Link: Jalen Milroe Working on His Throwing Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm anxious to see how JM progresses with some actual coaching this year. I'm also anxious to see our talent at RB. We'll see some new guys playing that position. And I'm anxious to see how our OL develops. I'm hoping to see a leaner, quicker OL - if not this spring, then certainly in the fall.

I'm not sure we'll learn a lot about our offense this spring since we're implementing a new offense and philosophy. But we should have a hint of what things will look like in the fall.

RTR!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
You should have seen the messages I’ve gotten from dozens of people (not on this board) calling me a racist for having the audacity to criticize Milroe. It is NOT baloney, it’s real. Stick your head in the sand if you wish.
With all due respect, those responses are lame too.

But those dumb attitudes don't appear to have dampened your willingness to honestly share your thoughts on Milroe. And there are plenty of other people sharing similar thoughts about him.

But it's just as lame to say that people who don't criticize Milroe are doing so because they're afraid of being called names.

It's entirely possible to simply believe he's not as inept at the position as others say, with race having nothing to do with anything.

I think Milroe has a lot of improvement to make as a QB...a whole lot, but I also don't view him as some kind of lost cause either.

And none of that has to do with anything other than him as a player.

I still don't buy that people aren't criticizing him out of fear of being called names...maybe some, but I don't think that's a huge motivation to say or not say something in the greater scheme of things.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

But those dumb attitudes don't appear to have dampened your willingness to honestly share your thoughts on Milroe. And there are plenty of other people sharing similar thoughts about him.

But it's just as lame to say that people who don't criticize Milroe are doing so because they're afraid of being called names.

It's entirely possible to simply believe he's not as inept at the position as others say, with race having nothing to do with anything.

I think Milroe has a lot of improvement to make as a QB...a whole lot, but I also don't view him as some kind of lost cause either.

I still don't buy that people aren't criticizing him out of fear of being called names...maybe some, but I don't think that's a huge motivation to say or not say something in the greater scheme of things.
I never said it was everyone but there are definitely people who have not said anything for fear of being labeled racist. I know this because I also got tons of messages from people supporting my opinion, but they didn’t say anything publicly because they didn’t want to deal with the hate mail so to speak. Again, I’m not making this up…these aren’t theories. It’s real.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019

An example that wasn't so hidden, but maybe not seen by many here.....the YouTube channel, The Bama Standard, that regularly had former players on.....it was basically stated on there a few times that it was a race issue if you didn't want Milroe as QB. That was early last season, when there were still questions about who was going to start.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
An example that wasn't so hidden, but maybe not seen by many here.....the YouTube channel, The Bama Standard, that regularly had former players on.....it was basically stated on there a few times that it was a race issue if you didn't want Milroe as QB. That was early last season, when there were still questions about who was going to start.
I remember that being discussed. It was a real issue.

Kinda blew my mind considering 3 or the last 4 starters before last year had been black.

I think there was another element to it too, though. The questions about JM are about his inability to make quick decisions OR see the field, which some may interpret to mean some are saying he's not intelligent.

By all accounts, he seems very intelligent, but I wonder if that's also part of the hesitancy (by some) to question his on field play. Being a QB is more than just raw skills, as we know.

FWIW, I think the proper response has been just because he can't make quick decisions as a QB doesn't mean he's NOT intelligent. Brain surgeons and rocket scientists don't do their work in 2-3 second slots like QBs. It take a very unique person to be able to play the position, and some who have done it very, very well probably weren't super intelligent either.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Kinda blew my mind considering 3 or the last 4 starters before last year had been black.

I think there was another element to it too, though. The questions about JM are about his inability to make quick decisions OR see the field, which some may interpret to mean some are saying he's not intelligent.

By all accounts, he seems very intelligent, but I wonder if that's also part of the hesitancy (by some) to question his on field play. Being a QB is more than just raw skills, as we know.

FWIW, I think the proper response has been just because he can't make quick decisions as a QB doesn't mean he's NOT intelligent. Brain surgeons and rocket scientists don't do their work in 2-3 second slots like QBs. It take a very unique person to be able to play the position, and some who have done it very, very well probably weren't super intelligent either.
You’re correct, if the human race wasn’t horrible. I basically said the exact thing about Milroe on social media and got absolutely ROASTED for it.

