Golf

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
JT and Spieth teaming up to get it started tomorrow. Sergio and Rahm provide the competition for the Europeans. I'm looking forward to watching that match.

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: Padreruf

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It hasn't been a day to remember for JT. As mentioned, he and Spieth lost their morning match and he's paired with Patrick Cantlay in the afternoon 4-ball and they are currently 1-down thru 12. Still plenty of holes to turn it around.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
A better afternoon for Justin, he made a few big shots and still missed a couple of putts that could have resulted in a win instead of a tie. Still, 6-2 is the best start for USA since, I think they said, 1975.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
A better afternoon for Justin, he made a few big shots and still missed a couple of putts that could have resulted in a win instead of a tie. Still, 6-2 is the best start for USA since, I think they said, 1975.
Justin turned it around...and then hit a lousy putt on 18. I'm sorry, but a clutch player gets that ball to the hole. Cantlay had par sewed up.

The USA played their best day in decades...they were determined, focused, and generally putted really, really well. The "new guard" is seemingly better than the previous guard. Tomorrow is a big day...if we can win 2 matches per session we will be in a great place going in to Sunday. I think we are hungry enough for a win to keep pushing. I'm also glad the day's matches will be over before the Bama game.

Reactions: edwd58

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If Thomas and/or Spieth could hit a fairway they'd be in better shape and likely in position to win this match.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
USA rallied to win the morning session 3-1 and take a 9-3 advantage into the afternoon. Currently the Europeans are leading 3-1 with all three of their leads just 1-up. Still time to turn any one of those around.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
USA rallied and earned a split in the afternoon session and leads 11-5 going into the singles matches tomorrow. Only 3.5 points are needed to win the cup.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
USA rallied and earned a split in the afternoon session and leads 11-5 going into the singles matches tomorrow. Only 3.5 points are needed to win the cup.
Hard to believe...we came back to wipe out their lead in the afternoon. If Jordan Spieth could make a putt they would have easily won their match. Looking forward to tomorrow...we may get blitzed...but I doubt it. There are some US guys on a mission...DJ has been the backbone of the USA team...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Sorry for the late reply...I've been on the road today. What a great win by the US. We've turned our Ryder Cup team completely around...a bunch of younger golfers who play to win...led by Justin Thomas as their emotional leader and Dustin Johnson as their best player. Scottie Scheffler taking out world #1 John Rahm...incredible. Birdied 5 of the first 6 holes...USA all the way...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
On signing day 2021 UA golf signed 2 of the highest ranked players:

Nick Dunlap -- ranked #1 in US Junior rankings. Great game...his resume is outstanding and he will make an immediate impact.

Jonathan Griz -- #14...had been #1 in AJGA but started playing amateur and not junior events. He won the SC State Amateur @ 16...I know his Dad and this young man has all the tools to be the next Justin Thomas.

FYI: Men's collegiate golf is more competitive and deeper than ever. There are more good to great players, trained better than in previous years. The SEC is the powerhouse of Men's Golf -- and with UTx and OU coming in will only get stronger...exponentially stronger.

• Thank You
Reactions: TexasBama

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Lots going on in the Golf World...

1. LIV golf field includes some big names, Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Talor Gooch...but the biggest is Dustin Johnson. I don't know what any of us would do if offered 150 million (rumored) to play about 21 , 3 round events over the next 3 years. Lots of time at home and money in the bank...

2. NCAA Men's D1 Golf Championships @ Greyhawk in Scottsdale: Gordon Sargent won the individual in a 4 man play off. He is a freshman at Vandy and is from the highly praised and massive junior golf program at the Country Club of Birmingham. I don't know how Jay Seawell let him get away...

3. Only 2 teams from east of the Mississippi made the 8 team play off. Of the 7 SEC teams in the Championship, only Vandy made it to the top 8 for match play.

This is the 2nd straight year that the men's and women's championships were held there in back to back weeks. Once they rotated this tourney throughout the country. I can imagine that the eastern schools are raising Cain...

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
2. NCAA Men's D1 Golf Championships @ Greyhawk in Scottsdale: Gordon Sargent won the individual in a 4 man play off. He is a freshman at Vandy and is from the highly praised and massive junior golf program at the Country Club of Birmingham. I don't know how Jay Seawell let him get away...
Is Gordon's dad Bowen Sargent?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Lots going on in the Golf World...

1. LIV golf field includes some big names, Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Talor Gooch...but the biggest is Dustin Johnson. I don't know what any of us would do if offered 150 million (rumored) to play about 21 , 3 round events over the next 3 years. Lots of time at home and money in the bank...
I know exactly what I'd do if that money was guaranteed. ☀🏌️‍♂️

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I know exactly what I'd do if that money was guaranteed. ☀🏌️‍♂️
on the surface, it sounds good. But if it comes with a lifetime PGA ban and loss of sponsors, is it worth it in the long run? I mean I guess. But what about competition? Winning an event or title against watered down competition doesn’t mean as much. It does sound appealing to bank $100 mil and only play 7 events. I hear players saying it gives them more time for family, something they don’t have with the PGA tour. But then the same players say they want to play the PGA tour as well, so who knows.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
on the surface, it sounds good. But if it comes with a lifetime PGA ban and loss of sponsors, is it worth it in the long run? I mean I guess. But what about competition? Winning an event or title against watered down competition doesn’t mean as much. It does sound appealing to bank $100 mil and only play 7 events. I hear players saying it gives them more time for family, something they don’t have with the PGA tour. But then the same players say they want to play the PGA tour as well, so who knows.
Colt Knost (former PGA tour player and now commentator on CBS) said on Sirius PGA Radio: "Rich people want more money." I get it...they move into the stratosphere with private jets, etc., and don't wish to leave that lifestyle. Don't we all? I grew up in the South without air conditioning in our cars...not any more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.