LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm looking at the Brooks Falls cam right now and this one male, a good-sized one, has stubbornly situated himself where there no fish. Meanwhile, the salmon are trying to jump the falls right beside the near bank... :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He's intently looking at the falls, instead of positioning himself at the top so he can catch the fish at the top of the leap, where they pause in the air for a moment...
i watched for a few seconds and couldn't figure out what he was up to. it was almost like he was mesmerized by something.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i watched for a few seconds and couldn't figure out what he was up to. it was almost like he was mesmerized by something.
Earlier, the two half-grown males were behaving similarly. I don't understand it either. It's almost as if they don't "get it." I wonder if they were orphaned and not trained OTOH, they seldom make it to that size as orphans...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think some of them are just done eating, hyperphagia or not. I was watching the Brooks Falls cam just now and counted seven at once time, with their bellies just about dragging the water. One, near the camera, was in a side slough with numerous fish all around him, easy to see with their red backs, and he never made a move to catch one. He ambled over to a little island, dawdled, and then crossed over towards river left. Just wasn't interested...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Barry, I don't know why they're showing this as live, but all the bears are hibernating until March, at least. Also, Brooks Lake, above the falls, is frozen and the falls are also, partially. Also, there are no salmon at this time of year...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Barry, I don't know why they're showing this as live, but all the bears are hibernating until March, at least. Also, Brooks Lake, above the falls, is frozen and the falls are also, partially. Also, there are no salmon at this time of year...
The cam is in "highlights" mode.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Also, note that all the deciduous vegetation around the banks is in nice mid-summer green...
Oh yeah....duh......well it said "LIVE" when I first posted it....thought it was nice looking weather for this time of year but was happy to see so many bears enjoying themselves I didn't think past that point...:p

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh yeah....duh......well it said "LIVE" when I first posted it....thought it was nice looking weather for this time of year but was happy to see so many bears enjoying themselves I didn't think past that point...:p
That was what I figured. The only bears out and about at this time of year are those which are too ill, old or injured to have fattened for up enough for hibernation. They are called "winter bears," which to the inhabitants means a bear fitting into one of those categories. They are, of course, ravenously hungry and extremely dangerous and feared...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.