My daughter has an ovarian tumor

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I realize this is the wrong forum, but most of the people I hold dear on TF are here in NS, and those are the folks I want to reach. If the thread needs to be moved, I'm fine with that.

My 13 yo daughter, Mia, has been having abdominal issues for a couple of weeks. She felt like she couldn't empty her bladder. We suspected a UTI, but two different tests were negative. She was also given a laxative to see if that would help. This morning at 4:00 AM she complained of her side and back hurting. My wife took her to the doctor today where an ultrasound revealed a six inch mass above her bladder.

Mia is scheduled for a CT scan on Thursday. She is doing fine; my wife is not doing as well. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Nothing else in the world matters when something is not right with your children.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I realize this is the wrong forum, but most of the people I hold dear on TF are here in NS, and those are the folks I want to reach. If the thread needs to be moved, I'm fine with that.

My 13 yo daughter, Mia, has been having abdominal issues for a couple of weeks. She felt like she couldn't empty her bladder. We suspected a UTI, but two different tests were negative. She was also given a laxative to see if that would help. This morning at 4:00 AM she complained of her side and back hurting. My wife took her to the doctor today where an ultrasound revealed a six inch mass above her bladder.

Mia is scheduled for a CT scan on Thursday. She is doing fine; my wife is not doing as well. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Nothing else in the world matters when something is not right with your children.
I hope that they can find what is wrong, and get it treated quickly. Abdominal issues are just awful and really can be scary to be honest.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019

Praying for a full recovery! God Bless your family!

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Stay positive, GB. Try to get your wife to stay positive, too.

Regardless of the cause of the mass, Mia will be getting treatment for it. It’s incredibly important to the success of her treatment that she approach it with confidence, and she will be taking her cues from the two of you.

It’s perfectly natural for her, you and Mrs. GB to be anxious and scared. But Mia really needs to be confident in the doctors, nurses, therapists, and treatments.

You will have your own fears and doubts and come-aparts, but they need to be expressed in private, away from Mia. You have an unfathomably tough job right now....you have to be strong enough to make Mia strong.

Hang in there, brother. You will never be a better dad than you’re being right now.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Stay positive, GB. Try to get your wife to stay positive, too.

Regardless of the cause of the mass, Mia will be getting treatment for it. It’s incredibly important to the success of her treatment that she approach it with confidence, and she will be taking her cues from the two of you.

It’s perfectly natural for her, you and Mrs. GB to be anxious and scared. But Mia really needs to be confident in the doctors, nurses, therapists, and treatments.

You will have your own fears and doubts and come-aparts, but they need to be expressed in private, away from Mia. You have an unfathomably tough job right now....you have to be strong enough to make Mia strong.

Hang in there, brother. You will never be a better dad than you’re being right now.
He said all that needs to be said...prayers for you all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

God, I hope it's negative. I guess I should say that my daughter in France is facing similar. She has a lesion on her right sacral region and is waiting the months it takes in France for the appt with the oncologist to roll around. She also has been tentatively dxed with "stiff person syndrome," which is an autoimmune disease which progresses to the point of paralysis, although there are treatments. Being French medicine, she may find out one day. She's applied for disability. Her and her husband's little dream restaurant has been shut down by the government for a year now for Covid. Nobody ever worked harder to make a business succeed. Whether it can be revived by her husband alone is up in the air right now. Everyone is suffering in one way or another...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
God, I hope it's negative. I guess I should say that my daughter in France is facing similar. She has a lesion on her right sacral region and is waiting the months it takes in France for the appt with the oncologist to roll around. She also has been tentatively dxed with "stiff person syndrome," which is an autoimmune disease which progresses to the point of paralysis, although there are treatments. Being French medicine, she may find out one day. She's applied for disability. Her and her husband's little dream restaurant has been shut down by the government for a year now for Covid. Nobody ever worked harder to make a business succeed. Whether it can be revived by her husband alone is up in the air right now. Everyone is suffering in one way or another...
Hopefully the tumor is benign.

I've only ever seen one case of Stiff Person Syndrome. The amount of controlled substances, including valium for spasms AND xanax for anxiety and long and short acting pain meds, was unreal - and other muscle relaxers on top of that. I was only covering for a colleague, but the amounts made me quite nervous even though it was long term with the same regimen.

I hope you all get some good news soon. Sounds like she really needs some.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Goodness, I hate to hear that about your daughter. She has had way more than her fair share of obstacles in the last year.

I was unfamiliar with stiff person syndrome. In looking around to familiarize myself with the disease I came across this article about two women who went into remission after autologous stem cell transplantation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Goodness, I hate to hear that about your daughter. She has had way more than her fair share of obstacles in the last year.

I was unfamiliar with stiff person syndrome. In looking around to familiarize myself with the disease I came across this article about two women who went into remission after autologous stem cell transplantation.

I'll try her and see if she's discovered it. Medicine in that corner of France is a generation behind here. They are in a rural area, but they live within an easy drive of Lyon, one of the major population centers of France. The has some other problems concurrent with the autoimmune one. The rheumatologist she's seeing has just put her on methotrexate, so, at last, something is being tried...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'll try her and see if she's discovered it. Medicine in that corner of France is a generation behind here. They are in a rural area, but they live within an easy drive of Lyon, one of the major population centers of France. The has some other problems concurrent with the autoimmune one. The rheumatologist she's seeing has just put her on methotrexate, so, at last, something is being tried...
Plasmapheresis and IVIg are two other common treatments to try to beat back the immune system.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads