Question: Is it time to change punters?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Further on to "saving it," an interesting passage from an article when the current Alabama
punter originally committed to UcheatT:
Orignally posted by Rock Hill (Tenn.) Herald

DeLong’s Tennessee offer is for punting and kickoffs, indicative of his lively right leg. He’s working on perfecting his Aussie-style punt, but feels confident that the rest of his skills will be ready for the SEC.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I've thought the same thing.
I don't care if the best punter is a QB, or a big burly Linebacker.
I just want someone/anyone who can kick 40 yards.
Maybe someone like Lia could add an additional threat.
Will he pass, or will he kick??
Has anyone seen Tua, or Lia kick?
I know this was a while back, but have been reading this whole thread to see what you folks think our options might be.

Actually, Lia punted quite a lot at Thompson, I’d estimate 18-20 times, and had some good bounces here and there. A lot of times that was because teams were wondering what we were doing, and the return wasn’t on. But he has a good leg.

As many have said, it wouldn’t be worse. And, the resulting confusion might help us steal a possession.

Wondering what the 4-game/RS plan is for him and Tyson, though...

It’ll never happen, but fun to speculate...

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Actually, Lia punted quite a lot at Thompson, I’d estimate 18-20 times, and had some good bounces here and there. A lot of times that was because teams were wondering what we were doing, and the return wasn’t on. But he has a good leg.
When Danny White was the QB for Dallas back in the '80's he used to punt for them. The defense certainly had to be prepared for a fake at any time.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I actually don't feel bad for the kid. Kick the stupid ball up in the air and jog off the field. I get it - it's disappointing to him to have practiced for all those years only to straight choke every second of the microbial amount of time he's on the field. I'm sure he feels horrible. But - he should. It's tricky - but not THAT difficult. I kicked for a long time, and it's just not difficult. If you can't punt a decent ball late in the 3rd quarter against, like, New Mexico State, or whatever when the game is well out of hand, there is no situation in which you ever will. If that moment is too big, then all of them are and it's time to give way to someone else. Get your free degree in sports medicine or whatever and go settle down in Vermont at a rehab clinic with a nice family of 4. Nothing against the kid as a person, but the ball field isn't a great place for charity.

I feel worse for the other guys who have to put undue stress on their bodies to try to cover up for kicking blunders, and that extends beyond the punting game.

I'm sure some will think me cold but I think pitying the kid is worse. He's probably extremely excellent at other things and needs to be re-directed there as of 10 months ago.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Did the walk on kicker even make the trip? I didn't see anybody out there warming up but DeLong.

I don't know how obvoius is was on his second punt from a TV viewing perspective, but from my endzone viewing perspective, he kicked that ball 20 yards out of bounds. Bama fans just let out a loud groan.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
If DeLong comes back out again then I think the answer is that Saban isnt going to change unless its Reichard. There must be a reason he hasnt put one of the walk ons in. But his reaction to one of those punts Saturday was....less than pleased obviously.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Being from Prattville I've seen Perine handle all the kicking duties. He has a strong leg (soccer player too) and I've seen him flip the field many a time. I wouldn't have a worry if I saw him in the formation.
I just read an article about him yesterday on one of the other Bama sites (I will have to go back and find it, can't remember which site) that I was browsing. He seems like he would be a great choice to try vs TN tomorrow. He can kick far, is strong, is fast, played safety some in high school, and can throw.

It said he turned down a scholarship to a smaller school to be a walk on at Bama. Hopefully, Saban will give him a chance !

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Being from Prattville I've seen Perine handle all the kicking duties. He has a strong leg (soccer player too) and I've seen him flip the field many a time. I wouldn't have a worry if I saw him in the formation.
At this point, I don't think I'd have a worry with any crimson jersey back there in the formation.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If DeLong comes back out again then I think the answer is that Saban isnt going to change unless its Reichard. There must be a reason he hasnt put one of the walk ons in. But his reaction to one of those punts Saturday was....less than pleased obviously.
I think you're right. My hope is that somebody else gets a chance.

Nobody knows for sure on Perine, but the book on him is that he's inconsistent. So we have a choice of consistently bad vs. inconsistent with Perine, or maybe consistently mediocre with Bernier.

I don't think we see Reichard again until LSU. Saban would never say this, but we should be able to beat UTe and Arkansas without much of a kicking game. Then there's the off week. That's three more weeks for him to recover from an injury that can linger, or even recur in full, if you try to come back too early. A total of 8 weeks since it happened.

If we don't see him against LSU, I don't know when it would happen.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last year you went 14-0 without a kicking game, and the kicking game isn't what hurt you against Clemson. You could win without even attempting a punt or kick against your next two opponents (aside from kickoffs). After that, you will need everyone contributing.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Sorry, but this dude should have been punting for a while now. I know I don't get paid millions of dollars, but how in the world has that decision taken that long?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Sorry, but this dude should have been punting for a while now. I know I don't get paid millions of dollars, but how in the world has that decision taken that long?
One of the reports on him said that he struggled with consistency. I have to assume it was a pretty big concern not to make the move, but at this point unless he gets blocked every few punts not sure there's much to lose.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.