not really wrong about his statement. In a pro-style, NFL oriented passing offense, JM still isn't really a fit as a QB. After the UT loss, in film review coaches were asking Jalen what he saw and should have seen that resulted in certain things (i.e. read he was making, or supposed to make) or maybe what he really should have keyed on, and he told them he didn't know. To accomodate, CTR has made significant changes; taking out some routes and concepts altogether, and simplifying what JM has to try to read, and we still have guys wide open in the progression and JM doesn't get the ball there. Many of JM's 'wow' plays actually only happen because he missed the early open reads and then had to default to sandlot football to make something happen.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Exactly this! Practice hours are very limited, thus the number of reps, and plays able to be practiced are limited. A coach is going to want his 2s to be repping the exact same things as his 1s, in case they need to step in for an injured player. The way Alabama rotates players and formations, there are probably 26-28 guys who really make up the 2 deep on offense. A coach can't completely change what is going on because one of those guys isn't a fit for the scheme.

Anyone can go look and see I was highly critical of BOB, but in context, he's still not really wrong about his statement. In a pro-style, NFL oriented passing offense, JM still isn't really a fit as a QB. After the UT loss, in film review coaches were asking Jalen what he saw and should have seen that resulted in certain things (i.e. read he was making, or supposed to make) or maybe what he really should have keyed on, and he told them he didn't know. To accomodate, CTR has made significant changes; taking out some routes and concepts altogether, and simplifying what JM has to try to read, and we still have guys wide open in the progression and JM doesn't get the ball there. Many of JM's 'wow' plays actually only happen because he missed the early open reads and then had to default to sandlot football to make something happen.
sounds like 2016/2017

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.