BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
DuBose seemed like a lazy hire at the time. He only had one year as DC, 1996. Alabama lost three times that year: 13–20 at Tennessee, 16–17 at Miss State, and 30–45 against Florida in the SEC Championship Game. We'd have fired Pete Golding for that.
You mean good D line coach

Reactions: Superdad
I know plenty of you like to suck on lemons, but can we just move forward at this point?

Steele is the man; he's our man; he's Saban's man. He's a Bama man, again!

The negative vibe with this is just utterly depressing!
The news just dropped Sunday night, so it’s not even 48 hours old yet. It’s a long offseason and people use these boards to vent frustration and gradually talk themselves into thinking everything is going to be awesome. The problem was compounded in this case by months—if not years—of hope that Golding would move on and then media reports of sexy new candidates who might replace him. Hiring a retread who failed at his most recent stop is kind of a letdown.

But we’ve already reached the point where most posters have been talked into this being a great hire that will restore the aggressive defenses of yore.

Last edited:
Reactions: tideindc

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The news just dropped Sunday night, so it’s not even 48 hours old yet. It’s a long offseason and people use these boards to vent frustration and gradually talk themselves into thinking everything is going to be awesome. The problem head compounded in this case by months—if not years—of hope that Golding would move on and then media reports of sexy new candidates who might replace him. Hiring a retread who failed at his most recent stop is kind of a letdown.

But we’ve already reached the point where most posters have been talked into this being a great hire that will restore the aggressive defenses of yore.
People wanted Golding gone. They said anybody would be better. They got what they wished for.

Steele will be better and the Bama D will be better. The former players speaking out know it too.

BTW, we tolerate Eeyores here, but they aren't typically that popular and when they speak up they usually get a collective eye-roll. Don't let yourself get sucked into that black hole.

BTW, we tolerate Eeyores here, but they aren't typically that popular and when they speak up they usually get a collective eye-roll. Don't let yourself get sucked into that black hole.
I rooted for the team in the Perkins and Curry days, was in my first year in grad school when we won the 1992 title under Stallings, and then endured the long stretch between then and Saban's arrival in 2007. So I'm well aware of how great we have it as fans and how fleeting this can all be.

I thought BOB was a perfectly fine OC but a dropoff from Lane and Sark. I thought Golding never came into his own as a DC but we managed to go undefeated in 2020 with him in the slot. I think Rees and Steele will be fine but don't know that they're an upgrade.

I think Georgia will and should be favored to threepeat in 2023 and that we're the team most likely to knock them off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I rooted for the team in the Perkins and Curry days, was in my first year in grad school when we won the 1992 title under Stallings, and then endured the long stretch between then and Saban's arrival in 2007. So I'm well aware of how great we have it as fans and how fleeting this can all be.

I thought BOB was a perfectly fine OC but a dropoff from Lane and Sark. I thought Golding never came into his own as a DC but we managed to go undefeated in 2020 with him in the slot. I think Rees and Steele will be fine but don't know that they're an upgrade.

I think Georgia will and should be favored to threepeat in 2023 and that we're the team most likely to knock them off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I"m not questioning your fandom just your judgment of why it took you so many years to find Tidefans.com. :D

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If both coordinators can bring back the nasty attitude and lose the anxiety, I’ll be happy.

I’ve never been more embarrassed in my life at something a Bama player said than the anxiety comment.
When that came out it confirmed to me we had lost our edge as a program.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I haven't because Schumann should be all Bama.

He went to school here and graduated from here and cut his teeth in coaching under CNS

I mean WHY wouldn't he want to come 'Home'?

Leonhard might have his reasons but I'm not sure what they are because Alabama is step up from Wisconsin without a doubt. Would he rather just sit at home for $1 Million? I mean maybe I guess but it seems like missing out on a huge opportunity.

It could all also be that no one that is Elite and can call their shot wants to work for CNS which is kind of sad.

Maybe it's true that we can only attract Rehab projects and Retreads that NEED a job to get their careers back on track.

