Kareem Jackson committed to Alabama

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
Well, can't really say I'm excited about a 2 star who we took from Vandy. To be honest, I really don't like it..... but as I've said before, I trust the staff...

They really must not have liked Sherod Murdock... Wow.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Take a look at his shuttle time . Off the charts . The guy obviously has some quicks .

Stephen323

All-American
May 29, 2003
Duluth, GA
Well, can't really say I'm excited about a 2 star who we took from Vandy. To be honest, I really don't like it..... but as I've said before, I trust the staff...

They really must not have liked Sherod Murdock... Wow.

How would you feel about a no star that we took from Florida Atlantic and Florida A&M?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
2* per Rivals..........4.52 in the 40
he's a bit quicker than that....TI is reporting a 4.4

Note on prep school kids: they don't always get a ton of recognition, unless they are already HS graduates and were touted before going there. Prep schools are very tightly run. Not a lot of film gets out to the public, though they do to coaches. If a recruiting service doesn't show up for their predetermined combine dates, they misjudge some of these prospects.

crimson_blood

All-American
Jul 22, 2006
Helena, AL
he's a bit quicker than that....TI is reporting a 4.4

Note on prep school kids: they don't always get a ton of recognition, unless they are already HS graduates and were touted before going there. Prep schools are very tightly run. Not a lot of film gets out to the public, though they do to coaches. If a recruiting service doesn't show up for their predetermined combine dates, they misjudge some of these prospects.
Good point RTO. I'm telling you this kid can play. He's built alot like Marlin Jackson from the Colts...very fast and very quick. Played RB, WR, DB, PR and KR in high school for a great program. DeMeco Ryans and Tyrone Prothro were not highly touted out of high school either. The main thing with Jackson is that he WANTS to be in Tuscaloosa, and he talked about how Saban was up front about how he was gonna hafta earn it. He'll come in and work his tail off with a good attitude.

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
How would you feel about a no star that we took from Florida Atlantic and Florida A&M?
I think after they viewed tape, he was a 3 star. Don't get me wrong. I think our guys can evaluate talent... It's just not exactly what I expected.

We've dropped a 4 star(Marve) and a 3 star and picked up a 3 star and a 2 star.

I know at LSU he started with 3's and 2's and then worked his way up to 4 and 5's, by the time he left, but I just thought we'd skip the diamond in the rough stage...... but I do understand that being late in the process puts us at a distinct disadvantage.

I do trust the staff, though, so I'm not really worried. Also, we are pretty good in the secondary. Chris Ball was a pretty good recruiter IMO, so there won't be the pressure to start him right away, so hopefully he can learn some.

JA was a pretty good pickup, and to be honest with you, I wasn't excited about him either, so you see how much credibility I have. :)

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
It's not all about the "40" . Hips and quickness are extremely important for CB's . His shuttle time is one of the best I've ever seen .:smile:

Stephen323

All-American
May 29, 2003
Duluth, GA
I think after they viewed tape, he was a 3 star. Don't get me wrong. I think our guys can evaluate talent... It's just not exactly what I expected.

To echo the earlier point, Jackson probably has not had much more of an evaluation than Arenas did. He was a kid coming out of prep school and going to Vandy. I would think there is a better than even chance that he gets an upgrade once the experts "re-evaluate".

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005

I know at LSU he started with 3's and 2's and then worked his way up to 4 and 5's, by the time he left, but I just thought we'd skip the diamond in the rough stage...... but I do understand that being late in the process puts us at a distinct disadvantage.

I do trust the staff, though, so I'm not really worried. Also, we are pretty good in the secondary. Chris Ball was a pretty good recruiter IMO, so there won't be the pressure to start him right away, so hopefully he can learn some.

JA was a pretty good pickup, and to be honest with you, I wasn't excited about him either, so you see how much credibility I have. :)
There are more important things than "stars" sometimes. If you've got a kid that wants to play here and is willing to put it on the line for the Tide, then I will take him anyday over somebody that may be rated a little higher, but doesn't want to be here.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
You're putting too much stock into the "star" system TexasBammer. Saban is widely known as one of the best talent evaluators in all of football, he wouldn't offer this kid if he didn't think he could play and play really good.

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
already said that in this thread....."out of left field"
Now wait a minute! I thought it was RIGHT field! :rolleyes:

Good point RTO. I'm telling you this kid can play. He's built alot like Marlin Jackson from the Colts...very fast and very quick. Played RB, WR, DB, PR and KR in high school for a great program. DeMeco Ryans and Tyrone Prothro were not highly touted out of high school either. The main thing with Jackson is that he WANTS to be in Tuscaloosa, and he talked about how Saban was up front about how he was gonna hafta earn it. He'll come in and work his tail off with a good attitude.
Good point yourself, 'blood!
Take a look at his shuttle time . Off the charts . The guy obviously has some quicks
Obviously CNS was paying more attention to this, than how many stars the recruiting "eggsperts" were willing to give him. Welcome Kareem!!

"It's rolling, baby!"

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL

He also won a national championship mostly with those 2 and 3 stars you speak of. He obviously knows what he is doing. BTW the 2006 Defensive rookie of the year/ 2005 all-american linebacker DR was a 3 star in high school. Our all time single season receiving leader DJH was a 3 star. I honestly could not care less what rivals or scout thinks of our recruiting classes. They dont have a NC ring do they?

Also, the recruiting season isnt over yet. Rolando mcclain is 5 spots in the Rivals100 from being a 5 star. We still have allen bailey, joe mcknight, and noel devine all on the radar.

Last edited:

crimsonwarrior2

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2005
cullman,AL
Actually DJ Hall was a 5* on scout but then he was in a car accident and hurt his ankle pretty bad before his senior season. He played hurt most of his senior season thats why he wasnt rated any higher.

brothergun

Dec 31, 2004
Oxford, Alabama
It seems like we have this small discussion on 3,4 and 5 star players every year. As we all know some of our 3 stars turn out to be our better players. I think coach Saban and other good recruiting coaches look at can this player fit in "our scheme" of football. I really think our coach is looking at what our biggest weakness is trying to fill some of the gaps. All I can say is next year's recruiting class...................:biggrin:
ROLL TIDE!!

TheCrimsonLiver

All-SEC
Aug 21, 2006
Pell City
If there is one part of this football team Coach Saban should have alot of experience in would be evaluating DB talent. Everyone knows that the DB's are his babies to raise.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I Know the little points game the fans like to play this guy won't help. I would be more worried if this was a guy brought in by one of the lesser experienced coaches but since Burton Burns had been evaluating him I'll assume he knows talent when he sees it.

The recruiting sites are correct in that signing higher ranked classes gets you to BCS games, but on an individual basis there are certainly many players that fall between the cracks. Players who played out of position, players who were poorly coached in high school, players who were late bloomers etc.... My senior year in high school I was 5' 11" 180 and ran a 4.5 40 and I played guard, why? because we needed a guard, the next option was a 10th grader. What was I going to do? refuse? Its a team game.

BAMAHD

All-American
Sep 20, 2003
B,ham Al
Miller Safrit, who evaluates prospects for Scout.com, attended a combine at Fork Union in December and reported rave reviews for Jackson by college scouts present. He also stated that Jackson could see his star rating increased to four stars.. . . all the major schools were recruiting him. The University of Georgia, Central Florida, UAB, Tulane, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn and LSU.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.