FSU to the SEC?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Clemson singing a similar song

it now looks like it’s on death’s door
If I’m reading correctly from the link above, the Big 10 is killing the SEC in media revenue. IMO, the SEC made a SERIOUS mistake in getting totally in bed with ESPN. The SEC negotiators seem to have been out-maneuvered every time.

Is the Big 10 going to be taking in $7 bil for 8 yrs vs the SEC’s 3 bil for 10 yrs vs the Big 12’s 2.3 bil for 8 yrs.

Annual payout per school
Big10 ~ $55 mil
SEC ~$19
Big12 ~$24

There must be more revenue from somewhere else. This can’t be right

The only advantage the SEC woul have is that most of the players are in their footprint. But the Big 10 may be able to come down and outbid the SEC at some point. The SEC leadership appears to be stupid and gutless. I have little confidence in Sankey.

I’m making these comments on incomplete knowledge. Somebody, KRAZY?, straighten me out please. I’m doing a lot of guessing.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I do not like FSU by themselves, but I've warmed to the idea of adding them to prevent the Big 10 from adding them and in addition to another addition/additions.

If they bring something of real value along for the ride then that could be interesting, especially if viewed purely in a B1G vs. SEC context. It would mean the SEC would own Florida in perpetuity.

But, they are already tremendously popular there so it isn't at all necessary. I'd much prefer NC or even Notre Dame (even though they seem like a pipe dream). I would probably prefer Virginia. The home run move to me would be FSU, Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina. Then it's basically game over, SEC won.

If it was just VT though I'm not 100% sure which I'd prefer. My kind of nightmare scenario is the SEC gets Clemson and FSU, doubles down on states they are already in and football powers which they already have.
I think NC, Virginia and Notre Dame and FSU would be good additions and put them above and beyond any other conference...................then the howls of indignation would begin

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
ND to the SEC makes no sense at all but then neither does USC and Rutgers in the B1G. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ND to ANY conference would be huge for that conference. No way around it, that school has a massive fanbase that draws eyeballs from coast to coast.

FTR, the dirt burglars, ATM, sexat, and mizzou don't make any geographical sense, either.

ND to ANY conference would be huge for that conference. No way around it, that school has a massive fanbase that draws eyeballs from coast to coast.
Oh, absolutely. They're the biggest prize by far not already in the SEC or Big Ten. It's just that ND seems to be a much more obvious fit for a Midwestern conference than a Southern one.

FTR, the dirt burglars, ATM, sexat, and mizzou don't make any geographical sense, either.
Visually, they do, in that Texas shares borders with Louisiana and Arkansas, which are already in the SEC. Missouri is intuitively weirder but shares borders with Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Oklahoma shares borders with Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. But, yes, they just don't make any sense in terms of driving---which is presumably how non-revenue teams travel to games.

And, frankly, by that logic, ND "fits," too, as Indiana borders Kentucky.

I get that football and television dollars are driving the train on all these decisions and have since at least the 1992 expansion that brought Arkansas and South Carolina in the SEC. I just wish some thought was given to the non-revenue sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If the ACC had told Notre Dame in 2020 that it was going to require them to join the conference completely in football, then I do believe things would be different today. That would have guaranteed the ACC's financial future.

Certainly Notre Dame is not going to give up its football rivalries so easily. I believe they have 3 games they would absolutely refuse to part with - USC, Stanford, and Navy. A thought I had, and I'm under no delusions things would ever fall out this way, is for the ACC to invite Navy, Stanford, and Cal along with Notre Dame as full fledged members. (If USC/UCLA to the Big Ten is a thing...) That way Notre Dame keeps 2 of its rivalries as conference games and can have USC as a non-conference game.

I think the Big Ten had other things in mind than securing the LA market when adding USC and that was to force a move by Notre Dame. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't go ahead and add Stanford in order to really drive them over the edge.

Reactions: DawgAlum2054
I think the Big Ten had other things in mind than securing the LA market when adding USC and that was to force a move by Notre Dame. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't go ahead and add Stanford in order to really drive them over the edge.
I could see Stanford, Cal, and Oregon being brought in as part of a package deal with ND. There's no reason to bring in the first three alone, as they don't add enough value and would therefore cost teams money if the pie is divided evenly. ND moves the needle enough to make up for that.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
If I’m reading correctly from the link above, the Big 10 is killing the SEC in media revenue. IMO, the SEC made a SERIOUS mistake in getting totally in bed with ESPN. The SEC negotiators seem to have been out-maneuvered every time.

Is the Big 10 going to be taking in $7 bil for 8 yrs vs the SEC’s 3 bil for 10 yrs vs the Big 12’s 2.3 bil for 8 yrs.

Annual payout per school
Big10 ~ $55 mil
SEC ~$19
Big12 ~$24

There must be more revenue from somewhere else. This can’t be right

The only advantage the SEC woul have is that most of the players are in their footprint. But the Big 10 may be able to come down and outbid the SEC at some point. The SEC leadership appears to be stupid and gutless. I have little confidence in Sankey.

I’m making these comments on incomplete knowledge. Somebody, KRAZY?, straighten me out please. I’m doing a lot of guessing.
Yes I thought that too. Something is wrong with the info in that article because there’s no way the BIG* is getting over double the SEC’s Media Rights deal. Maybe someone with more knowledge can update us here.

On another note, it’s just mind boggling how college football is changing and/or has changed in the last decade or so. I would guess the most recent changes, and those contemplated, have more impact on college football than every major event in the sports previous history combined. I really don’t like it but I’m going along for the ride like everyone else.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's just a hard NO for ND. I think Coach Bryant would turn over in his grave to think of ND to the SEC!

JMO but the principle of the matter should weigh over money in this regard. Plus of all teams in America, they don't fit the SEC in any way, especially culture and location.
You get no argument from me. Frankly, Notre Dame has always belonged in the Big Ten, IMO.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If both FSU and Clemson are floating restructuring, then I'd bet cash money that there are discussions happening behind the scenes with other conference leaders. It would be stupid to NOT do so considering the long-term implications.

I'd not be surprised if we wake up some random morning to find the SEC has added even more teams.
At the rate things are going we may pick up a couple. If we do, the other teams will be looking for a super conference too.
Things at ACC could fall apart pretty quick.
If FSU and Clemson leave I don't see the ACC being a viable product. It's a pipe dream but Virginia, and North Carolina ... I somehow think Virginia thinks they are above the SEC. SO... VT might make a good team for homecoming games.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Just not reading through this thread, but a lot of this has been floating around for a while. Saw Greg McElroy speak in Atlanta in Aug. and he specifically named UNC, UVA, FSU, and Miami. So we shall see. Seems to be a lot of smoke at this point.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.