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
The sole reason I don’t watch that YouTube channel anymore. Why would I want to spend my time watching people that are going to call me racist because I don’t like the same QB they do. It’s a merit less accusation and just an easy way for them to write people off as not having a valid opinion.

Reactions: TD7

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The sole reason I don’t watch that YouTube channel anymore. Why would I want to spend my time watching people that are going to call me racist because I don’t like the same QB they do. It’s a merit less accusation and just an easy way for them to write people off as not having a valid opinion.
Exactly, I stopped watching it simply because of what was being said about this issue. It had always been a fun channel to watch during the season, at least sometimes. I don't bother with it anymore.

You're point is exactly right, it became a way for them to just shrug off people that had a different opinion about Milroe.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Look I'm pretty far from a Milroe Stan. I think there is a very good chance he loses the job this year. I do think he could be a very good college QB but still I would hardly call myself a big Milroe guy.

But calling him "not a QB" is so completely absurd at this point. If he's not a QB what does that say about Lonergan and Ty? They must not even be football players at all if Milroe is "not a QB"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The reality of it is that football is still a team sport. You lose and win as a team. Michigan and Georgia were by far the best teams in the country and Alabama was either 3rd or 4th.

However Milroe has generated a polarizing response by the fans in that either he can’t be criticized at all and is the reason that we won a SECCG or he is the reason that we lost 2 games. The cold hard truth is that he was an average quarterback that was afraid to make mistakes and it just wasn’t enough to win a championship. I’m not blaming him for losing to Michigan or Texas… I got CNS and the staff to blame for the lionshare in both. But at the same time we can’t pretend that we lost because of every reason BUT Milroe either.

We have a center that can’t snap the ball… Mahomes did too but where are his excuses.

Milroe doesn’t have a dominant receiver … Well neither did Michigan.

Milroe isn’t given any favors by the offensive line… Well neither did 90% of quarterbacks ever when facing a dominant defensive line.

My overall point is the excuse making for Milroe is just as comical and shortsighted as the blame making he gets for losing us the ball games. The guy is a decent to average quarterback and we had a team good enough to win 12 games and the SEC with him.
Any QB issues ultimately need to fall at the feet of the coaching staff. I think we've pointed it out but the issues we saw had to exist in the offseason during competitive practices and scrimmages. There's just no way everything was going fine then that crap show of an offense caught them all by surprise at the first part of the season. The staff had to know and for whatever reason thought it would iron itself out by just pushing through and unfortunately it didn't. Milroe progressed but unfortunately progressed within an exaggerated scaled-back offense that probably got more mileage out of it than we should. We were highly fortunate we did as well as we did.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Exactly. Saying Milroe can’t process the information quickly enough to play quarterback at the upper D1/NFL puts him in roughly 98% of the rest of the population.

People want to be mad though.

Reactions: Superdad

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

The unofficial Assistant coaches youtube channel addressed this also. They pretty much came right out and said that some tried to make it off limits to criticize JMs play only because of his race.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I saw a rating this weekend that had Milroe rated as the number 4 QB in the country for this upcoming season. What the heck do I know about it? It appears to me that he is 99% likely to be Alabama's starter this year. It is difficult for me to understand why TS is still at Alabama.

We will certainly know more after this coming season but it does appear to me that the two top teams in college football will be located in Athens and Austin for some time to come!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw a rating this weekend that had Milroe rated as the number 4 QB in the country for this upcoming season. What the heck do I know about it? It appears to me that he is 99% likely to be Alabama's starter this year. It is difficult for me to understand why TS is still at Alabama.

We will certainly know more after this coming season but it does appear to me that the two top teams in college football will be located in Athens and Austin for some time to come!
Don't forget little ole Alabama.

I'm interested to see how Texas and OU adjust to the big time.

Reactions: BamaDenver

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Look I'm pretty far from a Milroe Stan. I think there is a very good chance he loses the job this year. I do think he could be a very good college QB but still I would hardly call myself a big Milroe guy.

But calling him "not a QB" is so completely absurd at this point. If he's not a QB what does that say about Lonergan and Ty? They must not even be football players at all if Milroe is "not a QB"
Me as well and you make a great point. Not all those social media responses were calling out race. Some did not agree with "not a QB" and "you must be blind if you think he is" and some on here have this same viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads