Josh Pate video on Tommy Rees

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think Pate said something that we actually discussed on here several years ago shortly after Saban decided to change the type (size) of defensive players he recruited for the front seven to combat the fast pace offenses. That at some point, the defensive college landscape would be ripe for switching back to a more physical, ground-and-pound offense, to take advantage of the smaller (but faster) defenses.

Pate seems to believe this is exactly what UGA has done yet still has kept a balance of the "new stuff" (RPO's, tempo, etc.) in place and wonders if this is what Alabama and Nick Saban are about to do as well and Rees fits more of that mold of being able to do that.

Pate also makes it clear that the information about what happened with Grubb is pure speculation and not much was actually "reported", just mainly "alleged", and in the journalism world there is a big difference between "reported" and "alleged". In other words, as many have said on here, the Grubb to Alabama may have never reached seriousness and there was more "alleged" news than "reported" as with Rees.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It’s why I don’t like Pate as much as people here do. He acts like he knows more than he does
I fully understand the need for maintaining a level of protection for the people who tell you information you shouldn’t know. I don’t understand acting like a ten year old about it. Especially in this instance where it most likely will never be revealed who else he spoke to, if anyone.

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
I tend to think Pate mentions those things as a way to differentiate himself from the "others" who either blab everything they here or report unverified things as facts. It may not be the best way to do that, but I don't tend to think he is playing I have a secret. He is very careful during his reports to verify with the viewer things that he has heard or rumors vs verfied reporting.

Reactions: dathbama

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I fully understand the need for maintaining a level of protection for the people who tell you information you shouldn’t know. I don’t understand acting like a ten year old about it. Especially in this instance where it most likely will never be revealed who else he spoke to, if anyone.
Do they have an AA-type organization for narcissists?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It’s why I don’t like Pate as much as people here do. He acts like he knows more than he does
Meh, I think it's more about helping some listeners understand how these things work. Like everyone who is convinced Grubbs was offered and turned Bama down, etc.

But zero chance he's going to burn the bridges that yielded that info.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He's not trying to tell you who, he's trying to tell you what has happened. We've heard of, what, two people being interviewed? His point is there are more, and when Saban makes his choice, we'll know.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He's not trying to tell you who, he's trying to tell you what has happened. We've heard of, what, two people being interviewed? His point is there are more, and when Saban makes his choice, we'll know.
He emphasized there were more people interviewed than the names that were put out and that getting information on coaching searches was very hard to do because so many people (especially when it comes to Saban) do not want to be "that guy" whose loose lips sinks their career or future opportunities.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Meh, I think it's more about helping some listeners understand how these things work. Like everyone who is convinced Grubbs was offered and turned Bama down, etc.

That’s my take on it.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I think....in my humble opinion....that a Rees hire would be a win.

Now, if we promote Grantham to DC....thats a huge swing and miss.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m shocked….shocked, I tell you…SHOCKED that a media personality would have an ego and a need to feed an image.

I’d lots rather have him say what he said than make stuff up based on what the assistant trainer’s girlfriend’s mother’s manicurist said — Lookin’ at you, Clay Travis….and you, Joel Klatt….and you TDAlabama…and you BamaHammer.

If you’re not going to listen to media types that have egos and need constant affirmation, you’re going to miss out on the good ones — who also have egos and need affirmation. They just manage it better than the more insufferable blowhards who make a living betting on the short duration of the general public’s collective memory.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Pate is without a doubt the best in the business at what he does. It’s really not even up for debate. That doesn’t mean people have to like him, but he is really the only level-headed guy in that arena.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I think Pate said something that we actually discussed on here several years ago shortly after Saban decided to change the type (size) of defensive players he recruited for the front seven to combat the fast pace offenses. That at some point, the defensive college landscape would be ripe for switching back to a more physical, ground-and-pound offense, to take advantage of the smaller (but faster) defenses.

Pate seems to believe this is exactly what UGA has done yet still has kept a balance of the "new stuff" (RPO's, tempo, etc.) in place and wonders if this is what Alabama and Nick Saban are about to do as well and Rees fits more of that mold of being able to do that.

Pate also makes it clear that the information about what happened with Grubb is pure speculation and not much was actually "reported", just mainly "alleged", and in the journalism world there is a big difference between "reported" and "alleged". In other words, as many have said on here, the Grubb to Alabama may have never reached seriousness and there was more "alleged" news than "reported" as with Rees.
I remember reading or watching an interview with Coach Saban a few years ago when he was talking about this also. basically the jist of the conversation was that at some point everybody would adjust to these fastball offenses, the defense will get lighter and faster to keep up with them. Then in about 10-12 years somebody would come out with this new powerful offense based on running with power and they will have some fancy name for it like "wishbone" or "power I" or something like that.

Or as Coach Bryant used to say, "the same things win that always won. You just have a bunch of different excuses when you lose"

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.