Golf

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The 2021 Masters will be considered a transformational event in 20 years. While Asian players dominate the LPGA tour, they do not dominate the PGA. That could be changing as they are working harder and harder. Thanks to Tiger Woods golf has leaped out of the country clubs and moved around the world...better and better athletes are coming to golf as their primary sport.

Hideki Matsuyama is a proven great player and he will continue to win. Andy North said that this win could be worth 1 billion (that's right, a Billion) to him over his lifetime. That's about ten times what it means to the average US/European golfer in life-time endorsements, etc.
One of my favorite players as a kid was Isao Aoki.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Have to give a shout-out to Dickie Pride, UA golfer who won on the Champions Tour this weekend. He "Monday qualified" and then won the tournament. He's now exempt for 2 years...
The PGA is here @ Kiawah Island -- 25 minutes from my home. Unfortunately I cannot go -- cannot walk very far yet...but thankfully mega TV coverage.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Have to give a shout-out to Dickie Pride, UA golfer who won on the Champions Tour this weekend. He "Monday qualified" and then won the tournament. He's now exempt for 2 years...
The PGA is here @ Kiawah Island -- 25 minutes from my home. Unfortunately I cannot go -- cannot walk very far yet...but thankfully mega TV coverage.
Kiawah is a beautiful place and the course is amazing.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Kiawah is a beautiful place and the course is amazing.
We regularly go to the beach there...very convenient. I played the Ocean Course with my sons last July -- it is an extremely challenging course. I feel for the PGA teaching pro's as they will probably struggle from the tips. If the wind blows then over par will win...but the forecast is for mild, not strong winds.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Phil Mickelson unconscious right now at the PGA on Kiawah. Four under through eight holes today and nine under on the tournament.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
And bogie on 12 for Phil and then double bogie on 13 dropping him back to -7.

Kiawah just bit Mickelson in rear.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
A shout out to the Pepperdine Waves for winning the Men's National Championship...as well as to the Ole Miss Women for doing the same last week. Both were played at Greyhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona...a renown and tough layout.

Pepperdine is a private, Christian university so this would be akin to Samford winning the NC. Of course, when your university sits in Malibu overlooking the Pacific Ocean recruiting is much easier!!!

This week the PGA Tour makes its annual pilgrimage to pay homage to Jack Nicklaus and his pride and joy, Muirfield Village.. The course has been reworked over the past year so it will be interesting to see how the golfers fare. Weather, as in thunder storms, usually plays havoc with this tournament.

Former Bama player Justin Thomas is in the field and really wants to win this tournament at some point, but currently his game is trending in the wrong direction. He has been in a "funk" for several weeks. However, one good swing "feel" and one good round can turn everything around for these players. The field is the strongest in several weeks and is just short of the field strength of the majors. For some reason this tournament does have a history of unknowns rising up and winning...but for the most part that was before it's new and improved date which has given rise to a stronger field.

The Women are playing their US Open at the Olympic Club in San Francisco, Ca. If you want to see strategic golf at its best, watch the women. They do not overpower a course, but play a game of position and skill that most of us would love to have.

Enjoy your game...I'm still 8 weeks away from playing but the recovery from spine surgery and treatments are going well!!!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I have to say a word about the US Open...this has been quite an eye-opening start. Richard Bland (48) has won once -- a few weeks ago -- on the European Tour after 478 starts over 24 years. He is tied at 5 under par with Russell Henley (32, UGA golf alum) who has won 3 times I believe. He is the typical journeyman golfer who is good enough to win once in a while when all the planets align -- and otherwise finishes high enough to keep his card and make a few million a year. These are not your favorites by any stretch...going to be a good 2 days I hope. My sons and I have a tradition of watching the final round together (when we can) and at least calling or texting during the round. Lots of fun...

Reactions: CB4

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Saturday was the best 3rd round of a major that I can remember. Lots of big shots, turmoil and movement on the leaderboard. The leaders stayed stagnant so there are now 13 players within a few shots of the lead...this should make for an outstanding day of competition. Watch out for John Rahm and Rory McElroy -- they are trending.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
The Open is this week -- and there is more controversy about this one pre-tee off than any I can remember. About 13 players have withdrawn over Covid concerns or wanting to stay healthy for the Olympics. Each player can only take 3 persons, including their caddy and coach, must do pretesting, quarantine in a bubble after they come, and yet England is allowing 32,000 fans on course (and allowed Wimbledon and Wembley to be full over the weekend. Go figure.) NBC/Golf Channel sent a minimal crew due to those same Covid restrictions and have set up in a building/warehouse in Connecticut to use the BBC feed and broadcast from there.

Royal St. George's is not known to be a great course by golfing afficianadoes...from what I've seen today they've had a lot of rain so it is lush green, not as burned out and fast as normal. Links golf is played on the ground more than US golf, so this should be interesting.

Former Clemson golfer and good friend to my son, Lucas Glover, won this past week and is trending well. He has probably underachieved relative to his talent....due to a balky putter and other issues which he had to put behind him. He's a really great guy...

The course is not that difficult, so it should be "open" to anyone. However, it is "The Open" -- that stage is far too large for at least 50% of the field. You can eliminate another 30% or so due to bad playing and putting...along with bad breaks. 20% leaves about 30 possible golfers who could win...which is probably correct. If you bet on this -- I don't -- don't over look the British golfers: Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, Tommy Fleetwood, & Tyrel Hatton among others. They have been pointing toward this tournament all season. Fleetwood is especially dangerous.

FYI, The Open airs @ 4am on the Golf Channel, Th-Fri. The 5am-7am on Sat/Sun...with NBC airing 7am to 3pm on both days. Yes, I will be up and watching most of the tournament...LOL!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Doing some reading and have the Golf Channel on -- women's Scottish Open. They show a man on the side in an red knit toboggan with an A on the front. The announcers say something about it and then as they cut away, "Roll Tide!" The Tide's reach even goes to Scotland!!!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
OK -- I am going to give this one more try: Friday am the Ryder Cup kicks off a little after 7:00am CDT This is being played at Whistling Straits, Kohler, Wisconsin.

If you want to discuss this for the next 3 days, then just reply to this thread...I'll check and respond. This really is a big deal as we have had our hats handed to us more often than not over the last 20 years.

USA!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.