Issues/Questions Related to CFP Rankings

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
My issue isn't even with Oregon although I do have an issue with them being above Texas. My issue is FSU.

FSU has no business in the playoffs even with Jordan Travis. But without him it's even more stark.
The fan base that has every right to be mad is Texas. I don’t get having Oregon over them. Just makes no sense at all. When this whole thing started, it was clear or made clear that scheduling tough opponents would be rewarded or not be punitive within reason. That’s clearly not the case. If you schedule pushovers and are undefeated you are in over a tough schedule with one loss. This group is going by eye test almost exclusively when it comes to Oregon.

Reactions: colbysullivan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have a problem with metrics pointing to UT and Alabama being better than the Ducks and they are arbitrarily left ahead of both teams. There will be no outcry even when Alabama beats UGA. The committee gave us a 65-3 final last year and none of the talking heads or networks have said they missed the mark.
Why would they?

TCU beat Michigan, a fact that keeps getting overlooked by everyone saying, "They picked the wrong team."

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
While I agree with a lot of your points, I'm not sure I follow you on the quote below. You seem to be contradicting yourself.
I was pointing out that Bama has beaten more ranked teams than OSU. The teams they beat were ranked higher than our wins but we had more quality wins and an overall harder schedule…

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
It seems clear to me that one of our best traditional arguments -- running the gauntlet of an SEC schedule -- has been undermined this year by the ho-hum performance of the conference. Normally, we would reach this point in the season having played and beaten a host of Top 10 schools. Not this time. What's our best win on the road: Kentucky? A&M? Auburn? Ole Miss is a sham, and so is Tennessee. LSU has half a roster. This year, even with a win over Georgia, we can't convincingly make the case that we are the best team in THE BEST conference when there only 3 1/2 to 4 decent teams.
I’ll give you that…. But I’ll also still question what has the PAC 12 done to prove itself as the better conference this season in comparison to the SEC? I think the SEC went 2-0 against the PAC 12 this year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It's not that the PAC 12 has shown itself to be better, it's that the SEC has done the impossible and eliminated whatever cushion it traditionally had. Normally, our going 8-0 against an SEC schedule would be a significant trampoline. Not so much this year.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Yep!

We can complain about the committee but the bottom line is not only did we lose but we sucked in about half of the wins.

If we take off our Crimson colored glasses and look at this team I'm not sure how we feel we should be ranked much higher right now.

We beat Georgia and the narrative changes a little, but probably not unless Texas and/or FSU lose.
Maybe, maybe not…..While we did struggle out of the gate; so did the current #1 team in the country, who was also breaking in a new starting QB. The major difference is that UGA was playing Ball State in week two while we were playing Texas. I think UGA probably loses against Texas if they played them at the same point in the season as we did. But that is admittedly very subjective on my part.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was just looking at odds for teams making the playoff and noticed that Michigan had been taken off the board. I realize that it is highly unlikely that Iowa will beat Michigan, but what if they did? Would this committee dare to leave out the Big completely. I don't see how they couldn't if there were a lot of undefeated or one loss conference champions. The Big would have two pretty good one loss teams, but neither of them would have a championship. Anyway, I just thought it would be something different to discuss since we have discussed 85 other scenarios.
Let's just say the SEC will either have an undefeated UGA or a one loss Bama.
The ACC could have undefeated FSU.
The Pac will have either undefeated Washington or one loss Oregon.
The Big 12 could have a one loss Texas.

Bama, FSU, Washington, Texas

That would be my preference if Iowa were to win. I'm sick of hearing about Oregon, so I would love it if Washington beat them again. I'm not really fond of FSU or Texas, but if they finish 13-0 and 12-1 with conference championships, I'd say they deserve to be in over OSU or Michigan. OSU and Michigan seem to get some sort of bump each year that I never can understand, but they lose when they reach the playoffs. I think it has been nine years since the Big 10 actually won a playoff game. Now, with that said, if Michigan wins as expected, I definitely think they deserve to be in the playoff. In fact, I would love it if we beat UGA and got the number four spot and played Michigan first.

