Golf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
There is no chance I'd take the Saudi's money, period. Guarantee or not. I rather die broke than take the Saudi's money.
I agree...but you have to understand that many of these players are like Talor Gooch who played at OK State. He said, "I don't understand politics; I just hit a small ball into a small hole and get paid for it." (Rory may be the most educated of all and he did not go to college.)
Or, they could have the view of many politicians: there's no such thing as "dirty" money.
The times they are a-changing -- all over the sports world -- and only the future will tell us if it is for the good or not.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
All the players going to the LIV have officially been suspended by the PGA.

Sorry Padre, there is no justification for selling your soul to a regime with severe human rights violations on their resume. If you can't make money on the PGA (or their PGA European Tour) then you are probably not good enough to continue to play pro golf.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I agree...but you have to understand that many of these players are like Talor Gooch who played at OK State. He said, "I don't understand politics; I just hit a small ball into a small hole and get paid for it." (Rory may be the most educated of all and he did not go to college.)
Or, they could have the view of many politicians: there's no such thing as "dirty" money.
The times they are a-changing -- all over the sports world -- and only the future will tell us if it is for the good or not.
It’s like taking money from Satan. The Royal Family are MINO- they don’t practice anything their “faith” teaches. They rule by bribery; ignorant people don’t care where the money comes from when it’s given to them.
Rory is 100% correct; decisions made solely on money (and please, DJ wasn’t worried about being able to feed his kids) and it’s acquisition seldom turn out the way one expects.
You sell cars for Ford; think your boss will be OK with you moonlighting as a Chevy salesman?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Notes on US Open:
1. Colin Morikawa leads at -5. Cut is +3 (146) which is the lowest in US Open history.)
2. The course is playing tough...requiring ball control and not length for the most part. It is beautifully groomed and an historic layout.
3. Lots of rumors about players who are going to LIV after this tournament...I'll not share these. Some have denied it...seems that it's hard to walk away from 50-100 million.
4. The big question about that is whether these can get OWGR points for their 54 hole tournaments -- current requirement is 72 hole by a sanctioned tour. If they cannot get these then their days of playing in majors will run out in at most 3 years or so.
5. NBC is greedy -- trying to push viewers to sign up for Peacock rather than show all on The Golf Channel -- which they own -- or NBC. I've about had it with them...

Reactions: UAH

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Notes on US Open:
...seems that it's hard to walk away from 50-100 million.
Of course it is, regardless of where the money is coming from.

5. NBC is greedy -- trying to push viewers to sign up for Peacock rather than show all on The Golf Channel -- which they own -- or NBC. I've about had it with them...
The money grabs by the networks and their streaming services is getting ridiculous. CBS seems to be doing the same with Paramount Plus.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Matthew Fitzpatrick wins the US Open -- great win for a fantastic player from Sheffield, England. It's a steel production town and he's not a silver spoon kid. He hit 17/18 greens in regulation...unheard of on a tight course like this. He also worked hard over the last 4-5 years to gain up to 40 yards in driving distance. Very humble and soft-spoken...quite the antithesis of the image of a professional golfer. The last round was a spectacular battle between 5 golfers -- something LIV golf will not have as they only play 54 holes in a shotgun start.
Tough loss for Will Zalatoris...he's now finished 2nd in 4 majors...1 stroke back. Classy guy as well...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
He really held together over the last few holes. I was happy to see him win. He may be my new favorite pro golfer, or at least in the top 5.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I know the PGA would disagree, but this type of drama in pro golf really isn't a bad thing for the sport overall.

It sounds worse than it is....you have 2 players in the top 25 -- DJ and Koepka -- both of whom are sliding downhill and really don't want to put in all the work to keep up with the new kids week in and week out. Otherwise you have the "over the hill gang" who rarely threaten to win on the PGA Tour. There are some decent younger players -- they are trading future earnings and legacy for money today. Word is that Talor Gooch is already regretting his decision.

There will be more...but as long as they are not top 10 or 15 players, it will not matter. The PGA Tour will step up and figure out a way to pay players more...they are sitting on a billion dollars in the bank.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Great Open...Cam Smith has an incredible short game...his hands are fantastic.

BTW, 2 UA alum are really trending up on the PGA Tour: Davis Riley and Trey Mullinax. Riley has not won, but has numerous top 10's and is trending well... Mullinax is 30 and has persevered to where he won this year and then made an overnight trip to St. Andrews where he played in the Open. Made the cut on the number and then played his way into a tie for 21st. Combine them with JT and Bama is well represented on the tour...there was even a Michael Thompson showing last week!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.