It's frustrating because our stranglehold on CFB is slipping away.
Yeah, a little frustrated with Schumann if he was approached.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, Marquis Maze said this about the hire: "That’s how I feel about K. Steel he was my recruiting coach and it was nothing but tough stuff that he brought out of me. Great hire to start bringing some of that toughness back! Roll Tide"

In describing the defense the last couple of years, "tough," "hard-hitting," and "brutal" were not words that came readily to mind.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, a little frustrated with Schumann if he was approached.
See, here's the problem. We don't even know if CNS talked to him. If, as it is rumored to be true, Kirby lets him call the D as he wants, I can see why he wouldn't want CNS dictating how he'd call it here. Also someone said he was Kirby's GA at Bama. He may feel more loyal to Kirby than to Bama or CNS. Plus...he's won 2 NC in a row...a lot of reason to not even pick up the phone IF THERE WAS A CALL!

And did we even talk to Leonhard or Lake??? Was there ever any genuine interest from CNS?

The problem we fans have is we invent a lot of what we think is happening cause we are hoping it's happening (I'm guilty too) and then we have a huge letdown because what we hoped would happen never even happen.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
People wanted Golding gone. They said anybody would be better. They got what they wished for.

Steele will be better and the Bama D will be better. The former players speaking out know it too.

I’m all for giving Steele support. He is all our‘s now. But what’s up with trying to silence people’s opinion?Is it an opinion board or not?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m all for giving Steele support. He is all our‘s now. But what’s up with trying to silence people’s opinion?Is it an opinion board or not?
Yeah it is. My opinions just differ with some Eeyores. 😁

Seriously, you are correct...I fully support the right to vent over disappointment.

I was initially disappointed too over the news, but I'm trying to see the positives.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My problem with this is that either Steele is a national championship-caliber DC or he isn't.
He has a 1994 national championship ring with Nebraska -as a LB coach.

If he's not, we're wasting one of the precious few years left with Saban at the helm. If he is, then replacing him with Pruitt isn't necessary.
Pruitt is 16 years younger than Steele, so I'd say there's more to it than "did he win a national championship."

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
See, here's the problem. We don't even know if CNS talked to him. If, as it is rumored to be true, Kirby lets him call the D as he wants, I can see why he wouldn't want CNS dictating how he'd call it here. Also someone said he was Kirby's GA at Bama. He may feel more loyal to Kirby than to Bama or CNS. Plus...he's won 2 NC in a row...a lot of reason to not even pick up the phone IF THERE WAS A CALL!

And did we even talk to Leonhard or Lake??? Was there ever any genuine interest from CNS?

The problem we fans have is we invent a lot of what we think is happening cause we are hoping it's happening (I'm guilty too) and then we have a huge letdown because what we hoped would happen never even happen.
I know that CNS said early on after the season that he would hire who he thought should be hired and not who others wanted. That seemed to indicate that it would not be Pruitt, Schumann, Leonard or Lake on the D side. CNS often makes what he's going to do fairly plain, but many fans think he's obfuscating and "playing 3 D chess".

He's usually reasonably straight-forward. One thing he does do is consider the feelings of others, especially players, coaches, administrators and their families and crafts his answers accordingly. It's well known that he does not care for many in the media, but there are not a few that he does respect - Cecil being the prime example..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know that CNS said early on after the season that he would hire who he thought should be hired and not who others wanted. That seemed to indicate that it would not be Pruitt, Schumann, Leonard or Lake on the D side. CNS often makes what he's going to do fairly plain, but many fans think he's obfuscating and "playing 3 D chess".

He's usually reasonably straight-forward. One thing he does do is consider the feelings of others, especially players, coaches, administrators and their families and crafts his answers accordingly. It's well known that he does not care for many in the media, but there are not a few that he does respect - Cecil being the prime example..
From the beginning I never thought it would be Pruit. I remember posting CNS wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole because he was too toxic with the UT NCAA problems.

But true to form, I got sucked into thinking it could happen too. This is how we can all be guilty of "board think."

Reactions: BamaInBham

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.