Bama v Michigan
Washington V Texas

I could see that happening with an FSU loss and Bama, Washington, and Texas wins.
I just thought I would throw some hypothetical scenarios into the mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifer

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I was just looking at odds for teams making the playoff and noticed that Michigan had been taken off the board. I realize that it is highly unlikely that Iowa will beat Michigan, but what if they did? Would this committee dare to leave out the Big completely. I don't see how they couldn't if there were a lot of undefeated or one loss conference champions. The Big would have two pretty good one loss teams, but neither of them would have a championship. Anyway, I just thought it would be something different to discuss since we have discussed 85 other scenarios.

That would be my preference if Iowa were to win. I'm sick of hearing about Oregon, so I would love it if Washington beat them again. I'm not really fond of FSU or Texas, but if they finish 13-0 and 12-1 with conference championships, I'd say they deserve to be in over OSU or Michigan. OSU and Michigan seem to get some sort of bump each year that I never can understand, but they lose when they reach the playoffs. I think it has been nine years since the Big 10 actually won a playoff game. Now, with that said, if Michigan wins as expected, I definitely think they deserve to be in the playoff. In fact, I would love it if we beat UGA and got the number four spot and played Michigan first.

Bama v Michigan
Washington V Texas

I could see that happening with an FSU loss and Bama, Washington, and Texas wins.
There’s also scenarios where we beat Georgia and they get in and we don’t.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not going to pretend like I have any idea what this committee will do. I'm going to root for Washington, Louisville and Ok State though because I do think each of those teams winning is best for our chances IF we beat Georgia.

If we lose to Georgia I'll regret some of that because I think Oregon has a better shot of beating Georgia than Washington.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I really hate that this whole thing was essentially decided in week 2. If the CFP had come out then, it wouldn't look substantially different than it does today, in week 13.

What we are really dealing with is just how few upsets, or parity, whichever, that exists in the other conferences. Even our own, the SEC, has Alabama and Georgia, 2- 2 loss teams in Mizz and Ole Miss, and everyone else. Big Ten is Michigan/Ohio state, this Iowa team that scores an average of 18 pts per game, and everyone else. Pac 12 is it's usual self, with a disappointing USC/Utah combo, and Washington and Oregon. Big 12 is a bona fide mess, with only Texas showing any sign of life. That two games Oklahoma lost were absolutely non-sensical. I mean, they lost Bedlam to a team who had been BLOWN OUT by a .500 UCF team.

And none of those top teams in the current CFP ranking have been upset at all.

Chaos usually comes at some point. We haven't seen it at all this year. Texas going down would be chaos, but unlikely. Iowa couldn't beat Michigan if they put 22 players on the field instead of 11. And, honestly, as much as I don't want to say it, we just don't perform at the level Georgia does, week to week, play to play. They are a level higher.

It's gonna be UGA, Michigan, Oregon or Washingon, and Florida State. If not FSU, then most likely Texas.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I'm not going to pretend like I have any idea what this committee will do. I'm going to root for Washington, Louisville and Ok State though because I do think each of those teams winning is best for our chances IF we beat Georgia.

If we lose to Georgia I'll regret some of that because I think Oregon has a better shot of beating Georgia than Washington.
I'd like to see that chaos, because that's likely the only way we get in, and we still have to beat Georgia, which goes without saying. Louisville seems like the most likely winner. OK State is so spastic, they might lose 70-0 or win by a td. Washington/Oregon is a toss up, to me. It'll likely be the best game of the season in all of CFB.

Reactions: B1GTide

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL

I think Bo Nix will play the same way he has played the last two times he has played against Georgia, if it comes to that. He will sux for the third time and get beat. JMO

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Bama v Michigan
Washington V Texas

Michigan is about as much of a lock as there is with this group. Don’t see any way they get left out win or lose regardless of what happens with anyone else right now. Personally I think if that were to happen and we beat UGA in a close game then UGA should get in over Michigan (assuming we get in first)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads