It's immoral to schedule Clemson versus Citadel

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There are many reasons these games shouldn't be played, but morality isn't one of them. No one is forcing The Citadel to play Clemson. This is a choice they made, and they were compensated for it, and it has paid for the budget for their entire athletic department for this fiscal year. I'll guarantee you all of the FCS and Sun Belt teams that lost their games against the SEC wishes they could have played them.

By the way, it's as much a risk for an Alabama to play these types of games than it is for the FCS team. Often times these teams come into these games with a huge chip on their shoulders, wanting to shock the world, and the home team enters the game relaxed because they know they can't lose, and injuries ensue for the team that didn't take the game seriously.

I get discontinuing these games because of fan interest, schedule competitiveness, or tv ratings. But morality is a bit much for me.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
DogPatch, you do know that the AD does the schedule right? I take the Coach at his word. He would rather have a 10 game season--all competitive games--with some bye weeks to rest and heal players--than a 14 game season. No one with any class relishes beating up on Mercer or Citadel. Alabama could put up 100+ points on these schools. Clemson was up 49-0 at the half and stopped scoring. Why? It's called good sportsmanship.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
DogPatch, you do know that the AD does the schedule right? I take the Coach at his word. He would rather have a 10 game season--all competitive games--with some bye weeks to rest and heal players--than a 14 game season. No one with any class relishes beating up on Mercer or Citadel. Alabama could put up 100+ points on these schools. Clemson was up 49-0 at the half and stopped scoring. Why? It's called good sportsmanship.
Class has nothing to do with it. It's Economics.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
There are many reasons these games shouldn't be played, but morality isn't one of them. No one is forcing The Citadel to play Clemson. This is a choice they made, and they were compensated for it, and it has paid for the budget for their entire athletic department for this fiscal year. I'll guarantee you all of the FCS and Sun Belt teams that lost their games against the SEC wishes they could have played them.

By the way, it's as much a risk for an Alabama to play these types of games than it is for the FCS team. Often times these teams come into these games with a huge chip on their shoulders, wanting to shock the world, and the home team enters the game relaxed because they know they can't lose, and injuries ensue for the team that didn't take the game seriously.

I get discontinuing these games because of fan interest, schedule competitiveness, or tv ratings. But morality is a bit much for me.
Citadel and the like are not forced to schedule powerhouses, they do it for the money. The million or two million dollar payouts. The payouts go largely towards supporting the school and non-revenue sports, right? The players get the pain but not proportionate gain. The players ARE actually forced into playing because they are on the team and part of being on a team is playing all the games. Do they look forward to the limelight? Yes, mostly they do. But as we have all been saying for weeks, 17 to 21 year old men are not exactly known for caution or good judgement. It is up to adults to protect them. Adults for whom "morality is a bit much" are probably not the ethical authority figures young men need. Coach Saban, on the other hand, is an ethical coach and he agrees these farcical games should not be played. Powerhouse ADs schedule these small schools because they are an easy win and if you can't have an actual week off, it is safer to play a Mercer than to play another tough game. To make the BCS semi-finals you need a gaudy record so if you are Clemson or 'Bama or tOSU you get yourself a gaudy record and spare your troops as best you can.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Citadel and the like are not forced to schedule powerhouses, they do it for the money. The million or two million dollar payouts. The payouts go largely towards supporting the school and non-revenue sports, right? The players get the pain but not proportionate gain. The players ARE actually forced into playing because they are on the team and part of being on a team is playing all the games. Do they look forward to the limelight? Yes, mostly they do. But as we have all been saying for weeks, 17 to 21 year old men are not exactly known for caution or good judgement. It is up to adults to protect them. Adults for whom "morality is a bit much" are probably not the ethical authority figures young men need. Coach Saban, on the other hand, is an ethical coach and he agrees these farcical games should not be played. Powerhouse ADs schedule these small schools because they are an easy win and if you can't have an actual week off, it is safer to play a Mercer than to play another tough game. To make the BCS semi-finals you need a gaudy record so if you are Clemson or 'Bama or tOSU you get yourself a gaudy record and spare your troops as best you can.
You are not living in reality.

These kinds of games are a function of every single level of football outside of the NFL.

No one forced a single player for Citadel to accept their scholarship to play or to walk on to the team. Not a single one.

Spare me the pearl clutching.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If teams like Clemson and Bama didn't pay for easy wins against teams like Citadel, there's a good chance schools like the Citadel couldn't offer the sports scholarships they do.

I don't care for cupcake games anymore than you do, but acting like they're immoral is silly - there's a LOT of good that happens due to those games. And if you don't think decisions are made at every school in order to fund the 'lesser sports' then you've forgotten about Title IX.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This is the kind of game that they know they cannot win, but still look forward to more than any other on their schedule. It is as if you believe that these players are being forced into this. It is quite the opposite. They wouldn't miss the opportunity - unless they were not allowed to have it by those who do not think they are worthy.
This was an opportunity for them to play a Power 5 School, and be seen on TV. Not to mention all the money they will get for taking their butt whipping.
I got to congratulate Dabo for not running up the score like he could have.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is the kind of game that they know they cannot win, but still look forward to more than any other on their schedule. It is as if you believe that these players are being forced into this. It is quite the opposite. They wouldn't miss the opportunity - unless they were not allowed to have it by those who do not think they are worthy.
I'd rather the university just write them a check and our team take the weekend off. It's nothing more than a charity game which in many cases has derailed the rest of our year with major, unnecessary injuries. The other team plays the game with a mindset of "We have nothing to lose" and plays like it, while our team plays not to get hurt while also trying to win. Which is a "wonderful" recipe for injuries to happen.

Reactions: The Ols

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd rather the university just write them a check and our team take the weekend off. It's nothing more than a charity game which in many cases has derailed the rest of our year with major, unnecessary injuries. The other team plays the game with a mindset of "We have nothing to lose" and plays like it, while our team plays not to get hurt while also trying to win. Which is a "wonderful" recipe for injuries to happen.
I am fine with this opinion - it is the interjection of morality into the discussion that I question.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Such games are a symbiotic relationship. The small school has a way to fund multiple athletic programs and the big school can get a break during a tough season and give their subs some meaningful playing time. To me the best part about these games is the fact that the small school is able to give scholarships to the players who were not recruited by big schools and have a chance to earn a degree.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
It would be nice if every week in college football was a battle of the giants. No Citadel, New Mexico State, Buffalo, Tennessee Tech, Townson, etc. But....you really find out fast why the scheduling is the way that it is, once you no longer have a Northeastern Maine Technical Junior College on the schedule to slap around. There aren't any of those games in the SEC this year, ONLY because of these "unprecedented times". I am hoping that next season is NOT another conference only year, although, sadly, it's looking that way. We are supposed to open with Miami. I would really hate to see that one go away forever. Not to mention, we have some awesome home and homes coming up over the next decade. I want to see my Tide run the short horns out of Austin and Tuscaloosa, but that isn't going to happen if we are restricted to conference only from now on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.