Link: Koko has passed...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
RIP to our good friend.

Was watching the movie "Jurassic World" last night (that's the one with Chris Pratt) and part of the story dealt with the human and animal (in this case Raptor) relationship.

Early in the movie the female lead actress tells Pratt he was selected for a park-related endeavour because he "controls" the Raptors so well. He stops her and says (paraphrasing) "That's your problem....you are always thinking in terms of control. We have a partnership built on "trust"...and that's why I can do the things I do."

Of course this concept comes full circle in the last scene where one of his raptors saves the day.

Some people will never understand the amazing intellect of animals.....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Was watching the movie "Jurassic World" last night (that's the one with Chris Pratt) and part of the story dealt with the human and animal (in this case Raptor) relationship.

Early in the movie the female lead actress tells Pratt he was selected for a park-related endeavour because he "controls" the Raptors so well. He stops her and says (paraphrasing) "That's your problem....you are always thinking in terms of control. We have a partnership built on "trust"...and that's why I can do the things I do."

Of course this concept comes full circle in the last scene where one of his raptors saves the day.
Gah! Spoiler alert!

J/K, I own that one and I've seen it multiple times.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
RIP to our good friend.

Some people will never understand the amazing intellect of animals.....
On a talk show on NPR, last night, they had a paleontologist discussing Jurassic park. He said that recreating a dinosaur couldn't be done - DNA just too old. OTOH, he said mammoths would be easy. He and the other panelist then discussed the "should" aspect...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I remember being blown away by the implications of an ape having the intelligence to engage in conversation. That had a profound influence on me.

I found this video of Robin Williams visiting Koko. Apparently she liked to be tickled and had a captivating smile.
I'm sorry I never got to meet her.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
On a talk show on NPR, last night, they had a paleontologist discussing Jurassic park. He said that recreating a dinosaur couldn't be done - DNA just too old. OTOH, he said mammoths would be easy. He and the other panelist then discussed the "should" aspect...
I think they're getting pretty close on the mammoths. Mammoth ivory is a pretty big black market item in Siberia. Since it's been frozen, some of the DNA should still be good.

The news of Koko will hurt my wife.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think they're getting pretty close on the mammoths. Mammoth ivory is a pretty big black market item in Siberia. Since it's been frozen, some of the DNA should still be good.

The news of Koko will hurt my wife.
I think it's more than just "close." I think it's being worked on in the lab and just about complete, but that may be what you mean...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.