Gene Chizik to coach Birmingham USFL team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's not a tie, c'mon. Orgeron is the dumbest human to ever be HC in college football. He's never even been a coordinator as everyone he's worked for knows he's too stupid to understand the complexities of being a DC.
Orgeron was the DC under Lane Kiffin at USC.

I agree with the rest, though.

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is it odd to anyone else that someone that by most accounts is considered a below average coach is also considered an above average analyst (and way better than above average to some on here.) Is it because ESPN hires such bad analysts or they do not let their good analysts actually speak their mind?
He's a below average head coach.

His defenses won 29 games in a row when he was DC at Auburn and Texas from 2003-2006, won a national title and had two unbeaten seasons in a row.

There are many coordinators who are stellar coordinators who simply do not possess the skill set to make the jump to running the show. Some names like Joe Lee Dunn, Homer Smith, John Chavis, Norm Chow, Dave Wannstedt, Norv Turner and a number of others become almost legendary as coordinators and flop as head coaches (Dan Henning in the NFL was another one).

But most of those guys are light years above the rest of us in analyzing a particular side of the ball, too. Plus - knowing what a team is doing strategically is a different animal than recruiting or motivating.

Reactions: Con

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'll miss him on the SECN. I really like Chiz as an analyst. Hard to blame him for taking this opportunity though--he's still relatively young, has a history with Mac Brown, strong familiarity with the program, a low pressure/low stress environment coaching football at a basketball powerhouse, and he'll likely make close to a $1 million/yr.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I'll miss him on the SECN. I really like Chiz as an analyst. Hard to blame him for taking this opportunity though--he's still relatively young, has a history with Mac Brown, strong familiarity with the program, a low pressure/low stress environment coaching football at a basketball powerhouse, and he'll likely make close to a $1 million/yr.
Agreed. Still, SEC Network/ESPN/THE MOUSE must have been paying him pretty well, don't you think? Heckuva lot easier job sitting there all fancied up. Man, I'd take that TV deal anytime. He did a good job on SEC Network, and he's a faithful man, which makes me like him even more. Yeah, he "coached" at auburn, but they'd probably hire me if I doctored up my resume a little bit. :D

Reactions: deliveryman35

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do not think Mack Brown will be in Chapel Hill after the upcoming season, therefore I think Chizik is one and done at UNC. Hopefully he can rejoin the SEC network.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I wonder if Sankey is cooking up a deal to cherry-pick UNC, FL St., Miami from ACC and MIch, OSU from B1G, along with USC and Washington from PAC 12 for a new TV contract next year? Or does it pay to stand pat for four more years and let Apple TV, FB, et al bid thru the roof?

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I hope he gets a another crack at a head coaching gig and succeeds. Chizik is a really good guy.
He seems like it although I remember him kind of losing his mind after the National Championship and going all Mike Dubose "God leads this Program" before he got canned. Hope Mack Brown can mentor him and he can be successful there. Also hope he doesn't have a crazy wife.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No idea how this league is going to do any better than any of the other Spring leagues.
this league will succeed, it has a couple of advantages. Cost are low. Starting in one city will will help with operational cost until the league gets established. It has a TV partner. Fox sports owns the league and will televise half the schedule. NBC sports will televise the other half. the biggest advantage is the rise of sports betting. the NFL is the #1 sport in the USA and it’s not even close. CFB is actually #2 in terms of viewership on TV . So football popularity is there. And since the league is marketed as a sports betting opportunity, it will catch on. JMO.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
He seems like it although I remember him kind of losing his mind after the National Championship and going all Mike Dubose "God leads this Program" before he got canned. Hope Mack Brown can mentor him and he can be successful there. Also hope he doesn't have a crazy wife.
I hope the energy vampires don't sick the life out of the Stallions.

Reactions: dtgreg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.