Gems on streaming networks part 2

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we've started watching shogun. the first two episodes came out this week.

so far it's pretty good. i'm amazed how much i remember of the story from when i watched as a kid when it originally came out

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I tried to give the Acolyte a chance. It’s wretched. Freaking Disney.
Yeah I thought maybe with how Andor did and with Disney’s new commitment to storytelling that Star Wars could turn the corner but Acolyte pretty much showed that no one cares anymore at Lucasfilm.

I will say however X men 97 was great if you like nostalgia and great storytelling.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I tried to give the Acolyte a chance. It’s wretched. Freaking Disney.
I've tapped out too.

Mando S03, Kenobi, Andor, Boba Fett and Ahsoka were all hit and miss with me.

All of those had High Highs and Low Lows with mediocrity in between.

Star Wars is such a watered down franchise at this point and has lost all of it's magic.

I can't even suspend disbelief anymore because it all looks so cheap now and like they just pulled nobody actors in to produce Fan Made films.

The original trilogy has been 3 of my favorite films ever for most of my life and I use to love everything Star Wars related so it's depressing now that I don't really care anymore.

Kathleen Kennedy wins.

Reactions: OakMtn4Bama

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

The song "Ue wo Muite Arukou" was sung and written by Kyu Sakamoto, who died in an Japan Airlines plane crash deadlier than the AA one in this episode.

If you've seen the entire episode, this scene makes perfect sense. Don has just told Mohawk Airlines that SC is dropping them to pursue American Airlines. It was a decision Don didn't like because he gave Mohawk his word that SC would stick with them as they grew. He just got finished being unfaithful to his word in a business deal and he hated it. Now he has (another) chance to be unfaithful to his wife, but this time (surprisingly) he passes it up. He can't stomach the idea of being so unfaithful again so soon.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Smoking on an airplane and Telstar; The perfect encapsulation of the early 60s

TELSTAR was the first UK single to reach #1 in the US. 1962. It was an insrumental. In 1964 The Beatles hit #1 in the US. The producer of TELSTAR was Joe Meek. Early 60's London sound engineer. There was a documentary called " A Death in the Life of Joe Meek"

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don’t know if it has been mentioned, I looked through about half of the threads, but I really liked Ray Donovan , available on Paramount+ / showtime.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The first few seasons were great, and then they so weakened Ray that he became something else, and the series did, too.
Yeah, but some would say they made him more vulnerable, more human when he started losing fights, losing influence, etc.The problem with a character like Ray Donovan is the creator can’t see past the first 20 or so shows, so he has to become vulnerable , show weakness or every episode would be the same with different antagonists. A lot like the show Dexter, he couldn’t be the same cold character he started in season one. but the Jon Voight character , Mickey Donovan, remained the same throughout the series. For the record, I liked Hollywood Ray much more than Broadway Ray.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads